IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Auto-Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-17, 09:48 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Auto-Folding Mirrors

Does anyone know if the 3IS in other countries come with Auto-Folding mirrors?

Has anyone done this swap??
Old 09-12-17, 10:33 PM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes in Saudi Arabia it comes straight from the dealer also with a headlight washer.

This is my car

Old 09-12-17, 10:42 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

That's badass! I'd be interested if there was a kit out there to swap to the auto folding.
Old 09-13-17, 06:32 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

didn't the luxury model in Canada got it? at least in 2015 and 2016 did that I know of since that's when I bought my car.
Old 09-13-17, 07:15 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mesh704
Yes in Saudi Arabia it comes straight from the dealer also with a headlight washer.

This is my car

https://youtu.be/OxNf-eFLyxA

Nice!!

Are you able to ship a set to Canada??
Old 09-13-17, 10:46 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

you guys thinking this is super easy to do, it is not. this is integrated into the vehicles computers, if your car didnt have it, you will probably be missing modules and wires in certain pinout plugs.
These will be a very involved install, just like if someone wanted to get memory seats, mirror tilt or electronic tilt steering column.
Its not like a old Honda/Acura where its just the mirror and a relay and a switch making it work.

sucks we did not get these features but its not worth whats involved in getting these to work on a car that was not equipped with it.
The following users liked this post:
BokCh0y (08-28-18)
Old 09-13-17, 11:05 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

^ specONE is correct, just like the OEM f-sport fog lights... just to get them to light up, not too bad, but if you want them hocked up properly so every function and every dash indicator lights up properly, good luck hunting down all the missing wires and modules.

if OP were to use completely stand-alone wiring just for them to fold in and out, than not bad... and again, folding mirrors are available in Canada, no need to order from half way around the planet.
Old 09-14-17, 01:27 PM
ZISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay I'm from Canada, Are you telling me my is300 F-sport has folding mirrors and I didn't know?

I'm going to test this. Ill report back shortly.
Old 09-14-17, 01:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by ZISF
Okay I'm from Canada, Are you telling me my is300 F-sport has folding mirrors and I didn't know?

I'm going to test this. Ill report back shortly.
I doubt it. I think only the luxury package has it (not the F Sport).
Old 09-14-17, 08:19 PM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

nope, never did the IS series have folding mirrors. (NorthAmerica)
Old 09-15-17, 03:14 AM
aram94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 IS350 F sport (Bahraini-Middle East specs) and the autofolding, mirror tilt, memory seats, & electronic tilt steering column are all standard
Old 09-15-17, 08:13 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by specONE
you guys thinking this is super easy to do, it is not. this is integrated into the vehicles computers, if your car didnt have it, you will probably be missing modules and wires in certain pinout plugs.
These will be a very involved install, just like if someone wanted to get memory seats, mirror tilt or electronic tilt steering column.
Its not like a old Honda/Acura where its just the mirror and a relay and a switch making it work.

sucks we did not get these features but its not worth whats involved in getting these to work on a car that was not equipped with it.
I'm curious as to why it would be any harder?

Right now, I have heated mirrors on the IS. Let's say I do end up with a set of power folding ones. I can retain my heated mirror function, but isn't there 2 pins on the mirrors for the folding feature or that's not the case?

I'm asking, because I did this on my old RSX-S and I retained my heated function, on my sister's Integra it was a joke to do. What's so special about the mirrors on the IS? Why is the car's computer involved if I plan on running the power to it off the accessory line (Like in the RSX-S and Integra) just like how they would if someone installed a sound system.

I'm not bashing you in any way, I'm just asking, why is it different?
Old 09-15-17, 08:15 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by otakusan
^ specONE is correct, just like the OEM f-sport fog lights... just to get them to light up, not too bad, but if you want them hocked up properly so every function and every dash indicator lights up properly, good luck hunting down all the missing wires and modules.

if OP were to use completely stand-alone wiring just for them to fold in and out, than not bad... and again, folding mirrors are available in Canada, no need to order from half way around the planet.
Do you happen to have the part number for a 2017 IS?
Old 09-15-17, 09:59 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
I'm curious as to why it would be any harder?

Right now, I have heated mirrors on the IS. Let's say I do end up with a set of power folding ones. I can retain my heated mirror function, but isn't there 2 pins on the mirrors for the folding feature or that's not the case?

I'm asking, because I did this on my old RSX-S and I retained my heated function, on my sister's Integra it was a joke to do. What's so special about the mirrors on the IS? Why is the car's computer involved if I plan on running the power to it off the accessory line (Like in the RSX-S and Integra) just like how they would if someone installed a sound system.

I'm not bashing you in any way, I'm just asking, why is it different?

That's why i mentioned its not like doing a old Honda or Acura. I've done plenty of those in my past days as well.
You like dealing with CAN-H and CAN-L wires or even know how to deal with those? These wires already exist in the vehicle. instead you have to figure out which modules are needed for the whole thing to work. This is what you have to go up against if trying to add it to our newer Lexus vehicles. You have to replace/add all those control modules that can "speak" the proper CAN-H and CAN-L signals and chance of possibly having to program these modules to the car so it works.. Newer cars are all computer controlled, everything speaks to each other on a BUS and not standard 12v or GND signal to trigger stuff.

For my Day Job, I build bench setups of stereos from all types of newer vehicles from all makes that requiring modules from all over the vehicle mounted and wired together for them to work.
If you would like I can share with you wiring diagram of adding OEM mirror tilt and you will see how intense it looks with of all the modules involved in the circuit. I was going to attempt it but after reviewing it all, I designed it was not worth the trouble.

This is not a simple Sound system install. I can do that with my eyes closed.
I am not trying to scare you off from doing it. More power if you attempt it, in fact i'd give a helping hand in consulting and decipher wiring schematics and suggestions. I'll lend you my years of experience.
Old 09-15-17, 10:58 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fivesevenn
nope, never did the IS series have folding mirrors. (NorthAmerica)
Mine fold - 2016 IS350, luxury package, but they aren't powered.

Last edited by Olasek; 09-15-17 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto-Folding Mirrors