IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bluetooth Audio System Issues (Mark Levinson System)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-15, 08:32 PM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Audio System Issues (Mark Levinson System)

I have to say, the functionality of our Mark Levinson audio system is appalling unless I'm missing something here.

I connect my iPhone 6 via bluetooth and play music from my playlists on my phone. A few gripes:

1. When I use the mouse on my Lexus and click on the audio art work to see a list of the songs currently in queue, it shows me the list of songs from the beginning of the playlist, not the list of songs from where it's currently playing.

For example, let's say I'm into the 10th song of my playlist, when I click to view the songs on the display screen in the car, rather than highlighting the current song being played, it lists the songs from the beginning of the playlist. How the hell is this useful to me? Sometimes I even forget the current song being played and have no concrete way to see what song is currently being played on the playlist or what song is coming next.

Please tell me there's a way to fix this.

2. Audio volume fluctuates from one side of the car to the other. My daughter noticed it as well today in the car where the volume can fluctuate higher or lower on the left speakers vs the right speakers. It's important to point out that my audio collection is of high quality MP3 songs. I do not have this issue on any other devices.

3. Audio being played from my bluetooth device (iphone) can sometimes sound like the battery is dying. You know those old school walkmans where when the batteries became weak or were close to dying, the music would slow down ever so slightly. I get this from time to time on my system.

Anyone else suffer from any of the above issues??

Thanks
Old 05-10-15, 09:02 PM
dolfan13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jagstyles
I have to say, the functionality of our Mark Levinson audio system is appalling unless I'm missing something here.

I connect my iPhone 6 via bluetooth and play music from my playlists on my phone. A few gripes:

1. When I use the mouse on my Lexus and click on the audio art work to see a list of the songs currently in queue, it shows me the list of songs from the beginning of the playlist, not the list of songs from where it's currently playing.

For example, let's say I'm into the 10th song of my playlist, when I click to view the songs on the display screen in the car, rather than highlighting the current song being played, it lists the songs from the beginning of the playlist. How the hell is this useful to me? Sometimes I even forget the current song being played and have no concrete way to see what song is currently being played on the playlist or what song is coming next.

Please tell me there's a way to fix this.

2. Audio volume fluctuates from one side of the car to the other. My daughter noticed it as well today in the car where the volume can fluctuate higher or lower on the left speakers vs the right speakers. It's important to point out that my audio collection is of high quality MP3 songs. I do not have this issue on any other devices.

3. Audio being played from my bluetooth device (iphone) can sometimes sound like the battery is dying. You know those old school walkmans where when the batteries became weak or were close to dying, the music would slow down ever so slightly. I get this from time to time on my system.

Anyone else suffer from any of the above issues??

Thanks
I don't have the first two problems you've listed but I do have the third problem where it noticeably slows down. I actually think music on Bluetooth is always slightly slower with this car.
Old 05-11-15, 12:13 AM
osh3is350f
Driver School Candidate

When I got my car I was kinda sad it didn't have the ML system. But hearing about all the connectivity errors etc I'm glad I didn't get it. I have no issue playing music off my phone via Bluetooth. From a lot that I read I noticed it's mostly people with iPhones that have connectivity errors, I have a Samsung galaxy.
Old 05-11-15, 05:12 AM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Originally Posted by dolfan13
I don't have the first two problems you've listed but I do have the third problem where it noticeably slows down. I actually think music on Bluetooth is always slightly slower with this car.
How do you not have problem #1? I would think that's a general system feature issue that everyone would experience.

On your system, does the song list highlight the current song being played and does it display the list at where the current song being played is or start the list from the beginning??
Old 05-11-15, 05:22 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not have any connectivity or volume issues. I do experience the playlist thing but it does not bother me. Have you have installed the update to the vehicle software? There was one available shortly after my purchase in Oct. 2013.
Old 05-11-15, 09:18 AM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Try this and let us know.

Start source on bluetooth, play the content, then switch the source by selecting media from bluetooth to aux to a/v then back to bluetooth,

Corrects all my audio problems after that... its annoying i have to do this everytime i play bluetooth audio from my phone.
Old 05-12-15, 09:28 PM
jbkhat303
Rookie

Ive noticed that the iPhones sound much worse than androids. Seems as though iphones degrade the audio via bluetooth.
Old 05-16-15, 06:36 AM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbkhat303
Ive noticed that the iPhones sound much worse than androids. Seems as though iphones degrade the audio via bluetooth.
I've found that I believe the Bluetooth audio on my ML system sounds better when I have the Enform app running on my phone. I use an Android. I usually have either Pandora or iHeart in pause mode, however you do not need a station selected.

As long as the radio is set to on and of the apps and the Lexus Enform app is running on my phone, I can listen to Spotify from my phone. You do loose the ability to control your phone through the car system, but the sound for me so much better. Just a personal observation I have made.
Old 05-18-15, 04:36 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagstyles

Thanks
I have a similar symptom on my Note 4 but instead of lag, I'm getting stuttering music and a weird out-of-tune phenomenon. It seems like the music slightly changes key on Bluetooth every 10 seconds or so. This happens whether I'm playing from Spotify, Songza or MP3s. This issue doesn't happen on my NX (which doesn't have ML audio). No problems when playing from USB or iPod though.