IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Auto-Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 11:35 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
That's why i mentioned its not like doing a old Honda or Acura. I've done plenty of those in my past days as well.
You like dealing with CAN-H and CAN-L wires or even know how to deal with those? These wires already exist in the vehicle. instead you have to figure out which modules are needed for the whole thing to work. This is what you have to go up against if trying to add it to our newer Lexus vehicles. You have to replace/add all those control modules that can "speak" the proper CAN-H and CAN-L signals and chance of possibly having to program these modules to the car so it works.. Newer cars are all computer controlled, everything speaks to each other on a BUS and not standard 12v or GND signal to trigger stuff.

For my Day Job, I build bench setups of stereos from all types of newer vehicles from all makes that requiring modules from all over the vehicle mounted and wired together for them to work.
If you would like I can share with you wiring diagram of adding OEM mirror tilt and you will see how intense it looks with of all the modules involved in the circuit. I was going to attempt it but after reviewing it all, I designed it was not worth the trouble.

This is not a simple Sound system install. I can do that with my eyes closed.
I am not trying to scare you off from doing it. More power if you attempt it, in fact i'd give a helping hand in consulting and decipher wiring schematics and suggestions. I'll lend you my years of experience.
Did you try it on a 17? I remember my 06 Nissan didn't have a pin out for heated mirrors but than my09 had all the wires for every option already installed just not in use...
Old 09-15-17, 01:00 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

auto folding mirrors are cool...on a big wide car. our IS's fit easily even in a small garage. it's overkill to me...but i'd take it. lol
Old 09-15-17, 01:12 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ttsport15
Did you try it on a 17? I remember my 06 Nissan didn't have a pin out for heated mirrors but than my09 had all the wires for every option already installed just not in use...
Does not matter if its a 2014 or a 2017
A third generation IS is a third generation IS. Not that huge of a difference in wiring.
You comparing a 2017 to a 2006 year car? Really? That's a 10 year advancement in technology within those past years. IPhone wasn't even released in 2006.

a Nissan is easy, been there done that actually , helped a friend recently pull it off

Last edited by specONE; 09-15-17 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 01:56 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not comparing it to anything I just know with a few of my cars in the past the harness would be in place but the item wasn't there Fog lights for example I had a Gt and a friend had a bullitt gt had fogs the bullitt didn't from the factory but taped up under his bumber was the harness ... I was wondering if it would be the same how many different wiring harness will they put into basically the same car...
Old 09-15-17, 02:11 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by ttsport15
I'm not comparing it to anything I just know with a few of my cars in the past the harness would be in place but the item wasn't there Fog lights for example I had a Gt and a friend had a bullitt gt had fogs the bullitt didn't from the factory but taped up under his bumber was the harness ... I was wondering if it would be the same how many different wiring harness will they put into basically the same car...
Wiring harness is actually not he problem with these newer cars, its the Computer Modules that control it that are missing that needs to be added or needs to be reprogrammed and us regular end users will not be able to do this.
The wiring is already all there regardless of configuration, its all CANBUS controlled, you need the right module to tell the new power folding mirrors what to do. Two little wires send tons of information down it and do multiple jobs, depending on the birrate, they can be doing 100 of things at once. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus
This compared to older cars that Instead have just one wire do this job, add another wire to do another job.
The following users liked this post:
ttsport15 (09-15-17)
Old 09-15-17, 03:25 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
That's why i mentioned its not like doing a old Honda or Acura. I've done plenty of those in my past days as well.
You like dealing with CAN-H and CAN-L wires or even know how to deal with those? These wires already exist in the vehicle. instead you have to figure out which modules are needed for the whole thing to work. This is what you have to go up against if trying to add it to our newer Lexus vehicles. You have to replace/add all those control modules that can "speak" the proper CAN-H and CAN-L signals and chance of possibly having to program these modules to the car so it works.. Newer cars are all computer controlled, everything speaks to each other on a BUS and not standard 12v or GND signal to trigger stuff.

For my Day Job, I build bench setups of stereos from all types of newer vehicles from all makes that requiring modules from all over the vehicle mounted and wired together for them to work.
If you would like I can share with you wiring diagram of adding OEM mirror tilt and you will see how intense it looks with of all the modules involved in the circuit. I was going to attempt it but after reviewing it all, I designed it was not worth the trouble.

I am not trying to scare you off from doing it. More power if you attempt it, in fact i'd give a helping hand in consulting and decipher wiring schematics and suggestions. I'll lend you my years of experience.

Thanks for the info and offer for helping!

I'm guessing you had a set to install or attempted to install?
Old 09-15-17, 03:45 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
Thanks for the info and offer for helping!

I'm guessing you had a set to install or attempted to install?
no i did not ever have a set,
Again i looked over the wiring schematics to understand what was involved and decided forget this not worth the time and trouble and the amount of figuring out the circuitry and praying it may work and may end up at a dead end, which is why I initially suggested not to try.
Old 09-15-17, 04:12 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Would be cool to just manually wire it to a universal Toyota style switch near where the BSM switch goes and just toggle mirrors at will. Imagine going into Batman mode at night and flipping your mirrors closed. On a closed course racetrack of course =P Get a custom button made with a picture of batman illuminated.

oh wow they do make it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Push-switch-...NWoAlj&vxp=mtr
Old 09-16-17, 10:00 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Auto folding is a feature I think buyers of premium and luxury cars expect. With family cars like the Accord, Camry, Maxima
offering more "upscale" features, it makes you think twice about why you paid more for a luxury/premium car that lacks those features.

I rented a Chevy Sonic with push button and remote start.
Yes, I said remote start! On a subcompact rental car!

Lux buyers should demand more, especially when "lesser" brands are spoiling their clientele with said amenities.
The following users liked this post:
ttsport15 (09-17-17)
Old 09-17-17, 09:16 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion
Auto folding is a feature I think buyers of premium and luxury cars expect. With family cars like the Accord, Camry, Maxima
offering more "upscale" features, it makes you think twice about why you paid more for a luxury/premium car that lacks those features.

I rented a Chevy Sonic with push button and remote start.
Yes, I said remote start! On a subcompact rental car!

Lux buyers should demand more, especially when "lesser" brands are spoiling their clientele with said amenities.
Toyota has auto folding mirrors standard on the Corolla iM. I think that was pushing it on an econ box. If a Corolla iM has them standard, Lexus should be able to do the same thing on all their vehicles.

Remote start seems to be a standard nowadays. Everyone in my apt complex has remote start. A Dodge Dart, Nissan Altima and even a Sentra has remote start. It's also standard on the IS but you have to pay for a subscription.
Old 06-24-19, 06:40 PM
Gonzalito
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intresting your input

[QUOTE=specONE;9982719]That's why i mentioned its not like doing a old Honda or Acura. I've done plenty of those in my past days as well.

I am not trying to scare you off from doing it. More power if you attempt it, in fact i'd give a helping hand in consulting and decipher wiring schematics and suggestions. I'll lend you my years of experience.[/QUOTE ok I have a 2014 Camry and I'm looking for the folding mirrors upgrade can u please help
Old 03-22-20, 07:09 AM
armandckj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
Does anyone know if the 3IS in other countries come with Auto-Folding mirrors?

Has anyone done this swap??
Hi.
I used this item
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000551521228.html
works great.
be sure to aske the supplier to check that the wiring is correct to lock the door.
mine had a switched wire and the front door wold not lock.

hope this stil is of use to anyone.

armand
Old 03-24-20, 01:52 AM
armandckj
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

forget to add. also get some tape to make a wiring loom.
the unit comes with just exposed wires.
armand

Last edited by armandckj; 03-24-20 at 01:53 AM. Reason: typo