IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

another ventilated (eh, heated) seat thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 02:32 AM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default another ventilated (eh, heated) seat thread

There have been several threads on the topic of the seat back area getting warm when turning on our IS's ventilated seats during hot weather. So... can you please reply if your seat backs do NOT get noticeable warmer after turning on ventilation (after the car has been out in the heat/sun for some time). (BTW... it's obvious when they do get warm). If yours don't get warm/hot, what year & model is your IS?
Old 08-08-17, 07:14 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,556 Likes on 1,825 Posts

I really don't think it was necessary to start a new thread.

FWIW, it seems basically any 3IS so far has had this problem, regardless of which model year.
Old 08-08-17, 12:15 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't fully understand what the problem actually is. Are you saying that it after sitting in the sun, your ventilated seats get hotter before it actually starts to cool? Or does it progressively get hotter and not actually cool at all?

mine get a little hot at first then start to cool as the interior temp goes down. But knowing that it's nothing more than a fan getting air from the cabin, I expected no less.
Old 08-08-17, 01:33 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Jay89
I don't fully understand what the problem actually is. Are you saying that it after sitting in the sun, your ventilated seats get hotter before it actually starts to cool? Or does it progressively get hotter and not actually cool at all?

mine get a little hot at first then start to cool as the interior temp goes down. But knowing that it's nothing more than a fan getting air from the cabin, I expected no less.
You're... partially right. It's mainly the mid to upper portion of the seat back that warms up. The seat bottom has no issues as far as I have experienced.
Old 08-08-17, 05:51 PM
tff
Pit Crew

mine get a little hot at first then start to cool as the interior temp goes down.
How long does it take to start to cool in your case? My issue is that the seat back stays hot (hotter than what it started out as) for at least minutes... long enough that it's uncomfortable and so I just shut them off. If you don't sense a problem I'm guessing you don't have it.
Old 08-08-17, 07:34 PM
IreneIS350
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tff
How long does it take to start to cool in your case? My issue is that the seat back stays hot (hotter than what it started out as) for at least minutes... long enough that it's uncomfortable and so I just shut them off. If you don't sense a problem I'm guessing you don't have it.
I have been experiencing this for the last week...but it is summer in Florida, so I haven't given it much thought.

What is the problem?
Old 08-08-17, 07:59 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tff
They are hot for a couple of minutes, you're right though that it is uncomfortable. I usually open the windows and sunroof as soon as I start the car which helps it cool down.
Old 08-08-17, 11:17 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tff
If yours don't get warm/hot, what year & model is your IS?
Whether the issue is real or imaginary is an open question, but assuming it is a real problem for some I don't have this problem, I have 2016 IS350, luxury package. I live in Northern California but took this car into hot southern California desert and winter skiing too.

Last edited by Olasek; 08-08-17 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 05:38 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Olasek
Whether the issue is real or imaginary is an open question
Not really. If you look at the original post of this thread, you can see there is real evidence of some kind of anomaly with the seat ventilation. It may not affect everyone due to climate conditions, where you park, etc., but it's certainly not imaginary.

At first I didn't think it was an issue either, but then the temperatures crept up into the 90's. It seemed like my imagination at first, but it's always the middle portion of the seat back that would get hot, while the bottom would not.
Old 08-09-17, 06:21 AM
tff
Pit Crew

They are hot for a couple of minutes, you're right though that it is uncomfortable. I usually open the windows and sunroof as soon as I start the car which helps it cool down.
With all due respect, living in South Carolina... opening the windows and/or the sunroof doesn't do much to cool down the car in the summer. :-) Is this seat issue the biggest issue in the world...no, but it's frustrating and shouldn't be mysterious to Lexus (even though it seems like it is). And just to respond to someone else's comment... this is definitely not imagined nor subtle. Again - if no one is sitting in the seat, turn on the ventilation, put your hand on the seat back... you'd swear that the winter seat heaters were on (high) on the seat backs.
Old 08-09-17, 01:04 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
If you look at the original post of this thread, you can see there is real evidence of some kind of anomaly with the seat ventilation..
OK, I get it. If so perhaps you should make a poll to see how many owners are experiencing it. For example I tested my car in all weathers except hot-humid south-east type of a climate. And my seats have creamy color, may have something to do with it too. But I was trying to counter the notion that every IS owner must have this problem.