IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F-sport: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 03:39 PM
glostix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-sport: worth it?

I think the standard IS looks fine, maybe even better than the F-sport.
But I care about performance, and it isn't any faster, doesn't have lower drag (so the improved body kit has no benefit), doesn't have better grip.
It just has higher cost, higher maintenance/operating expenses (staggered tires can't be rotated), etc.

So it's >$3,000 for a (adjustable) stiffer suspension and different wheels, both of which enthusiasts would have likely switched out anyway.

For those who own the F-sport or tried both, I want to hear your thoughts.
Old 03-14-17, 03:44 PM
Nicoooo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, it boils down to looks. A lot of people prefer the looks the F-Sport rather than the non-F-Sport. Feature wise, the non-F actually has more (memory seats, power-adjustable steering rack, etc.) and all it's really missing is the F-Sport seats (so damn comfortable, you feel like you're sitting in a glove).
Old 03-14-17, 03:55 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

What a lot of people do is buy the IS base or with luxury package and swap to front bumper to the fsport. This way you save cost or get some luxury features and still get the fsport look.

Performance wise, the fsport gets AVS (is350) & tuned a bit sportier. Other than that, fsport gives.... the LFA gauge, bucket seats, black head liner, fsport rims, fsport steering wheel and sport+ (is350). IMO its worth the 3k.
The following users liked this post:
NYIS300awdFS (03-20-24)
Old 03-14-17, 04:03 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

For me it was mostly about appearance. I, personally, like the exterior better than the non-F Sport.
LED headlights are standard, also available in certain pkgs of non F.
Staggered tire expense doesn't bother me, as I had them on my last car.
Mine also comes with VGRS, which includes power tilt/telescoping steering column.
But, I really like the digital speedometer, I love the black headliner and the seats....(super comfortable for me).
Worth it to me.
Old 03-14-17, 04:44 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

i went with Base model because i personally didn't feel like the differences were significant. I opted for the base 17" wheels (instead of the optional 18") because i knew i was going to get aftermarket wheels. Not getting AVS didn't matter to me because i planned to get aftermarket suspension.

The only regrets I have are the LFA cluster looks cool and the Red interior looks really good as well. I like the Base front bumper better but i have slight regrets there as well since there is little to no aftermarket support for the base front bumper. But those are all small gripes and as everyone said, just depends on what you want.

Last edited by CLUM; 03-14-17 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-14-17, 05:50 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Go with the F Sport if you're an enthusiast.

Buy an IS300 and tune it. You'll save yourself $4K - $5K
NYIS300awdFS (03-20-24)
Old 03-14-17, 06:00 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

I had a regular is with the luxury package (real leather, memory seats, power tilt steering wheel). I got into an F sport and honestly miss my non F sport. I find it to be more comfortable, that's just me.
Old 03-14-17, 06:39 PM
DoWerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting discussion, I bought the F sport simply for the looks as if I want to have fun I have an e90 M3 for that, the f sport wont get your adrenaline going while on a drive, but it sure is comfortable and my god the body lines are beautiful. Every time I open the garage it is a pleasure to look at; and that alone is worth the few extra thousand over a base model, not to mention the resale value is better than the non f sport models so if you plan to resell you wont be losing out on that money. Lack of memory seats is the only thing I am upset it doesn't have comparatively speaking to the non f sport, especially if you share it with the wife.
Old 03-14-17, 06:42 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with the F Sport for sure. It has very distinct features not in the other models: the LFA Gauge, F Sport wheels, sports seats, front grill. These are the things that make it stand out and give it sporty character, otherwise it's pretty much like having any other domestic Jap. Just driving around town, I always see the elderly folks in the non-F version for some reason. The ultimate for me was the ultra white only available in F sport. It makes it one of a kind, German or otherwise can't match.
Old 03-14-17, 08:43 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The LFA gauges alone makes it worth it! If you like the looks of the non-fsport, why not?! If I wanted a luxury car, I'll get the ES or GS.
Udoka007 (03-21-24)
Old 03-14-17, 08:52 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
The LFA gauges alone makes it worth it! If you like the looks of the non-fsport, why not?! If I wanted a luxury car, I'll get the ES or GS.
^+1
If you want pure luxury there are other great options in the Lexus line.

Maybe down the road I'll get a ES300H. Well-crafted, luxurious, and that gas mileage tho. (700 range full tank!)
Old 03-14-17, 11:32 PM
tuanyes84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally like the looks of the non f-sport so thats why I went with mine. I also didn't care for the dark headliner as (to me) it makes the interior feel too closed in and claustrophobic. I do wish I had the f-sport gauges though.
Old 03-14-17, 11:39 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
This is my second IS 350 F sport. It is funny what people enjoy or don't. I set the dash the way I wanted it 3 years ago when I brought the car home and it hasn't been touched since. I would trade it in a minute for memory seats but I am not willing to give up the other F sport features to get them.
Old 03-15-17, 06:37 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just ask yourself if you have that extra $3k. If you like the fsport grill like i do (it costs $400-$1000 to convert. I was lucky and found a bumper color matched in great condition near me for $300.)

If you plan on modding and get aftermarket suspension and wheels, use that other $2k you saved from getting the nonfsport towards that.
Old 03-15-17, 07:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by glostix
I think the standard IS looks fine, maybe even better than the F-sport.
But I care about performance, and it isn't any faster, doesn't have lower drag (so the improved body kit has no benefit), doesn't have better grip.
It just has higher cost, higher maintenance/operating expenses (staggered tires can't be rotated), etc.

So it's >$3,000 for a (adjustable) stiffer suspension and different wheels, both of which enthusiasts would have likely switched out anyway.

For those who own the F-sport or tried both, I want to hear your thoughts.
All IS350s, regardless of F Sport or non, have staggered wheels. Not sure about the 300s.

Originally Posted by tuanyes84
I personally like the looks of the non f-sport so thats why I went with mine. I also didn't care for the dark headliner as (to me) it makes the interior feel too closed in and claustrophobic. I do wish I had the f-sport gauges though.
I don't have mine anymore, but mine was also a non-F Sport. Like you I liked the exterior looks better and disliked the black headliner, but it was the missing features on the F Sport that really killed it for me.

Quick Reply: F-sport: worth it?