IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Seat cracking

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 11:30 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
For US spec cars, all F Sports have NuLuxe seats. The base model has NuLuxe as well Only the optional Luxury package has leather.

In some locations, like in the UK, the F Sport seats are leather. I don't know about the ME.
I think they all come with leather in my country except the standard 250. I think my seats are holding just fine for a car used for 2.5 years and driven 60k miles.
Old 03-14-16, 11:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

When I sold my IS after 2+ years and 16k miles, my NuLuxe seats were still like new. These cracks and such should not be happening with normal wear/tear.
Old 03-14-16, 12:09 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These are my seats.
Old 03-14-16, 12:30 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^^ Those are leather.
Old 03-14-16, 01:16 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So i just got back home from Lexus of Orlando. Just so everyone knows my seats are the F-Sport seats. I'll also be talking about two different Lexus dealer ships. JM Lexus and Lexus of Orlando, they are 3.5 hours apart.

So what happened was that I purchased this car PreOwned Lexus Certified at JM Lexus towards the end of this past December. I moved to Orlando and took my car to Lexus of Orlando to get the seats checked out. Lexus of Orlando told me that they think that the seats were tampered with or repaired either by JM Lexus or someone else, so Lexus of Orlando advised me to talk to JM Lexus to get this issue resolved.

I also just noticed that the inside bolster feels nice and filled, and the outside bolster thats cracking is hollow like there is no filling inside of it.
I'll be sending pictures and videos to JM Lexus to see what they can do and hopefully i won't need to drive all the way down to JM Lexus to get this resolved. Does anyone here know if there is some kind of reimbursment if i had to pay to get the seats fixed at Lexus of Orlando?
Old 03-14-16, 01:36 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

After the comment from Lexus of Orlando about the seats being tampered with I looked at your OP picture again. It absolutely looks like it's been messed with. I can see texture differences. JM Lexus should replace the seat cover. If they try to give you the runaround (which hopefully they won't since it's certified), I think I'd contact corporate.
Old 03-14-16, 01:39 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Originally Posted by doodlebug
After the comment from Lexus of Orlando about the seats being tampered with I looked at your OP picture again. It absolutely looks like it's been messed with. I can see texture differences. JM Lexus should replace the seat cover. If they try to give you the runaround (which hopefully they won't since it's certified), I think I'd contact corporate.
Yea Lexus of Orlando said that JM should've caught that before I got the car. I just emailed JM Lexus so ill keep you guys updated with what happens
Old 03-14-16, 03:54 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

uh yeah, totally looks like someone used vinyl filler to fill in the seat hole! that's really lame!
Old 03-14-16, 04:23 PM
ISTORO
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueDat96
Hey everyone, My seats started cracking and i was wondering if there is anything I can buy to treat/fix/prevent this? Can this be covered under warranty? I'm at 22K on miles

Looks like the stitching is a different color too. Hope they will cover it since it's a certified preowned.
Old 03-14-16, 05:11 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Sooo... in other words, this will most likely not happen if one is NOT going to mess with the seats. Cause this honestly do not like normal wear and tear..
Old 03-14-16, 05:19 PM
TrueDat96
Driver

Yes, but it makes me wonder what was wrong to give them a reason to mess with the seats
Old 03-14-16, 05:58 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

My guess is that it's wear and tear from entering and exiting the vehicle. It looks to be located on the side bolster on an F Sport seat. I imagine those that don't have the auto tilt and telescopic steering wheel put more wear on this area of the seat since there isn't the extra room available once the steering wheel is retracted when the car is shut off.
Old 03-14-16, 06:32 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Of course, it is a known vulnerable spot for seat wearing, this is a picture of the same spot in my 15-year old BMW Z3, other Z3 owners report identical issue. Perhaps some vehicles with low-sport seating are more prone to it than others. But because it is leather there is no hole or a breach of integrity.

Old 03-17-16, 08:33 AM
TrueDat96
Driver

Update: I found some time to drive down to south Florida from Orlando to talk to JM Lexus and see some family as well. I went in at 9:00am and left with a new driver seat by 10:30am. I asked them if they actually gave me a new seat and they said they just took it out of a different car that had low mileage, either way I'm a happy customer and I'm happy with the outcome.
Old 03-17-16, 09:08 AM
M1AH3A7
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueDat96
Update: I found some time to drive down to south Florida from Orlando to talk to JM Lexus and see some family as well. I went in at 9:00am and left with a new driver seat by 10:30am. I asked them if they actually gave me a new seat and they said they just took it out of a different car that had low mileage, either way I'm a happy customer and I'm happy with the outcome.
Wow thats some impressive service by JM lexus.

Quick Reply: Seat cracking