IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

250 vs. 200t Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 10:12 AM
dev1n5
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250 vs. 200t Reliability

I'm looking to purchase a used IS. Currently I own a 2014 Camry Se with the 4 cylinder engine. All IS models will have more power and better performance than my camry, but in terms of long-term reliability which model would you guys recommend? I'm assuming IS 350's are most reliable, but unfortunately there aren't many of them out there. So between a used 250 or 200t, which would be a better buy?
Old 12-28-17, 01:28 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Generally NA is more reliable than turbo. I test drove both and went with the 250 for the smoothness of the V6(and sounds better) but the gas efficiency is pretty crappy(at least for me) where as the the 200t is a 4 cylinder turbo with more power and better gas. Although I couldn't stand the turbo lag and I wanted to move up from a 4 cylinder. But either way you're getting a lexus/japan made car so you're good in reliability regardless of which you choose.
Old 12-28-17, 03:34 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

overall, you won't go wrong with either. Toyota did their homework on the new engine. The 200T is the better engine than the 250. the 350, though old, is the choice if you want power.
Old 12-28-17, 05:38 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

The 200t is miles better than the 250. You may want to search the forums though. The only issues I've seen with the 200t is the vacuum regulator going bad. The new 2018 350 engine is a bit more updated.
Old 12-28-17, 06:36 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't say the 2.0 turbo is miles better than the 2.5 v6. I'd say they are very similar. They both have their pros and cons. They will yield you very similar mpg if all things being equal, with the slight edge going to the 4 cylinder turbo. The v6 will definitely be smoother and quieter. They're both pretty slow, with the turbo 4 being just a tad quicker. Probably won't be able to tell the difference under normal driving. So it boils down to which you prefer
Old 12-29-17, 12:43 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The IS 250 will be more reliable in the long term. It's an old engine, but they stuck with it for a reason.
You will get slightly better MPG with the IS 200.
Old 12-29-17, 07:03 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghza
The IS 250 will be more reliable in the long term. It's an old engine, but they stuck with it for a reason.
You will get slightly better MPG with the IS 200.
I wouldn't say reliable. It's still prone to the carbon buildup. Just to a lesser degree than the earlier IS250. If you want a reliable IS, get the 350.
Old 12-29-17, 07:44 AM
stbiss
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok- I am going to have to come to the defense of the 2.5 V6 - everyone seems to rag on it, but let me provide some perspective here since I have owned all three engines (2.5 V6, 2.0T, and 3.5 V6). If you want power/smoothness but not worried about fuel economy, by all means, go with the 3.5 V6 - my wife's old Highlander had this engine and I am sure it is even better in the smaller and lighter IS. So I currently own an IS 250 (2.5 V6) and a NX (2.0T) - they are two very different engines in character and performance. The IS V6 is silky smooth and very quiet at idle even with the AC on. Yes, it's only 208 horsepower and this is where it gets ragged on for - it is more than enough for my driving - not looking for a drag racer and I value refinement more. Couple that with 25-26 mpg in city driving and as high as 35 on the highway, it makes a wonderful combination. As for the 2.0T in my wife's NX, it is definitely more powerful and will outrun my IS, but not nearly as smooth and quiet - downfalls of the 4 cylinder/turbo layout. We actually have experienced lesser fuel mileage in the NX than the IS - you will kill your mileage if you kick that turbo in consistently. I had to snicker yesterday - my wife was riding with me yesterday in the IS and I was getting ready to back out of a parking space and she asked me if the car was on - it was and is so quiet at idle - she is used to the loudness of the NX engine. I wish they had put the 2.5 V6 in the NX.

So the 2.0T may be more fun to drive, but I prefer the silky smooth all around performance of the 2.5 V6. It all depends on what you place more importance on to make the decision on which engine is right for you - you cannot go wrong with any of them.
Old 12-29-17, 09:16 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by stbiss
Ok- I am going to have to come to the defense of the 2.5 V6 - everyone seems to rag on it, but let me provide some perspective here since I have owned all three engines (2.5 V6, 2.0T, and 3.5 V6). If you want power/smoothness but not worried about fuel economy, by all means, go with the 3.5 V6 - my wife's old Highlander had this engine and I am sure it is even better in the smaller and lighter IS. So I currently own an IS 250 (2.5 V6) and a NX (2.0T) - they are two very different engines in character and performance. The IS V6 is silky smooth and very quiet at idle even with the AC on. Yes, it's only 208 horsepower and this is where it gets ragged on for - it is more than enough for my driving - not looking for a drag racer and I value refinement more. Couple that with 25-26 mpg in city driving and as high as 35 on the highway, it makes a wonderful combination. As for the 2.0T in my wife's NX, it is definitely more powerful and will outrun my IS, but not nearly as smooth and quiet - downfalls of the 4 cylinder/turbo layout. We actually have experienced lesser fuel mileage in the NX than the IS - you will kill your mileage if you kick that turbo in consistently. I had to snicker yesterday - my wife was riding with me yesterday in the IS and I was getting ready to back out of a parking space and she asked me if the car was on - it was and is so quiet at idle - she is used to the loudness of the NX engine. I wish they had put the 2.5 V6 in the NX.

So the 2.0T may be more fun to drive, but I prefer the silky smooth all around performance of the 2.5 V6. It all depends on what you place more importance on to make the decision on which engine is right for you - you cannot go wrong with any of them.
The 3.5L isn't shared with the Highlander. It's a different engine with both direct and port injection.
Old 12-29-17, 11:07 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by stbiss

The 2.0T in the NX seems to have vibration issues. I think it's due to the transverse layout and engine mount configuration.

On my IS200t, the 4-banger is supremely smooth. And i'm incredibly sensitive to the finest/smallest details. I usually find a way to complain about everything =D

The downside is response. To get the smoothness, Lexus had to use very isolated mounts (if you watch videos on youtube, the 200T engine flexes a LOT.) so it could be that the response is dulled, but really on a commuter car with 240 hp, it's not a huge deal.

Conversely when I had my BMW 330i with M3 engine mounts, that thing had nearly instant response. But also vibrated at idle pretty noticeably. and that's on a supremely smooth BMW I6