IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Lexus Warranty/Protection Plans.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 11:12 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default New Lexus Warranty/Protection Plans.

Hey guys,

I finally made the decision and got a 2016 Lexus IS350 Fsport, White on Black.

My question is... Is the Lexus warranty/protection plans worth it?

Like the prepaid maintenance and extended warranty?

Also, there was one that I kind of considered. I forgot the name of the plan. but it basically covers paint chips, dings, scratches, replacement of pop tires, cracks on windshield for 5 years/unlimited times. (Around $900-1000)

Do you guys think any of these are worth?
Old 01-17-16, 03:26 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nathantse
Hey guys,

Also, there was one that I kind of considered. I forgot the name of the plan. but it basically covers paint chips, dings, scratches, replacement of pop tires, cracks on windshield for 5 years/unlimited times. (Around $900-1000)

The wheel and tire warranty is definitely worth it. The windshield might be worth it too given that it's pretty pricey (mine was $1.5k installed, the part is around $900) and you don't have to deal with insurance premium increases. I also bought the 7yr/100k warranty just in case. I've heard the motorized LCD is pretty expensive repair on the F-Sport.
Old 01-17-16, 04:47 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i bought the extended warranty as well just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-17-16, 04:54 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

The appearance and cosmetic fix plan is something to consider. But, why the extended warranties? I mean I bought Lexus cause of reliability.

Do the computerize and electronic stuff goes wrong a lot or something?
Old 01-17-16, 08:20 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

just for peace of mind. lexus makes remarkably reliable vehicles, but they are machines and they aren't immune to problems -- problems are just less likely to occur. when/if they do occur, though, they can be costly to repair.

i suppose it all comes down to how long you want to keep the vehicle also. if you're only going to keep the car for a short while, then skipping the extended warranty makes sense. if not, then it can provide for peace of mind for some.
Old 01-18-16, 09:29 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
just for peace of mind. lexus makes remarkably reliable vehicles, but they are machines and they aren't immune to problems -- problems are just less likely to occur. when/if they do occur, though, they can be costly to repair.

i suppose it all comes down to how long you want to keep the vehicle also. if you're only going to keep the car for a short while, then skipping the extended warranty makes sense. if not, then it can provide for peace of mind for some.
Yeah, I do plan to keep the car for a long time. Thats why I went with Lexus and not German.

All Japanese cars I've own so far, my previous was a 2012 Mazda6, before that a Toyota, there has been no problems what so ever.

People say most cars won't have any problems (*major at least) till after 8 years of ownership.. Could be wrong. But, I guess I'll opt for the appearance protection plan.
Old 01-18-16, 09:32 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Yeah, I do plan to keep the car for a long time. Thats why I went with Lexus and not German.

All Japanese cars I've own so far, my previous was a 2012 Mazda6, before that a Toyota, there has been no problems what so ever.

People say most cars won't have any problems (*major at least) till after 8 years of ownership.. Could be wrong. But, I guess I'll opt for the appearance protection plan.
yeah, i mean, it's totally a personal decision and based on lexus' well-reputed reliability record, it would seem that you wouldn't have much to worry about. i, however, need to have an extended service agreement or else i'll worry about it, even though i may only use it for minor issues, e.g., a water pump failure or something.

that said, i had to use my extended service agreement a lot on my previous 2IS 250.
Old 01-19-16, 06:50 AM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey guys,

Please get the windshield,rim and tires!
They just replaced one of my tire just because they didn't like( had about a inch of tire flapping on the sidewall) lol flapping
But as for the windshield......
Soft as hell and 1 tiny chip will become a large one! $1800 new without install.
I think lexus been using this motor for awhile so that says something. However
I had this car for 1 year now...with a broken windshield

Last edited by woowoo; 01-19-16 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-17-16, 12:08 AM
JOSHYUA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you purchase the the protection plan for windshield/tire/rim after purchase?
Old 06-17-16, 05:38 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't bother. Odds are on your side with Lexus reliability. Car insurance covers windshield breakage. I guess the tire protection would be something to think about (depending where you live).
I had 2 nails in 20 years in Central NJ. I move to SWFL and 3 nails in less than 1 year. One of them in my RFT on my BMW X3 which had 30k on it and i had to replace all 4 tires even though there was a lot of tread left. I will be going back to Lexus within 2 years when the BMW gets close to 50k miles. Next car will probably be my last upscale car and will probably keep it for 8-10 years so it has to be reliable. Now, if Lexus would only make a car that appeals to me and didn't have styles that look like they'll turn into robots.
Old 06-17-16, 01:01 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JOSHYUA
Can you purchase the the protection plan for windshield/tire/rim after purchase?
I tired a while back. The dealership said no. I even tried calling corporate because I just bought the car a couple days ago, and decided that I did in fact wanted the plan. They still said no.

Oh wells. My insurance does cover windshield. And getting a rim fixed from rashes is around $100 per rim.