IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Reverse camera

Old 03-23-17, 05:25 AM
stbiss
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So really interested in this thread, but not so much in cutting the hole in the outer trim panel - understand no way around the inner cut. I searched around and found that OEM panel with cut already made - about $65 from mylparts.com . If you had this already cut out, then it would be much easier to mark the inner cut.

https://www.mylparts.com/auto-parts/...rim-trunk-scat
Old 03-23-17, 09:00 AM
Lexie1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree just buy a new trim piece for a car that comes with camera, can also ordered it painted. Same part one just has pre cut out.
Old 03-23-17, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexie1
My car does not have Nav
Thanks.

With finish moulding with the backup camera, it mounts inside and no drilling of sheet metal? I'm going to start hunting around for a used camera.
Old 03-24-17, 07:33 AM
Lexie1
Driver School Candidate

Still have to cut sheet metal
Old 04-05-17, 04:44 PM
Intermediate

Ok, so I have been looking at cars online for a friend and noticing the CDM 14-15 Premium models have no nav but a backup camera. My '14 IS350 F Sport S1 doesn't have either. I'm going to look for a connector and keep my fingers crossed there is one but not expecting one based on what brendanf has posted about his '15.

Lexie1, basically all you need is the trim panel and the OEM camera correct?
Old 04-05-17, 04:48 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
Ok, so I have been looking at cars online for a friend and noticing the CDM 14-15 Premium models have no nav but a backup camera. My '14 IS350 F Sport S1 doesn't have either. I'm going to look for a connector and keep my fingers crossed there is one but not expecting one based on what brendanf has posted about his '15.

Lexie1, basically all you need is the trim panel and the OEM camera correct?
You should have the connector...you can get a new trim panel or cut the existing one...and you'll need the camera...and you'll need to cut the trunk lid where the camera sits.
Old 04-05-17, 04:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
You should have the connector...you can get a new trim panel or cut the existing one...and you'll need the camera...and you'll need to cut the trunk lid where the camera sits.
I think brendanf posted his '15 did not have a connector, Lexie1 does on a '16. I'm thinking if the '15 doesn't have it, a '14 wouldn't. It would be weird to make a running change to have it, take it off and then put it back in. Regardless, I'm am stoked I can add a camera to it, after backing out from a spot SLOWLY (there was an SUV next to me) at the distillery last week and almost hitting a possibly drunk/high on crack or fentanyl dude on an e-bike zooming through a parking lot. I am wondering if having a backup camera could have avoided it.

I'm gonna check tonight, let me find my pry tools....
Old 04-05-17, 05:15 PM
Lexie1
Driver School Candidate

If you have the plug I posted a pic of, you need OEM camera and someone will need to cut trunk lid and trim.
we just did this last weekend, he cut trim and looks good. Camera was plug and play.
but mine is a 2016 IS200T F sport

good luck
Old 04-05-17, 05:22 PM
Lexie1
Driver School Candidate

Finished product
Old 04-06-17, 04:15 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
I think brendanf posted his '15 did not have a connector, Lexie1 does on a '16. I'm thinking if the '15 doesn't have it, a '14 wouldn't. It would be weird to make a running change to have it, take it off and then put it back in. Regardless, I'm am stoked I can add a camera to it, after backing out from a spot SLOWLY (there was an SUV next to me) at the distillery last week and almost hitting a possibly drunk/high on crack or fentanyl dude on an e-bike zooming through a parking lot. I am wondering if having a backup camera could have avoided it.

I'm gonna check tonight, let me find my pry tools....
Just remember, even if you don't have the connector you can still add a backup camera that will work like a factory one. That is what I did. It wasn't hard and was still cheaper then buying a used factory one. It is just a bit more work to install.
Old 04-06-17, 08:02 AM
Lexie1
Driver School Candidate

I think the only reason the 16 had the connection on the harness is the US version car came with camera and the 17 comes with camera, they normally don't make two different harnesses, to much cost
Old 04-06-17, 07:46 PM
Intermediate

I found a connector in my trunk =).

But the oem camera is $600+ USD new. I'm going to look for one off a wrecked car. Lexie, did you use a 14+ specific camera? Does anyone know if the camera off a 2IS has the same connector and is pretty much the same expect for the plastic mount? I was thinking of getting a new trim piece, trimming the camera mount flange and epoxying/gluing it into place. I see 3IS camera online that on a plate that replaces one of the licence plate lights, but it's not as clean looking and will require splicing. brendanf, what camera did you end up using?
Old 04-06-17, 07:54 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Almost there 387.
I would not recommend cutting anything or mounting it in a different location. The alignment angle of the camera will be off thus rendering it useless for parking.
Go with the used camera from a wrecked vehicle.
They should all be the same camera...but if you ask a dealer what the part number is for your vehicle, they can also tell you what year range it fits...then you will know what crashed vehicle to look for.
Old 04-06-17, 07:59 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
Just remember, even if you don't have the connector you can still add a backup camera that will work like a factory one. That is what I did. It wasn't hard and was still cheaper then buying a used factory one. It is just a bit more work to install.
What's your set up like? trying to figure best options for aftermarket back up camera.
Old 04-07-17, 01:54 AM
Lexie1
Driver School Candidate

Lucky to have the connector.

the wreckers part look up system cross references the one that can be used for multiple vehicle, mine was from a 350, cause I searched a 2106 200 and a 2016 300 and got the same camera at the same wreckers . There are a few out there, I paid 165.00, from the dealer is 445.00 CAD.
i had no trouble looking up parts online for the camera and the trunk trim as well and they were the same part numbers when I called the dealer. The wreckers had actually bought that camera to have as a sell part. It took some work and patience but I would much rather have it this way, looks factory and works great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse camera