IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Weak Heated seat ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 07:08 AM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Weak Heated seat ?

Hey guys, Car is a 2014 is350 awd fsport "nulex" seats bought it a couple of months ago. It started getting cold these past couple of days, so i started to use the heated seats/seat warmers. Started with the highest level and after a couple of mins it goes down to level two and then level one, but after leaving it on from the highest to the lowest level the seat is at best just barely warm. If the heat is on in the car i can barely tell if my seat warmers are even working since the temp blends in. On the other hand the heat and ac is amazing in the lex. In my audi and benz the heated seats will burn your behind in just a couple of mins
I did some searching and came upon this thread where people is having issue with theirs also, which lexus knows about. Its been a year since anyone post anything new or any updates. I want to know if any people have this issue and if lexus have a fix for it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Old 01-04-18, 08:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by a1rh3adsz
Hey guys, Car is a 2014 is350 awd fsport "nulex" seats bought it a couple of months ago. It started getting cold these past couple of days, so i started to use the heated seats/seat warmers. Started with the highest level and after a couple of mins it goes down to level two and then level one, but after leaving it on from the highest to the lowest level the seat is at best just barely warm. If the heat is on in the car i can barely tell if my seat warmers are even working since the temp blends in. On the other hand the heat and ac is amazing in the lex. In my audi and benz the heated seats will burn your behind in just a couple of mins
I did some searching and came upon this thread where people is having issue with theirs also, which lexus knows about. Its been a year since anyone post anything new or any updates. I want to know if any people have this issue and if lexus have a fix for it.

I don't think there's a fix - since early on in my ownership I've noticed the behavior of the heated seats is variable depending on conditions. Seems like it wants to get the seats to a certain temp but will stop once they get there. In addition, your perception of temperature is going to vary based on how cold you are. Ever walked in the cold, then shook someone else's hand inside? It felt warmer than usual due to how cold you were. I know for me, my heated seats always seem to "work well" when I've been outside for a while - no coincidence.

I have noticed the same pattern with the heated steering wheel. Seems it "feels" the best when it's really cold. In reality, it's just a larger temperature gap that I perceive as more warmth.

Yes, I sometimes wish there was a higher temperature setting available, but at least it doesn't set me on fire I guess...
Old 01-04-18, 04:49 PM
wycy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed this too. My 2015 Lexus heated seats are far weaker than they were in my old BMW.

Last edited by wycy; 01-07-18 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-07-18, 10:01 AM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a known problem for the 2014 model which was corrected in subsequent model years. There's isn't a fix for it.
Old 01-08-18, 12:22 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If you live in cold area like the east coast, the seat warmers are terrible.
For me in CA, they do just fine. Would be nice if Lexus added another level for the colder states since it gets a lot of complaints.
Old 01-08-18, 02:25 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Really? we just had a week of -31F (-35C) up here in Alberta Canada, and the heated seats on high works very well at cold start, than I would need to switch them down to 2 dots after about 15mins and eventually down to 1 dot after about 25mins of driving.
Old 01-08-18, 03:05 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Seat heaters on my 2018 get really hot really quick.
Old 01-11-18, 04:57 PM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well i did some testing with a infrared thermometer and my lexus is parked in my climate control garage. It shows 62'F on a cold seat, with the heated seat on high setting until it drop down to the second setting which is about 15mins the seat are 79'F. I did the same test but this time with me sitting down on the seat and then got up and it is 89'F. Next i turn the heat on to 71'F and fan on speed 3 which is what i have most of the time, with also the heat seat setting on highest waited about 15mins for it to drop to the second setting, then tested the seats to be at 86'F. Same test but with me sitting on the seats again and test came back to 92'F.
Does this seem to be right? I lay my hands down on a cold seat to feel the temp and then feel it again with the heated seats on high for about 15mins and i can barely tell the difference.

I did a test on my audi which is my daily and parked outside. It has 6 setting from 6 being the hottest, i usually have it on 5 then back to 4 and then 3. Cold seat are 53'F, heated seat on 5th setting for about 15min 93'F
with me on it tested to be at 102'F
Old 01-11-18, 10:24 PM
luuser75
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2014 IS350 and the heated seats are a joke. Granted I live in Socal where our winter mornings are around 55 degrees yet still freeze with the seats on the highest setting...
Old 01-12-18, 08:37 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Yeah common issue that is known. We've been talking about this on the forums since 2014 model since first released.
Doesn't get as hot as other cars, even older other model Lexus vehicles.

Just have to live with it at this point.
Old 12-21-18, 11:09 AM
RXDenise
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a RX350 2018 model. This is my first time owning a Lexus. I used to have a Mercedes GLA 250, and I had no problem with its heated seats. I did not check the RX 350 heated seats when I did a test drive. Having heated seats is one of my top must-have in a car. When driving my new RX 350 home, I noticed that the seat was not hot as I expected. I brought my car back for service. They replaced the heat elements for me and set maximum hot. However, I tried again and felt the same. I brought my car back to the service second time. After checking my car, the service department called and told me that because of the seat materials, I can't feel the heat. OMG!!!!! This problem bothers me so much. I just wanted to return the car. I feel like I'm spending more than $50k for something that I'm not happy with it.
Old 12-21-18, 02:35 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
Seat heaters on my 2018 get really hot really quick.
Same here FWIW (data point) my 16 gets very hot very fast.
Old 12-21-18, 06:44 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by wycy
I noticed this too. My 2015 Lexus heated seats are far weaker than they were in my old BMW.
Indeed, the seats in my Z4 felt like they left grillmarks if you left them on more than a few minutes. And yes, going from that to the ones in my 2014 makes me check to see if they're on. At best they get a bit warm, although the steering wheel is decent.
Old 12-22-18, 11:58 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

My heated seats in my 2019 get hotter on the highest setting than any other car I’ve owned. At least twice as hot as my Acura TL.

I do admit the change from hot to medium is a huge step. I wish there was more of a difference between medium and low.
Old 12-22-18, 12:39 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
I do admit the change from hot to medium is a huge step. I wish there was more of a difference between medium and low.
"First World problems"

Quick Reply: Weak Heated seat ?