IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Fuel injectors dead - 350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 04:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

didnt lexus switch to hybrid port/direct injection (like the 200t engine) on this engine to prevent carbon buildup? or has it always been hybrid?
Old 06-02-17, 06:38 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ejn184
pardon my english, got the same problem. right now the car on open road lexus richmond bc. waiting for them to call to give the result. they gave a rental car. i hope only the injector failed , not other things. still on warranty . mine 2016 is350 fsport awd. i think around vancouver bc canada, lots a bad dirty gas pump station.
It depends on how long you've been driving with the bad injector. The first time, mine dumped too much fuel and killed the cat. The same side cat died 7 days after they replaced the injectors. Ask the dealer to also inspect the cat on the side with the failed injector! It'll save you a trip back to the dealer.
Old 06-05-17, 08:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
didnt lexus switch to hybrid port/direct injection (like the 200t engine) on this engine to prevent carbon buildup? or has it always been hybrid?
Yes, the 3.5 2GR-FSE has had the port and direct injection system since the 2006 model year.
Old 06-12-17, 12:36 PM
cFoo
Driver

Got another call today. Apparently the engineers looked at the failures and concluded it's a bad batch of fuel and they are saying I'm probably using no name brands gas like Costco. I immediately challenged the claim and asked why would the same set of 3 brand new set of fuel injectors on the same bank all failed in a period of 6 months and not random or the other side? No answer. Heck there is no Costco gas in the lower mainland. I have credit card printout to show the gas purchases from Shell, every Sunday! I also told them I gas at the same Shell using 91 for my other 2 cars, Acura RDX (turbo), and Acura MDX. Surely the turbo engine is way more sensitive to bad fuels than this rock solid 3.5 2GR-FSE. I also had a S2000 at one point using the same gas, not a single problem in the 6 years I had it.

The reason they gave for thinking it is bad fuel is because they have not seen a widespread failure across the country. Which I understand is an easy way to conclude it's bad fuel, but this is clearly a one of with something else frying the fuel injectors. They're going to go back and talk to the engineers again. More waiting.
Old 06-12-17, 12:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

That's garbage. It has to be something else.

If you used it, you could remind them that Costco gas is Top Tier...and I've been using it on my 2GR-FSEs for years without issue. Frankly I'd start considering talk of a buy-back. There's an issue with your car and they can't fix it.
Old 06-12-17, 12:48 PM
cFoo
Driver

I'm trying to be as patient as possible. I'm also going to start requesting email communication so that I have written records. The only legal avenue I have at this point is using http://www.camvap.ca/ as there is no lemon law in Canada.
Old 06-12-17, 12:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by cFoo
I'm trying to be as patient as possible. I'm also going to start requesting email communication so that I have written records. The only legal avenue I have at this point is using http://www.camvap.ca/ as there is no lemon law in Canada.
Definitely fight for the buy back. If you do get a buy back, I'd go with the new S4
Old 06-12-17, 12:56 PM
cFoo
Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Definitely fight for the buy back. If you do get a buy back, I'd go with the new S4
LOL! Would it be absolutely nut to say, I actually would consider another IS 350? Absolutely love the car. Nice mix of performance and pleasing interior.
Old 06-12-17, 01:33 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

As I am sure your aware they feeding you BS.

Id ask them how can bad fuel ruin an injector? If the injectors are burnt out that's electrical. If they are gummed up then yes okay contaminated fuel would do that but it would do it to ALL the injectors.

You can also also have them test your gas if they keep pointing the finger at your gas.

Take a sample of fuel each time you fill up, use something like an empty baby food jar, write the date and time on the jar and save your receipts.

Its far too easy for them just to assume the gas when they have done no testing on it and have no proof of how it could interact with the injectors and damage them.
Old 06-12-17, 01:42 PM
cFoo
Driver

I absolutely know they are feeding me BS. The reasoning is absolutely garbage. Just trying to be polite and go with the process and document it all down. I'm trying to be as reasonable as possible and hope they're going to be fair about it. I absolutely love the car when it works so it's not like I'm dying to get rid of it. However, the clock is ticking. I'm pretty sure it will fail again.
Old 06-14-17, 08:26 PM
ejn184
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the car back after one fuel injectorr fixed and they check on the converter but after a week driving , something wrong when start the engine after 30 min rest , sound like metal clunck noise and little vibrate after for 2 second. Gotta bring to dealer again to check what wrong on it.
Old 06-16-17, 05:04 PM
cFoo
Driver

Originally Posted by ejn184
Got the car back after one fuel injectorr fixed and they check on the converter but after a week driving , something wrong when start the engine after 30 min rest , sound like metal clunck noise and little vibrate after for 2 second. Gotta bring to dealer again to check what wrong on it.
Damn! Keep us posted.

I also got a call back. The CS Manager told me the Engineers said they found excessive sulphur build up in the failed fuel injectors. Again pointing to bad fuel. They offered $400 to keep track of the gas. I asked what will happen next after I gas $400 worth? no answer so I asked for a written explanation and next step after they test the gas in my area. I honestly do not care for the $400, heck I'll do it for free. I really want to know what the next step after they've gathered enough test data. I made it clear that this test is useless if they're not going to inspect the car. The fuel injectors aren't going to fail after $400 worth of gas!
Old 06-17-17, 10:15 AM
ejn184
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the call back from dealer , they say cannot find anything wrong it. What the fck?They also fckin stupid they cannot fix the problem. My guess my other fuel injector gonna failed but they cant detect it. Now it start pissing me off. Im still gonna complain and ask them what is the next step if the car fckn down in the middle of the street? I know they have lexus roadside but still , its a fckin annoying. Im also make a claim to lexus canada about this and they have to investigate and find the solution.

Last edited by ejn184; 06-17-17 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-19-17, 09:51 AM
cFoo
Driver

Here you go. Nothing is wrong with the car, repair was done as a "gesture of goodwill." Here's $400 to keep you safe, just in case you can't afford to buy Top Tier gas brands

Thank you for your recent communication to our Customer Assistance Centre.

We are sorry that you are not completely satisfied with all aspects of your 2014 IS 350 and assure you of our concern. Certainly it is our desire that our guests be satisfied in every reasonable way; however, this is not always possible.

After a complete review of your situation, we have determined that your vehicle, is operating within Lexus's strict quality standards and no manufacturing defects are evident at this time. As a gesture of goodwill, we have covered the costs to replace your injectors on your IS 350 as these were not warrantable repairs.

With regards to what fuel you should be using in your Lexus, we strongly recommends the use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline. For more information on Top Tier Detergent Gasoline and a list of marketers, please go to the official website www.toptiergas.com. Additional information on Fuel information can be found on page 510 of your Lexus owner's manual.

In addition, as we discussed, Lexus Canada will be mailing you out a gas card in the amount of $400.00 to use at one of the reputable stations.
Old 06-19-17, 10:14 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cFoo
Here you go. Nothing is wrong with the car, repair was done as a "gesture of goodwill." Here's $400 to keep you safe, just in case you can't afford to buy Top Tier gas brands
If you have another injector go out, it's on you. I'd get out from underneath that car immediately.

Quick Reply: Fuel injectors dead - 350 AWD