IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Reverse camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 03:15 PM
stbiss
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I finally got around to installing my oem backup camera on my '14 IS this weekend- not too difficult install except the cut through the body - more time consuming and difficult than I thought it would be - it took some patience to get it right. I also had to loosen one of the tail lights to get the final trim piece on without causing any damage.

i am glad it's done and it works. If anyone is looking to do this, let me know and I can provide some tips to make it go easier.

Now I can back up with more confidence!
The following users liked this post:
dilmatik (08-16-17)
Old 08-16-17, 10:00 AM
dilmatik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stbiss

I finally got around to installing my oem backup camera on my '14 IS this weekend- not too difficult install except the cut through the body - more time consuming and difficult than I thought it would be - it took some patience to get it right. I also had to loosen one of the tail lights to get the final trim piece on without causing any damage.

i am glad it's done and it works. If anyone is looking to do this, let me know and I can provide some tips to make it go easier.

Now I can back up with more confidence!
Can you please post some tips on doing this? Where are you located and where did you find the cameral and trunk trim piece?
Old 08-16-17, 10:04 AM
dilmatik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexie1
Did you say trim and glue into place......don't bother would be so cheesy.
just have to make a template like we did and cut, then it screws in the the lic plate Assy's on each side.

if you don't want to cut the trunk lid, do what the other guy said aftermarket.

$600.00 for the camera is ridiculous I called north west Lexus and it was 445.00

keep looking, I found one with in a day
Lexie1: Where did you end up getting the parts for camera from??
Old 08-16-17, 10:23 AM
stbiss
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I am located in North Carolina, but used mylparts.com for all of the required parts - see my previous post with part numbers that are required - camera, trim, and wire harness.

As for tips, here are a few -
  • Commit yourself up front that disassembling and cutting into your Lexus is not a fun thing to do. I asked myself a few times during the process on why I subjected myself to this.
  • To remove and reinstall the trim piece over the license plate lights and camera area, it is much easier to loose one or both tail light assemblies. Otherwise, you have to bend the trim piece into a pretty tight area which risks cracking it. My old piece came out ok, but has to loosen one tail light to reinstall without risking damage to the trim piece.
  • Cutting the pass thru hole is the pain - I made a template out of cardboard to simulate the size hole needed. I then took that template and lined up the mounting holes from the camera to the holes to the trunk inner body and then marked the "square" that had to be cut out to allow the camera to pass through. This worked pretty well - otherwise you are eyeballing and you might end up making hole too small, large, or not lined up with the mounting holes.
  • Cutting the hole is not easy since you have limited space - if you could get a saw or cutting wheel in there it would have been simple. After numerous attempts, I ended up drilling a series of holes inside the required hole space and used snips and a duel tool to remove and clean up the edges. If I had to do it again, I think I would try one of those multi-bits. My method left a gnarly hole that I had to spend some time to clean up before passing the camera through - glad it was not visible.
  • I would not even consider making the required pass through hole on the outer trim - too easy to tear up - it was well worth the $60 for the trim with the hole already there and painted to my car color.
I am sure you can get the camera done aftermarket for cheaper, but I wanted OEM parts and guaranteed plug and play.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 08-22-17, 09:24 PM
dilmatik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
Did a quick test, it worked...
Drilled holes, currently waiting for primer to dry.

Don't mind the plush toys... (Girlfriend's addition) ha.
tips:
- Remove trim piece (a little hard to do..) and drill hole first
- Mark hole on trunk (it does not have to line up perfectly as - - it's only a wire pass through)
- Bought the camera from Amazon from "Car Rover"
- Took apart camera and put silicone around edges and screw holes for more weather proofing.
- I can post wiring diagram if anyone wants it.

CAN you please post the wiring diagram as I will be going with an aftermarket camera as well?
Old 08-23-17, 06:56 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dilmatik
CAN you please post the wiring diagram as I will be going with an aftermarket camera as well?
Here you go!
Old 08-27-17, 05:21 AM
williex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where would i look to see if my is already have the harness.
Old 09-05-17, 05:14 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by williex
where would i look to see if my is already have the harness.
Open your trunk, take out all the clips that hold the liner on.
Take the liner off.
Look for a random connector not connected to anything.

If there isn't a connector just taped to the bundle, then you do not have it.

I also ended up picking up an OEM camera, it ended up costing a lot... still need to get the trim with the hole in it.
I just cut the hole myself, looks bad but nobody will be under there to see.
Old 12-02-23, 10:10 AM
strenoob11
1st Gear

Installed an aliexpress camera according to this tutorial. Im happy that there was cable and i got picture but for some reason i got pixels flickering on rights side. May it be that the camera is rubbish? Im almost certain that my connections are okay.