IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Seat cracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 06:55 AM
acharmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat tear

Hello forum, I know this has been discussed in the past but I haven't seen any recently. My car just has 15,000k a month shy to the one year anniversary and look what I found over the weekend. This is ridiculous an expensive car with such cheap seats. I took it to the dealer Saturday and still expecting a call from then for authorization. No pleased with the whole experience.For the past days every time I get in the car it reminds me of the $420 car payment and seating in a rip car seat . 2016 IS 200 F-sport.

Last edited by acharmer; 06-20-17 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-24-17, 10:22 AM
friday9x
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check to see if you can get that repaired under warranty. The NuLuxe appears to be so thin on the F-Sport seats.
Old 06-24-17, 12:50 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine 2014 350 Fsport has leather cracks right on that position too, not just leather alone but plastic interior scratched like crazy, the PAINT also cheap, every time after i wash my car i see a stone chip or scratch, not scratch from people but Highway stone flies and hits, ill take picture tonight, this is a 40k$ car ? Paint and Leather from my uncle's 18 years old Camry still fresh, might trade in for 2018 Toyota Camry 3.5L sport package, its produce 301HP faster than IS350.
Old 06-24-17, 12:55 PM
friday9x
Driver School Candidate

The chipping paint can be attributed to environmental additives. Something about the waterbased paint makes it easy to crack.
Old 06-24-17, 02:18 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

It's all about how the car is taken care of. I've had my IS for 3 1/2 years. I do not have any wear on the seat bolster area and only minor scratches in the most used areas inside. I also have light gray seats, and while there is minimal dye transfer on the bottom of the back support, most people wouldn't even notice it.

I had PPF applied to my car immediately after purchase and have no paint missing; using the two bucket wash method, there are no swirls. The car get clay barred and waxed twice a year and still looks amazing.
Old 11-13-17, 08:12 AM
acharmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update, after emails, phone calls with Lexus headquarters. The top part of the seat was replaced for free and the dealer replaced with no labor cost.
Old 11-15-17, 12:25 AM
alexkidd
Rookie

Originally Posted by doodlebug
It's all about how the car is taken care of. I've had my IS for 3 1/2 years. I do not have any wear on the seat bolster area and only minor scratches in the most used areas inside. I also have light gray seats, and while there is minimal dye transfer on the bottom of the back support, most people wouldn't even notice it.

I had PPF applied to my car immediately after purchase and have no paint missing; using the two bucket wash method, there are no swirls. The car get clay barred and waxed twice a year and still looks amazing.
This just is not true. These cars have terrible paint and chip / scratch WAY easier than they should.
Old 11-15-17, 03:57 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexkidd
This just is not true. These cars have terrible paint and chip / scratch WAY easier than they should.
Uh, what part is not true? Just because Lexus has soft paint does not make my statement untrue.
Old 11-15-17, 04:39 AM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Uh, what part is not true? Just because Lexus has soft paint does not make my statement untrue.
If you think your car has no swirls after 3 1/2 years you are fooling yourself badly. I know how to do 2 part paint correction and have done it many times, There is no coating in the world that will prevent that on paint.
Old 11-15-17, 05:05 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by schur
If you think your car has no swirls after 3 1/2 years you are fooling yourself badly. I know how to do 2 part paint correction and have done it many times, There is no coating in the world that will prevent that on paint.
I'm not saying my car has never had minor paint correction, it has. My hubby has all of the tools to maintain the paint. I'm saying that scratches and swirls can be minimized greatly if you just make an honest effort to maintain your vehicle. In fact, I have a car full of scratches right now from the body shop "detailing" my car for me after I asked them not to touch it. So, more work needs to be done. But, I'm not gonna cry and complain because a little work is in order.
I just seems like people expect their car to be perfect with little or no prevention and/or maintenance. Damn.
Old 11-15-17, 08:15 AM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

It is good that you know how to take care of your car, but one method does not fit all applications and lecturing the OP that it is all about how he takes care of his car was not helpful. Cussing wasn't either.
One way does not fit all circumstances. I for example have a fun car (Corvette) that gets nothing but foam cannon 2 bucket hand washes. It still gets swirls on it and needs major correction every other year. My IS however is my daily driver in the muck and junk of Chicago, throughout the winter. For me the convenience and ability to get it quickly washed (without me standing in the snow) override the super duper car wash regimen, so I got one in Ultra White (as to not show the swirls) and I run it through an automated car wash I trust - REGULARLY - Gasp. It''ll get swirled to the high heavens (coated with opticoat), but I don't care - I'd rather keep it clean and the salt off it.To the OP, congrats on getting Lexus to make it right, that is great news!
Old 11-15-17, 09:04 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

It is good that you know how to take care of your car, but one method does not fit all applications and lecturing the OP that it is all about how he takes care of his car was not helpful. Cussing wasn't either.
One way does not fit all circumstances. I for example have a fun car (Corvette) that gets nothing but foam cannon 2 bucket hand washes. It still gets swirls on it and needs major correction every other year. My IS however is my daily driver in the muck and junk of Chicago, throughout the winter. For me the convenience and ability to get it quickly washed (without me standing in the snow) override the super duper car wash regimen, so I got one in Ultra White (as to not show the swirls) and I run it through an automated car wash I trust - REGULARLY - Gasp. It''ll get swirled to the high heavens (coated with opticoat), but I don't care - I'd rather keep it clean and the salt off it.To the OP, congrats on getting Lexus to make it right, that is great news!
My posts from today are from being told my comments aren't true. But, paint issues aside, the seat issues are usually a direct result from harsh ingress and egress, regardless of which owner did it. 4 years in, I have no seat wear. It's great to know how you take care of your car, too. 😊
Old 11-15-17, 09:15 AM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

If you're going to state that your car after 3 1/2 years with only 2 bucket hand washes, clay and wax twice a year has no swirls, you should think about the truth in that. I believe that is what alex kidd was commenting on.
Old 11-15-17, 09:50 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

If you're going to state that your car after 3 1/2 years with only 2 bucket hand washes, clay and wax twice a year has no swirls, you should think about the truth in that. I believe that is what alex kidd was commenting on.
After the paint had been corrected from dealership damage, the 2 bucket, clay and wax did keep it swirl free. But, since that's impossible, I surrender.

Last edited by doodlebug; 11-15-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 02:17 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

After the paint had been corrected from dealership damage, the 2 bucket, clay and wax did keep it swirl free. But, since, that's impossible, I surrender.
I would certainly never put my car through a "spinning (dirt laced) brush" car wash...

Quick Reply: Seat cracking