IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS200t Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-16, 12:10 AM
Logitech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picking one up tomorrow or Sunday. I lost interest in the GS-F. It's going to be a lease for 3 years at $210 with $2K down. Test drove the car and liked it a lot.
Old 09-09-16, 02:01 AM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Logitech
Picking one up tomorrow or Sunday. I lost interest in the GS-F. It's going to be a lease for 3 years at $210 with $2K down. Test drove the car and liked it a lot.
How peculiar. These two cars are on the opposite sides of the spectrum: large, plush, and powerful as opposed to small, sporty, and slow (some may say underpowered). What triggered the change of heart?
Old 09-09-16, 02:25 AM
Logitech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
How peculiar. These two cars are on the opposite sides of the spectrum: large, plush, and powerful as opposed to small, sporty, and slow (some may say underpowered). What triggered the change of heart?
Dealers wouldn't budge on price. I could go for a competitor product and get a better car for slightly more or similar that Lexus is asking for. I also drive a lot. This is going to be my fourth Lexus car. My old LS400 was good on gas, my SC400 and IS300 1st generation weren't. I was spending upwards of 300-400 a month on gas for the IS when I had it. The GS-F is a fuel hog, and I drive with a lead foot sometimes. The dealer let me borrow 200 overnight to see how it fit my lifestyle. It wasn't a new new car. It had a few thousand miles on it due to it being given as a loaner. I was sold after more than half a day's worth of driving. There is some lag in the car depending on how much boost is available, and it's no 350 or GS-F, but the ride is smooth, good sound insulation and like every other Lexus you're inclined to fall asleep in it if you're not careful. I'm in the market to purchase a house in the next year and it makes good sense to get the 200 instead of a bigger and much more faster car. I'm getting it for cheaper than an Accord LX and it's way better than the Accord. If they come out with a GS-F with forced induction I may terminate my lease and get that instead down the line.
Old 09-09-16, 08:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Some say the IS200t is slow and some say the GS-F is slow (any new M crushes the daylights out of it. With its hands tied)

So it's all relative.

IS200t is not fast. But it's not slow. I'd say it's satisfyingly quick. I have no problem moving through traffic. 0-60 in 6.9s in a 3,500 lb car is nothing to scoff at. Nothing to write home about either. It works well.

It's also not about the absolute #s, but how it makes that power. Very satisfying in this engine. 258 ft lbs at 1,650 RPM vs the 350's 277 at 4800 RPMs.
Old 09-09-16, 09:52 AM
Logitech
Driver School Candidate

I wonder what future engine the car would get in the next gen. The IS is due for a refresh next year, isn't it?
Old 09-09-16, 04:03 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

The IS likely wont change until 2019 or 2020. I'm sure Lexus is working on some version of a Twin Turbo V6. They have to. Or they wont be able to compete.
Old 09-09-16, 05:35 PM
Logitech
Driver School Candidate

Huh. That is weird! I've been told by many people that historically the IS is redesigned one year after the GS. It was even mentioned in this topic. Lexus ought to put a twin turbo, and possibly use a mechanism to keep the turbos spooled up to reduce lag. But I would rather see Lexus remove excess weight that plagues their performance cars. It's cheaper to add power, but not cheap to reduce weight while maintaining the quality customers have grown to love about Lexus.
Old 09-09-16, 06:45 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
The IS likely wont change until 2019 or 2020. I'm sure Lexus is working on some version of a Twin Turbo V6. They have to. Or they wont be able to compete.
Not sure if they care to compete. Why should they? With sales at No.1 position, and mostly on SUV's, there is no real need to change. Real performance fans will look elsewhere anyhow, and those who like fast looking cars are attracted to the more recent edgy styling, with the low volume halo cars providing some performance association with the brand.
Old 09-09-16, 06:56 PM
Logitech
Driver School Candidate

Isn't the RX the top selling car Lexus makes? I got a call from the dealer earlier. They said a car will be delivered to them tomorrow morning and that I should expect a call around noon to come and look at the car, and pick it up if I like it. I'm excited. I haven't dailied a lexus in a long time.
Old 09-09-16, 08:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Huh. That is weird! I've been told by many people that historically the IS is redesigned one year after the GS. It was even mentioned in this topic. Lexus ought to put a twin turbo, and possibly use a mechanism to keep the turbos spooled up to reduce lag. But I would rather see Lexus remove excess weight that plagues their performance cars. It's cheaper to add power, but not cheap to reduce weight while maintaining the quality customers have grown to love about Lexus.
The next GS is rumored for 2019 I believe. The IS has indeed been following the GS by one year.

2013 New GS
2014 New IS
2016 Refreshed GS
2017 Refreshed IS
Old 09-09-16, 08:10 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Isn't the RX the top selling car Lexus makes? I got a call from the dealer earlier. They said a car will be delivered to them tomorrow morning and that I should expect a call around noon to come and look at the car, and pick it up if I like it. I'm excited. I haven't dailied a lexus in a long time.
The RX is the top selling vehicle. Fingers crossed that you enjoy it!
Old 09-09-16, 10:09 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by webra
Not sure if they care to compete. Why should they? With sales at No.1 position, and mostly on SUV's, there is no real need to change. Real performance fans will look elsewhere anyhow, and those who like fast looking cars are attracted to the more recent edgy styling, with the low volume halo cars providing some performance association with the brand.
Of course they need to compete. Why do you think the 200t engine exists. A twin turbo V6 is already under development at Lexus.

Also just for the record, BMW is #1 in sales for year end 2015 sales. Ahead of Lexus (which is #2) by around 200,000 units I believe.
Old 09-09-16, 10:54 PM
Logitech
Driver School Candidate

M2 and M4 to thank for. I think the RC and the F would have sold well if it were lighter, faster, had tighter handling and didn't look hideous. I saw the thread on the 2017 IS refresh but I'm not seeing anything apart from newer headlights.
Old 09-09-16, 11:17 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I kind of like the M2 and M4 for my next car. It's crossed my mind
Old 09-10-16, 12:43 AM
Logitech
Driver School Candidate

I've test driven the M2. It's very good. It's got a go kart feeling to it. But for the price you pay, the interior refinement and road noise is almost deafening after a few hours. If a ttv6 finds itself in the next gen IS or GS, I'm down for that, otherwise I'll probably hit up Audi or Benz. In terms of luxury, I don't think the 200t is in anyway cheap feeling. Like my older Lexus cars, the new is's speeds creep up on you. Even with the overnight test driver I found myself hitting 90-100 on dead open highway and it felt like I was doing 50 or 60. A lot of true passionate drivers don't like that, they want some form of feedback. I welcome it because it keeps my body less stressed and my mind relaxed an on the road. Dealer also did me a last hookup and managed to squeeze miles to 12K a year with minimal payment increase.

Quick Reply: IS200t Test Drive