IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Fuel injectors dead - 350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 01:30 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must have the worst luck on the planet. Barely 6 months into it the 3 new fuel injectors died again this weekend. Injectors on cylinders 2, 4, and 6. It died at the exact same spot, just as I was accelerating to merge onto the highway. Except this time I almost got rear-ended by a 18 wheelers because it was coming fast and I stopped accelerating. Roadside assist towed it to the dealer and I got a courtesy car within a hour. Amazing service for sure, but this is totally unacceptable.

The dealer is waiting for the parts and will check the cat again to make sure no further damage. The tech thinks it's because of the fuel I'm putting into the car. Which is weird because I've been using Shell 91 from the same gas station for the last 10+ years for all my cars. More importantly, why didn't it die the first 2 years and only to die now with brand new fuel injectors lasting no more than 6 months.
Old 05-29-17, 03:32 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

I would only suspect the gas if ALL the injectors were bad and that they were gummed up.

Otherwise, if they are fried then it would have to be the electronic driving circuit probably pushing too much voltage to them; which would mean a new ECU.
Old 05-30-17, 11:47 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

man, sounds like your dealership is feeding you all kinds of BS... no loaner and bad gas? When I bought my car, I specifically asked about their loaner situation... they told me they have plenty of loaners and that I will be guarantee one when needed. And if they do run out of loaners, they will rent me a car. It's so unfortunate that the has been giving you so much grief. Lexus is supposed to be the most reliable brand on the planet.

Hope you get things sorted out.
Old 05-30-17, 12:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Look into lemon law. Sounds like your car is a complete lemon and downright dangerous as you got into an accident because of it. I'd tell the dealer that you're gonna hire an attorney if Lexus doesn't take the car back.
Old 05-30-17, 01:00 PM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cFoo
I must have the worst luck on the planet. Barely 6 months into it the 3 new fuel injectors died again this weekend. Injectors on cylinders 2, 4, and 6. It died at the exact same spot, just as I was accelerating to merge onto the highway. Except this time I almost got rear-ended by a 18 wheelers because it was coming fast and I stopped accelerating. Roadside assist towed it to the dealer and I got a courtesy car within a hour. Amazing service for sure, but this is totally unacceptable.

The dealer is waiting for the parts and will check the cat again to make sure no further damage. The tech thinks it's because of the fuel I'm putting into the car. Which is weird because I've been using Shell 91 from the same gas station for the last 10+ years for all my cars. More importantly, why didn't it die the first 2 years and only to die now with brand new fuel injectors lasting no more than 6 months.
Dude don't scare me like that, I use only Shell 91 from VP and Lawrence. Please keep us posted.
Old 05-30-17, 01:31 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Very unfortunate, I only use Shell 91 as well, might change it to Chevron after your issues, I hope they can fix this once for all, please keep us posted.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-31-17, 08:06 PM
cFoo
Driver

Got the car back this morning. The SA and service was amazing but I am not a happy camper right now. They gave no reason as to why the fuel injectors fail other than the standard BS that it could be fuel related and they recommended switching gas. I'll go with the BS and will switch to Chevron to see if these new fuel injectors will last more than 6 months. It would seem pretty awful if Lexus made a car that can't run on Shell 91.

I'm also going to call Lexus Canada directly and get a written explanation on the failures. It's really too bad that we do not have lemon law where I live. But I will file with the TSB as it is a safety issue. I have dash cam file to prove the lost of power while merging onto the highway.

Latest work order attached.
Old 05-31-17, 09:18 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Something's definitely up. No way by chance you'd have fuel injectors fail so many times on one bank. Something is off on that side of the engine, my guess the ECU.
Old 06-01-17, 04:29 PM
cFoo
Driver

Updates are coming in from Lexus Canada and my local dealer. I understand this is a public place but I feel like it is the best place to keep records of progress. Corporate asked me to fill out a form to describe the failure as well as incident etc.. the usual. I've done that. On top of that, my local dealer told me I am not the only one and that they've been replacing a lot of fuel injectors. They are waiting for further instructions from Lexus Canada. They can't do anything else other than wait for further instructions. Very appreciative of the honest information they're providing. I also asked about the fuel and that was their initial thought was but as long the engine is getting the top brand fuel it is fine. He ruled out Shell 91 as a problem.

This is all very interesting because it seems like I'm the only one reporting this issue on the forums.
Old 06-01-17, 05:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Updates are coming in from Lexus Canada and my local dealer. I understand this is a public place but I feel like it is the best place to keep records of progress. Corporate asked me to fill out a form to describe the failure as well as incident etc.. the usual. I've done that. On top of that, my local dealer told me I am not the only one and that they've been replacing a lot of fuel injectors. They are waiting for further instructions from Lexus Canada. They can't do anything else other than wait for further instructions. Very appreciative of the honest information they're providing. I also asked about the fuel and that was their initial thought was but as long the engine is getting the top brand fuel it is fine. He ruled out Shell 91 as a problem.

This is all very interesting because it seems like I'm the only one reporting this issue on the forums.
My service advisor said he's rarely seen anything go wrong with the 3.5L in the IS. Virtually bulletproof. Maybe Canadian gas is bad
Old 06-01-17, 08:55 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are not the only one.
I have the same injector issue on my vehicle before and have 1 of the injector replaced.
The service adviser gave me that "bad fuel" explanation too.
After I asked him isn't there's a fuel filter that will filter out the contamination etc he was speechless.
So far I havnt have any issue yet.
Old 06-02-17, 09:34 AM
cFoo
Driver

Originally Posted by forum429
You are not the only one.
I have the same injector issue on my vehicle before and have 1 of the injector replaced.
The service adviser gave me that "bad fuel" explanation too.
After I asked him isn't there's a fuel filter that will filter out the contamination etc he was speechless.
So far I havnt have any issue yet.
Thanks for chiming in! I guess having 1 injector failed isn't as catastrophic as 3 on the same bank!
Old 06-02-17, 10:45 AM
nykos5000
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This reminds me of the early E90 335i days with the newly released N54...but kind of odd for the 2GR-FSE...engine has been in production for 10 years...def must be an one off fluke.
Old 06-02-17, 01:42 PM
ejn184
Pit Crew

pardon my english, got the same problem. right now the car on open road lexus richmond bc. waiting for them to call to give the result. they gave a rental car. i hope only the injector failed , not other things. still on warranty . mine 2016 is350 fsport awd. i think around vancouver bc canada, lots a bad dirty gas pump station.
Old 06-02-17, 02:50 PM
ejn184
Pit Crew

just got the call from the dealer. they said one of the injector failed. gotta wait for a week to order the parts.

Last edited by ejn184; 06-02-17 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel injectors dead - 350 AWD