IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

ISF on the horizon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 12:47 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ISF on the horizon?

So we all know the ISF went the way of the Dodo bird but seeing that the GSF made its debut with the mid-life refresh of the current generation, do you think the ISF will make a come back with the refresh? I'd like to think so considering how hot the sport compact segment is. Any bit of another car offering in the segment I think just helps the breed become better. I'd hate to think that Lexus gave up on the segment after just one go at it. I would love to see the ISF make a come back.
Old 06-01-16, 01:12 PM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure. They really did not sell very well the first time around. In 2012 only 875 were sold. In 2007 only 170 were sold/manufactured.

In all just under 12k ISF's were sold world wide. With the RCF out, I doubt they will release the ISF.

Last edited by Vivid101; 06-01-16 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 01:22 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vivid101
not sure. They really did not sell very well the first time around. In 2012 only 875 were sold. In 2007 only 170 were sold/manufactured.

In all just under 12k ISF's were sold world wide.
Yup, I do realize they weren't flying out of dealer lots but the ISF technicality wasn't an "approved" product in the first place. It was developed as a skunks program. Lexus should really keep in mind that when the first E30 M3 came out, they were selling those and couldn't even give them away. Today they're being sold at about 3 times their original price in perfect condition. Part of it is because BMW keep with the car and perfected it over the years. I think with Toyota and Lexus being as large as they are, they can afford to lose money of the ISF in the name of marketing and branding and maybe, just maybe, if they stick to the model, they may actually develop a car that people really will want and crack a profit from it too.

Certainly having the car for just one generation isn't going to help their sporty image that the CEO of Toyota so desperately wants. Make the ISF, the Supra Turbo, bring back the MR2 Turbo, make a truly sporty suv (brand new model) to compete with the x5 and cayenne. The RX is a great car and the F sport is a nice car but it's definitely not in the same category as the sporty x5 or cayenne.

This is what Lexus and Toyota keep missing. They make great cars....that they're used to making and scared of getting into categories or segments that make the heart race and bring people into the showroom. They've perfected the corolla and camry and RX. Now it's time to expand to the Supra Turbo, MR2 Turbo, SC, ISF, a new model to compete with the sporty SUV's.

I love the LC500 but can't afford it. The RCF is nice but it's 4000 pounds. Dang. It seriously needs to lose 500 pounds.
Old 06-01-16, 01:22 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Considering it would be absurd to sell an ISF and GSF since they'll occupy a very similar space if they shared the 5.0 L V8, I don't see the chance of an ISF any time soon until they slap a pair of turbos onto the GSF to differentiate the two sedans.
Old 06-01-16, 01:30 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
Considering it would be absurd to sell an ISF and GSF since they'll occupy a very similar space if they shared the 5.0 L V8, I don't see the chance of an ISF any time soon until they slap a pair of turbos onto the GSF to differentiate the two sedans.
They can always use the "old" ISF engine since it's a lower in hp than the RCF and GSF or they can still use the same engine in the RCF and GSF and detune it a little in the ISF.
Old 06-01-16, 02:27 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
They can always use the "old" ISF engine since it's a lower in hp than the RCF and GSF or they can still use the same engine in the RCF and GSF and detune it a little in the ISF.
Can you imagine the *****storm (especially here on clublexus lol) that would cause? ISF owners griped at how incremental of an upgrade the RCF was in performance. The lower weight of the 3IS and a detuned 5.0L would put it right around the same performance level as the RCF. It just wouldn't make much sense IMO. I'm confident that Lexus will bring the ISF moniker back for the 4IS. Let's hope oil prices stay low so we can keep these howling V8s!
Old 06-01-16, 02:40 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think the ISF will be gone forever. But when it will make its return is the big question. It’s quite obvious that Lexus wants to compete with the AMG and M’s. And we all know that MBZ and BMW both make it a point to have an AMG/M for EVERY DAMN model they have.

Lexus F is obviously in it’s infancy…once they get their **** together and start being seen as legitimate competitors to AMG/M then I’m sure we’ll see an F for every Lexus model as well….it might take another 20 years though at this pace!
Old 06-01-16, 04:12 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

i think they will bring it back but not anytime soon. the current V8 in the GSF and RCF will not fit into the 3is body. perhaps they are developing a twin turbo V6 for the 4is or maybe a smaller V8 turbo? i can't see them suddenly offering a brand new engine just for the ISF when the GSF is currently out.

i really want my next car to have at least 500 horses but for some reason i can't see the future ISF reaching that number. if they build a turbo V6, at least the car will be lighter. and if it had something just shy of 500, say 480 or so but come in at about 3500 pounds, it think that would be fun car to drive and i don't think those numbers are unrealistic or too drastic, even for lexus standards.
Old 06-01-16, 05:54 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus has already stated that from here on out, all F models will not have the NA V8 engine. There's plenty of hope for a turbocharged IS-F.
Old 06-02-16, 06:34 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
Lexus has already stated that from here on out, all F models will not have the NA V8 engine. There's plenty of hope for a turbocharged IS-F.
I'm guessing this is last the of the NA v8 in the RCF, GSF, and LC500. They've already said the LC will have an F model with turbos. Maybe the ISF will make a debut with the refresh and with a new F engine. Possibly a smaller turbo v8 or an inline 6 turbo from their partnership with BMW.
Old 06-02-16, 11:58 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
Possibly a smaller turbo v8 or an inline 6 turbo from their partnership with BMW.
My dream car would be an inline 6 turbo drivetrain from BMW with Lexus's interior, chassis, suspension, etc. If Lexus came out with something like that (not necessarily using BMW parts), I would trade my IS350 in for it.
Old 06-02-16, 12:36 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by goldengame
My dream car would be an inline 6 turbo drivetrain from BMW with Lexus's interior, chassis, suspension, etc. If Lexus came out with something like that (not necessarily using BMW parts), I would trade my IS350 in for it.
No need to use BMW parts as Toyota used to make an inline 6 sequential twin turbo in the Supra Turbo. What a fantastic car that was. Loved it then and still love it now! Bring that engine back and just upgrade some of the internal engineering with BMW expertise but use Toyota/Lexus reliable engineering.

But yes, if it has an inline 6 turbo, that would be awesome. I still have hope for a return of the Supra Turbo. I hope it doesn't come back like how the MR Spyder came back after the MR2 Turbo and was a complete let down. I sold my recent 335 because I just couldn't handle the reliability (lack there of) anymore so I'm hoping to either get a Supra Turbo or ISF in the future. The RCF is great but it's about 500 pounds too heavy for what it is.
Old 06-06-16, 03:08 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

isn't BMW working with Toyota on a sports car that might be the next supra. someone might get their wish for a BMW/Toyota mashup car! haha