Cooled Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 02:58 PM
thedead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooled Seats

Hi All,

Anyone have any information on the cooled seats? Are they a fan only? Do they have a peltier device? (thermo electric) How well do they work?

I'm in Austin, TX and it gets SUPER hot, even with tinted windows and a sun shade
Old 07-19-17, 03:08 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Just a built in fan, my friend.
The following users liked this post:
wycy (05-19-18)
Old 07-19-17, 03:30 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

They are called ventilated. Lexus never used he term cooled
wycy (05-19-18)
Old 07-19-17, 10:22 PM
dblambo85
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thedead
Hi All,

Anyone have any information on the cooled seats? Are they a fan only? Do they have a peltier device? (thermo electric) How well do they work?

I'm in Austin, TX and it gets SUPER hot, even with tinted windows and a sun shade
Im in dfw and I had to have ventilated seats.. IMO they work pretty good. My parents bought a new highlander and we both agree my seats cool better even though they are prob same parts
Old 07-20-17, 08:44 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The fans draw air from beneath the seats, so if you want to feel colder air going through the holes, direct the air flow to the lower/feet area.
Old 07-20-17, 08:48 AM
dblambo85
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The fans draw air from beneath the seats, so if you want to feel colder air going through the holes, direct the air flow to the lower/feet area.
Yeah I figured that would help, but the notice we are seeing is the amount of air flow
Old 07-20-17, 08:49 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
and if you have the a/c on then the seats will be quasi-cooled rather than just ventilated.
Old 07-20-17, 10:57 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I feel that the ventilated seats on the IS is very weak, even with the AC running, and I wish I knew this sooner. I live in Canada, and I don't find them strong. The new RX350 is strong, but the ones in the IS and RC are quite weak unfortunately.
ttsport15 (08-07-17)
Old 07-20-17, 05:25 PM
hexcei
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
and if you have the a/c on then the seats will be quasi-cooled rather than just ventilated.
With this, since eco mode seems to diminish the performance of the a/c in general it also effects how much cooling 'effect' you feel out of the seats. If it is 90+F out and you start out and drive around in eco mode, the ventilated seats are not that noticeable for a long period of time. '15 awd350fsport and its one of about 5 things I wish were better with this car.
Old 07-22-17, 07:50 PM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

My ventilated seats (2014) provide a bit of 'cooling' when it's actually cool. But when getting into the car on a warm day (doesn't have to be a hot day) the seat backs actually get noticeably warmer, exactly when you'd like to have ventilated seats. I know that others have experienced this. My dealer 'could not duplicate'.
Old 07-23-17, 06:45 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by thedead
Hi All,

I have it on my 2016 IS and it works like crap....Sometime i don't even notice they are on even when it's maxed out.
Old 07-24-17, 07:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,508 Likes on 1,806 Posts

The ventilated seats work best if you give the car 2-3 minutes to cool down. The seats get warm if you use the ventilation right away.
Old 07-24-17, 04:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

My 16 200t ventilated seats work great! i could never go back.
Old 08-06-17, 10:10 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone looked into making a A/C duct. One that would catch the back seat air vents. And direct it under the drivers seat? Also does everyone have a loud ventilated seat fan? With the radio and ac off. Mine has a nice fan sound.
Old 08-07-17, 08:46 PM
350eyeS
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There are separete 2 fans.
One is below the seat drawing in cooler air near the ac floor vent and blows up between your legs.
The other is in the seat back about 4 inches from the top. It draws in air from inside the seat back. If the seat back itself is hot due to sitting in the sun, then the fan blows this very hot air on your back which is why it is hotter. The seat back pulls in air from both the area aournd the top of the seat back (around the headrest) and below the seat. The air around the seat top is hot on a hot day. The air from below the seat starts out cooler but then is heated up as it passes inisde the hot seat back to reach the top fan. Only when the inside of the seat back cools off does the air start to feel the same or cooler. Otherwise it's hotter as everyone complains about, but it's normal.
I'm trying to run a hose from the lower AC vent directly up the seat back to the top fan intake. I used cardboard tubes and tape as an experiment and it seems to feel cooler sooner. Will replace with a better flex tube later.

Quick Reply: Cooled Seats