IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Fuel injectors dead - 350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 08:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
like I said earlier, get rid of the car. You got a dud.
I agree. Definitely a Friday afternoon build...
Old 01-06-17, 11:02 AM
LFinesse
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LFinesse
You are right to be concerned if the dealer plans to ONLY replace 3 failed fuel injectors. I'd be suspicious. You should have them identify which 3 injectors failed and have them record it on the final service invoice.
As it is unlikely that 3 fuel injectors fail at the same time unless there is a adjunct primary fault, such as faulty/failed ignition coil, faulty ignition wiring.....
For your future protection, if Lexus only replaces the 3 fuel injectors I suggest you write to Lexus Canada and state your concerns about the number of failed injectors and lack of a primary cause for the simultaneous failure and have their response in writing before the warranty period is over.

Lexus (dealer) should provide you with a loaner or rental for this warranty work. It's not acceptable to not have alternative transportation. At minimum make the request again directly with the service manager, communicate all your concerns about the level of service and diagnosis and give the manager the opportunity to respond and/or correct it. If they refuse to provide alternate transportation, you should write to Lexus Canada with a complaint and demand some form of credit.
Hi cFoo,
After you received the car back with the 3 new replacement injectors , I opted to wait for the your next failure to happen and for you to report back before I added more fuel to the fire... Didn't want to worry you more than necessary.

Not knowing the new DTC, however as I said before if Lexus service only replace 3 injectors then they have not found and fixed the root problem , I am going to assume that the codes are the same misfire on bank 2 ( cylinders 2,4,6).
My suggestions are:
1. Call Lexus and have it towed to the dealer to avoid fouling up and ruining those injectors or they will all fail again.
2. Write/Call Lexus Canada Customer Service about the poor Lexus service and poor diagnostics. It doesn't take much intelligence for a decent mechanic to know that 3 injectors on the same bank 2 don't all fail on its own.
3. Ask the service manager if they have a certified Lexus Master mechanic on staff and you want that person assigned to your case.
4. Suggest to the service manager/mechanic to check and/or replace the Oil Control Valve and Filter.

What engine oil do you use and what is your oil change interval
BTW, for alternate transportation, if the dealer does not have a loaner they could also provide you with a rental. It should not be upto you to call around.... call Lexus Canada Customer Service.
Old 01-06-17, 05:12 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I service the car regularly at the same dealer. I used to do my own service when I had my S2000 but too busy now to mess around with the IS. I thought I would leave it to the experts. If they F up and put in the wrong **** then we'll have some very constructive discussions with Lexus Canada.

You are right. I am getting the car to another dealer right now. They willingly offered a loaner without me having to ask. I just want to get the car there first, then deal with my old dealer. Going to be spending the weekend getting all the facts together to sit down and call Lexus Canada on Monday.
Old 01-06-17, 05:52 PM
LFinesse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cFoo
They willingly offered a loaner without me having to ask.
Honestly, that's what I'd expect from any Lexus dealer.
Old 01-11-17, 10:48 AM
cFoo
Driver

New dealer confirmed catalytic converter is dead, thus it's throwing a P0430. The parts are on back order so they cleared the code and said I can continue to drive. The light will come back on eventually. Excellent. Either way, I'm super happy with the service at the new dealer. For once I do not have to beg for a loaner and they explained everything including the cause for the cat failure. Apparently bad fuel injectors will kill the cat next.

If any one is interested, the symptoms explained in this 450H thread are identical to what I've been experiencing since last year. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...anty-work.html - when I brought it up with the previous dealer the SA said it was all normal as the car is warming up. BS! If you experience near stalling and rough idle after about 5-10minutes of driving, have them take a look at the fuel injectors before you're stranded.
Old 01-11-17, 01:19 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

New dealer confirmed catalytic converter is dead, thus it's throwing a P0430. The parts are on back order so they cleared the code and said I can continue to drive. The light will come back on eventually. Excellent. Either way, I'm super happy with the service at the new dealer. For once I do not have to beg for a loaner and they explained everything including the cause for the cat failure. Apparently bad fuel injectors will kill the cat next.

If any one is interested, the symptoms explained in this 450H thread are identical to what I've been experiencing since last year. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...anty-work.html - when I brought it up with the previous dealer the SA said it was all normal as the car is warming up. BS! If you experience near stalling and rough idle after about 5-10minutes of driving, have them take a look at the fuel injectors before you're stranded.
Glad to hear that finally a Lexus dealer knows what they're doing, taking so long to figure this out is not acceptable, specially coming from Lexus, keep us posted on the final results just for information purposes, all the best, thanks for the info BTW!!
Old 01-11-17, 01:22 PM
LFinesse
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear you're happy with their service.

I'd agree that misfiring or no firing over a prolonged period will kill the catalytic converter as unburnt fuel will flow into the manifold and cat, which gets ignited and cause a melt down of the catalyst. If you drove the car long enough with the misfiring, it possibly also damaged the oxygen sensor too.
Old 01-31-17, 09:08 AM
cFoo
Driver

Finally got the car back after 2 days in the shop. Replaced the B2 exhaust manifold. Will have to wait to see if O2 sensor will fail. It makes sense that they can't work on it unless it failed. Huge different, the car no longer have rough idles in the morning. Smooth as butter. Definitely something to keep an eye out if you have rough idle. Don't wait for the fuel injectors to die.

For those who are in Vancouver. I really hate to do this as this is in noway the service advisor's fault but I am compelled to share my absolutely horrendous level of service at Regency Lexus. To be honest, the service advisor was respectful and did his absolute best given the constraints given to him by his cheap employer. I left a very negative survey when Lexus Canada followed up for feedback. The service advisor received very high rating, but I knocked the dealer. The service advisor that dealt with me is also an assistant manager so he reached out with a long email explaining what may have been a miscommunication blah blah the usual customer service responses. This is a quote regarding the loaner booking:
Please understand that our loaner vehicles are in extremely high demand and are usually booked a minimum of a week in advance and as much as two weeks in advance. However if there is an occasion that you would like a loaner at short notice I will certainly do my level best to accommodate.
For comparisons. I went to OpenRoad Lexus in Port Moody, completely out of the way for me but it was totally worth it. When the check-engine light came on, they had a loaner ready when I showed up, in case I need it. It turned out I could continue driving the car until the parts arrive. On my second visit to drop the car off for the exhaust manifold replacement I was given a choice of an IS, NX, or CT as a loaner. I decided to test my luck. I asked if they have a new RX because I'm interested in one. It took all but 5 minutes for them to look for the key and gave me a new RX as a loaner for 2 days.

I'll let you be the judge as to which dealer provided the best Lexus experience and really live up to The Pursuit of Perfection.

Old 01-31-17, 09:36 AM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear it worked out okay!
You got me a little worried, I've noticed some hardcore shaking when stopped during the first 10 minutes of my drive.

Maybe its worth paying for a complete inspection at my next oil change for peace of mind...
Old 01-31-17, 10:37 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the oil changed too now. If it was dumping enough fuel to kill the cat, then you definitely fuel in your oil. Dealer won't do it, but screw it, you don't want to prematurely wear all your bearings from lack of proper lubrication, and then have the engine crap the bed at 120,000km when you're out of warranty.

And if you want to dump that IS350 for a good price, let me know!! I'm a very short flight away.
Old 01-31-17, 11:04 AM
cFoo
Driver

Definitely did the oil change. Flushed everything out.

Crossxup11, I would definitely look into it. I know exactly what you mean with the hardcore shaking. You can feel it straight up to the steering wheel and if you put it into neutral it'll shake a bit less. It is always between the 5-10 minutes mark.
Old 01-31-17, 08:42 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same issue last week as well.
The car suddenly had rough idle and CEL so I took it into a dealer for warranty work
The car threw 4 codes (misfiring on # 2, 4. 6, System running rich) and they tried to clear it.
After clearing the codes the car still have misfiring on cylinder 6 and they found it's a fail injector on cylinder 6 which was replaced under warranty.
I have aftermarket exhaust on my car and my car is back firing all the time.
I am now worry about now it will have a damaged catalytic converter and dealer will deny warranty because of the exhaust system.
Old 02-01-17, 05:08 PM
cFoo
Driver

Identical misfiring on cylinders 2, 4, and 6. If you look at my latest work order, the mechanic stated the cause for the failure is from the failed fuel injectors. If you want, I can scan the full work order for you to show your dealer or take it to the same dealer I went to.
Old 03-24-17, 01:37 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Identical misfiring on cylinders 2, 4, and 6. If you look at my latest work order, the mechanic stated the cause for the failure is from the failed fuel injectors. If you want, I can scan the full work order for you to show your dealer or take it to the same dealer I went to.
Did your car have RPM Dipping up/down ? mine does little bit all the time regardless of anything .
Old 03-24-17, 09:06 PM
cFoo
Driver

Originally Posted by Solara350
Did your car have RPM Dipping up/down ? mine does little bit all the time regardless of anything .
It used to dip below 1,000 to about 800. I doubt you'll be able to do anything about it. Without probable cause the dealer can't do any work on it. You're just going to have to wait for something to break. It's very unfortunate but that's how they operate. Lexus roadside will take good care of you. Just pray that it doesn't break at the worse possible time.

Quick Reply: Fuel injectors dead - 350 AWD