IS250 at speeds 65+ unstable

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17, 01:28 AM
roneezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 at speeds 65+ unstable

Hello,

So I recently bought a 2014 IS250 with 7k miles and really love the car.
Major upgrade from my FRS.

One thing though, at speeds above 65+ it just doesnt seem planted and it goes both left/right. It's very unstable and not enjoyable at all on the freeway.

I read that this is due to the low profile tires, would anyone be able to confirm this for those who have new tires/wheels setup over stock?

Someone also mentioned lowering psi to 32(cold) could help. I just want to gather some information first from helpful people before going out to buy new wheels/suspension/etc.

Last edited by roneezy; 05-02-17 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-02-17, 04:44 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Your car is too new but mine 350 fell the same until I replace all four brand new tires and did 2 times alignment and then reset the Ecu drove for 2k miles , now my car back to brand new feel , it drives straight like my sword .
The following users liked this post:
roneezy (05-02-17)
Old 05-02-17, 07:41 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This is abnormal and should not, under normal circumstances, be caused by tires.

My car has no stability issues all the way up to 100 mph plus.

The floatiness you are describing, unless caused by strong side winds, may possibly indicate a loose suspension component or two.

Was your car ever in an accident or hit a curb?

I would bring the car into a Lexus dealer to remedy this problem under warranty.

Once the tires are inflated properly they should not be the cause of this. Don't allow them to blame the tires, especially the OEM ones.
Old 05-02-17, 07:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I never experienced that with my IS.
Old 05-02-17, 11:03 AM
AWilson013
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Our IS300 (though AWD... not sure if yours is?) feels incredibly planted at speeds well over 65mph...

Is your freeway all rutted out? My E36 M3 felt the same way on certain stretches of freeway. It was wide enough that it was JUST too wide to sit in the ruts of semis and would hop in and out of the ruts. Over 65 it was pretty discomforting.
Old 05-02-17, 11:36 AM
roneezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AWilson013
Our IS300 (though AWD... not sure if yours is?) feels incredibly planted at speeds well over 65mph...

Is your freeway all rutted out? My E36 M3 felt the same way on certain stretches of freeway. It was wide enough that it was JUST too wide to sit in the ruts of semis and would hop in and out of the ruts. Over 65 it was pretty discomforting.
I mean yes here in San Diego the freeway is ****ty but on my drive home for an hour there was a long flat nice road and we were all speeding around 80 and man the car was really unstable.

Originally Posted by Machine13
This is abnormal and should not, under normal circumstances, be caused by tires.

My car has no stability issues all the way up to 100 mph plus.

The floatiness you are describing, unless caused by strong side winds, may possibly indicate a loose suspension component or two.

Was your car ever in an accident or hit a curb?

I would bring the car into a Lexus dealer to remedy this problem under warranty.

Once the tires are inflated properly they should not be the cause of this. Don't allow them to blame the tires, especially the OEM ones.

No never in an accident, as for if it hit a curb I do not know. Carfax is clean and yes I know a lot of stuff could still happen and not be reported to carfax but Lexus said alignment checked out fine..

Last edited by roneezy; 05-02-17 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-02-17, 11:47 AM
roneezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Solara350
Your car is too new but mine 350 fell the same until I replace all four brand new tires and did 2 times alignment and then reset the Ecu drove for 2k miles , now my car back to brand new feel , it drives straight like my sword .

Resetting ECU really helps with the steering? I'll go ahead and try that first then.

Hopefully this helps..
Old 05-02-17, 01:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by roneezy
I mean yes here in San Diego the freeway is ****ty but on my drive home for an hour there was a long flat nice road and we were all speeding around 80 and man the car was really unstable.No never in an accident, as for if it hit a curb I do not know. Carfax is clean and yes I know a lot of stuff could still happen and not be reported to carfax but Lexus said alignment checked out fine..
It's your suspension or tires. I live in SD and regularly drive 90 mph and the car feels super planted at those speeds. I've taken the car to 120mph and it feels like 80 mph because it's so stable.
roneezy (05-05-17)
Old 05-02-17, 02:45 PM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Took my IS to Pala from OC a few times on I5/SR76 and the car was very stable at any speed (well not over a 100 yet).
Probably unbalance tires.
Old 05-02-17, 02:56 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Resetting ECU really helps with the steering? I'll go ahead and try that first then.

Hopefully this helps..
1, Yes since its all electrical in this Lexus, reset ecu also help the car to learn your driving habit and behavior.
2, Your car is only 7k miles on the clock and it's 2014 ? correct ? the reason why you fell the car is unstable at high speed because when the car sat in the dealership for a LONG TIME or not driving for a long time, the tires gets FLAT SPOT wear, no worry about your car suspension or part worn, i guaranty if those worn in 7k miles on the clock, another reason for FLAT SPOT TIRES WEAR is WORN or BLOWN STRUT but this is for old old car, your car still new.

suggestions !
1, unplug your battery for 15 minutes
2, go to a tires shop and have them Balance your tire and check if the tires are good, sometimes even brand new tires, we still get Radial belt messed up "defect" tires, compound that makes the tires only last around 5-6 years, also check for the DATE of TIRES MADE (The date of manufacture is the last four digits of the DOT code. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003)
3, don't do alignment yet, drive it for 2-3k miles test drive it and see anything change and then do an alignment, you gonna do alignment anyways no matter if it pulls or not, if the problem persist now change all 4 tires, at this point im sure your car will be back to normal

4, even though i know a lot about suspension and tires but i still collect all info, for my car because i knew it whenever you buy a used car they put ****ty tires on the car so i just replaced all 4 tires and did alignment twice before and after. For sporty Lexus IS, tires brands are "Yokohama and Continental" i don't like Michellin they tend to get hard after 3-4 years. even though it's treat lasts longer than others.
roneezy (05-05-17)
Old 05-04-17, 12:45 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I read that this is due to the low profile tires, would anyone be able to confirm this for those who have new tires/wheels setup over stock?
Have 2016 IS350, originally had stock (summer) tires on the car but replaced them with all-season tires because I was heading into winter environment. Never had any stability issues with either set of tires. Never did alignment.
Old 05-05-17, 11:02 AM
roneezy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Solara350
1, Yes since its all electrical in this Lexus, reset ecu also help the car to learn your driving habit and behavior.
2, Your car is only 7k miles on the clock and it's 2014 ? correct ? the reason why you fell the car is unstable at high speed because when the car sat in the dealership for a LONG TIME or not driving for a long time, the tires gets FLAT SPOT wear, no worry about your car suspension or part worn, i guaranty if those worn in 7k miles on the clock, another reason for FLAT SPOT TIRES WEAR is WORN or BLOWN STRUT but this is for old old car, your car still new.

suggestions !
1, unplug your battery for 15 minutes
2, go to a tires shop and have them Balance your tire and check if the tires are good, sometimes even brand new tires, we still get Radial belt messed up "defect" tires, compound that makes the tires only last around 5-6 years, also check for the DATE of TIRES MADE (The date of manufacture is the last four digits of the DOT code. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003)
3, don't do alignment yet, drive it for 2-3k miles test drive it and see anything change and then do an alignment, you gonna do alignment anyways no matter if it pulls or not, if the problem persist now change all 4 tires, at this point im sure your car will be back to normal

4, even though i know a lot about suspension and tires but i still collect all info, for my car because i knew it whenever you buy a used car they put ****ty tires on the car so i just replaced all 4 tires and did alignment twice before and after. For sporty Lexus IS, tires brands are "Yokohama and Continental" i don't like Michellin they tend to get hard after 3-4 years. even though it's treat lasts longer than others.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll unplug the battery sometime this weekend.
I'll go ahead and get it checked out for any balance issues too. I looked at it and the tires seem fine... But I know I won't know for sure until I actually get it checked out.

Btw this sounds really weird.... But I put my driver side tires at 33.5psi(cold) and my passenger tires at 32(cold) and now the car is a lot more stable now at higher speeds. This sure is bad isn't it? Lol
Old 05-05-17, 01:20 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Thanks for the heads up! I'll unplug the battery sometime this weekend.
I'll go ahead and get it checked out for any balance issues too. I looked at it and the tires seem fine... But I know I won't know for sure until I actually get it checked out.

Btw this sounds really weird.... But I put my driver side tires at 33.5psi(cold) and my passenger tires at 32(cold) and now the car is a lot more stable now at higher speeds. This sure is bad isn't it? Lol
put 36 PSI all around COLD, it should pump up to 42 when Hot, i think i found your culprit, your car wandered at highway might caused by low PSI too, try put 36 or 37 PSI all around and see.

Go balance and tell the guy put 36 PSI, reset ecu is not to fix the problem only to help the car learn your driving habits, if balance don't fix, we go Alignment, we fix from the cheapest 1st. Do me a favor, go pump your wheel to 36 PSI all around 1st and see.

Last edited by Solara350; 05-05-17 at 01:51 PM.
roneezy (05-05-17)
Old 05-05-17, 01:45 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by kitabel
the tires gets FLAT SPOT wear
another reason for FLAT SPOT TIRES WEAR is WORN or BLOWN STRUT

Sorry, where did you learn this?
Main reason is when your wheel lockup and skids, if you drive a blown strut when braking hard it does that and when you launch fast, flat spot when parked for a long time it can be fixed without changing new tires, there are many factors. Blown Strut causes SCUFF wear and similar to flat spot, at high speed both symptoms makes the car shimmy or unstable as the Thread owner described, any other question my New York Neighborhood ?
Old 05-05-17, 03:15 PM
IS250Alvin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time I have ever encountered this problem was due to my tread of my tires being low and ive have my IS for 23k miles.

Quick Reply: IS250 at speeds 65+ unstable