IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS250 Cold start problem!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-17, 07:32 AM
Walalito76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 IS250 Cold start problem!!!!!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I need some HELP ASAP please, I got a 2014 IS250, my issue is that the car starts and then dies after a couple of seconds during cold wheather, I did not have this problem last winter up here in upstate NY, I have manage to start the car but the only way to do it is by keeping the push start button pressed for about 3-4 minutes, once the car reaches a warmer temperature it doesnt do it anymore and Im able to start it even with the remote start thru my keyfob, but once the car sits overnight the problem persists.

Last edited by Walalito76; 12-29-17 at 07:47 AM. Reason: More specific Title
Old 12-29-17, 07:55 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would first ask you a few questions-
- How many miles do you have on the car?
- What modifications have you done?
-Do you use premium gas at every fill up, and do you keep it above a 1/2 tank full in the winter?
Old 12-29-17, 08:15 AM
Walalito76
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
I would first ask you a few questions-
- How many miles do you have on the car?
- What modifications have you done?
-Do you use premium gas at every fill up, and do you keep it above a 1/2 tank full in the winter?
The car has just over 52k
No mods done to it, straight stock
I used only premium gas and I have never let it go to down to 1/4 tank.
Old 12-29-17, 09:35 AM
Walalito76
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Welcome to Club Lexus and to the forum.

Sounds reminiscent of a throttle body issue I've had in the past. Have your throttle body assessed. If the TB is gummed up, when cold it does not allow sufficient flow for idle, when warmed up the gunk clears enough to allow sufficient function for idle. In the mean time, once started, instead of letting idle (and then die in your case), try holding the gas pedal so the rpms are slightly above idle, say around 1500 - 2000 for a minute or so and see if the car stays running using that routine.

Good luck and update the thread when you find out the solution.

This thread is similar.
thank you for replying, I did exactly what you mentioned yesterday but with no luck, the second I let go of the push start button it dies, I must keep the push start button pressed otherwise it dies, I checked the throttle and it seems fine, no crap in there, I even spay some carburator cleaner, but it only does it when the temperature is below 10 degrees, I just started it remotely and its fine, but this morning nothing. This is my first Lexus, I love my car and I would hate to get rid of it for some dumb crap like this. :,(
Old 12-30-17, 02:05 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Does it have a dealer install Lexus remote start, or is it aftermarket? They don't come from factory with remote start.
Having to hold the Push Start button in for any length of time is not normal is any world. The Push Start button is exactly that, a Push button, not a hold button.
The only time the Push Start should ever be held is for an emergency shutdown...and you only need to hold it for 3 seconds.
My best guess is the remote starter is aftermarket and it is starting to malfunction.
Old 12-30-17, 02:34 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

No check engine lights?
what happens if you start the car and then step on the gas?
Old 12-30-17, 07:25 PM
Walalito76
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
No check engine lights?
what happens if you start the car and then step on the gas?
no, no check engine light at all, I have an wireless ODBII adapater and once I manage to start the car I ran the test and no codes at all.

If the car starts I can step on the gas and bring up the revs as high as I want to but if I let go of the push start button just dies.
Old 12-31-17, 07:58 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what happened when the fuel pump of my Trans Am went out. But right now I have no idea.. keep us posted when you figure out what the issue is.
Old 12-31-17, 11:05 AM
Walalito76
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
That's what happened when the fuel pump of my Trans Am went out. But right now I have no idea.. keep us posted when you figure out what the issue is.
For what I have notice it only happens when the car is parked for a long period of time and the outside temperature is below 10 degrees, not taking in conaideration the Real feel temperature which is alot lower than normal temp, so Im assuming it has to do with the cold, last winter wasnt as brutal as this one and I had no issues, its not the battery, its not the fuel, the car starts bit dies out, I have to start it 15 -20 times leaving the push start button pressed until it finally stays running.
Old 12-31-17, 11:54 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Walalito76
For what I have notice it only happens when the car is parked for a long period of time and the outside temperature is below 10 degrees, not taking in conaideration the Real feel temperature which is alot lower than normal temp, so Im assuming it has to do with the cold, last winter wasnt as brutal as this one and I had no issues, its not the battery, its not the fuel, the car starts bit dies out, I have to start it 15 -20 times leaving the push start button pressed until it finally stays running.
Out on a whim, can you try starting your car by physically pressing the push to start with the key fob. Its a thing you do if the fob batteries are dying/dead.