Notices
IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

experiencing slight vibration when Idling

 
Old 09-13-14, 11:36 PM
  #1  
CobraGSF
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 559
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default experiencing slight vibration when Idling

Hey guys, so on my way home from work today, I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel and could even feel it in the shifter when stopped in drive at a light or stop sign. the car was fully warmed up and this was still happening. I don't really recall this before, but noticed it tonight as my hand felt it.

side note - I did do some spirited driving with a friend on Thursday, (two days ago) but drove the car yesterday and didn't notice the issue. I was thinking maybe I damaged something, but then again I would have felt it yesterday. so I sure hope not. Again its not a very harsh constant vibration but very slight but enough to get my attention. when I switch the car to neutral it stops and back to drive it starts again. im thinking it might be me just overreacting, but if someone could try this out themselves on their car and let me know that would be great. should I worry?
CobraGSF is offline  
Old 09-14-14, 05:26 AM
  #2  
mrkjsn
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: co
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I don't get any vibration when in idle. No one can really tell for sure whether something is wrong with yours or not without experiencing, so best advice I can give is to take it In for warranty work at the dealer.
mrkjsn is offline  
Old 11-14-14, 10:57 AM
  #3  
cFoo
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 166
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I am experiencing this now, with the temperature dropping near 0C. It's very concerning, I can feel it through the brake pedal, steering wheel, and shifter. It's gone once the car starts moving.
cFoo is offline  
Old 11-14-14, 11:11 AM
  #4  
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,492
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Engine RPM ok both in open loop and closed loop?

How many miles?

No CELs?
Swacer is offline  
Old 11-14-14, 11:27 AM
  #5  
cFoo
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 166
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I haven't even had my first service yet, 7kkm. RPM appears to be fine. It doesn't drop or anything. The concerning thing is that I don't feel this when the car is cold. It's only after about 10 minutes of driving. It is very noticeable to me. It's almost like a manual car about to stall, but the vibration has a much higher frequency.

No CELs.
cFoo is offline  
Old 11-14-14, 11:30 AM
  #6  
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,492
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cFoo View Post
I haven't even had my first service yet, 7kkm. RPM appears to be fine. It doesn't drop or anything. The concerning thing is that I don't feel this when the car is cold. It's only after about 10 minutes of driving. It is very noticeable to me. It's almost like a manual car about to stall, but the vibration has a much higher frequency.

No CELs.
I would recommend checking the oil level. I can not remember if this car has a oil pressure indicator, I would check that also.

If it continues, since you have so few miles, it sounds like a trip to the dealer would make life easy for you and alleviate your frustrations.
Swacer is offline  
Old 11-14-14, 01:40 PM
  #7  
ISISGUY
Rookie
 
ISISGUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I've experienced a similar thing with mine, I'm at 14k miles. Feels like the revs drop for a milisecond, but I look at my tach and my revs stay the same. The only reason I don't sweat it is because my previous 2 cars have done the exact same thing, but way more noticeably when the A/C fans would turn on and off. I just figure it's the same thing. Everything else seems normal, and It's done it since I got it. Have taken it in twice for service and no issues. I only notice it if I'm completely still at a stop light after several minutes and have no music on to distract me. At least to me it's very rare that I even notice it, so it might not be exactly what you have experienced if it's more noticeable.
ISISGUY is offline  
Old 11-21-14, 09:43 AM
  #8  
waleedj3is
Driver
 
waleedj3is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sharjah
Posts: 116
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I felt the same thing yesterday in my 2015 IS350 F sport. I'm at 3000 kms. I was at a traffic stop when I held the gear and felt very minor vibration. I hope it's a normal thing?
waleedj3is is offline  
Old 11-21-14, 10:16 AM
  #9  
Spagolli94
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 246
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I've noticed this lately, ever since the cold weathered arrived. It only vibrates for the first few minutes, while the engine is warming up. The car idles high, at 1,100 RPMs rather than the normal 600-700 RPMs and there's a slight vibration. As soon as the temp comes up, the RPMs drop and the vibration goes away. Mine is whisper quiet and smooth at standard idle RPM.
Spagolli94 is offline  
Old 12-04-14, 09:33 AM
  #10  
cFoo
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 166
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

What Spagolli94 described is actually what's happening. I spoke to the tech at the dealer and apparently the EMS keeps the RPM high until the engine is sufficiently warmed up. It's not an official recommendation or work around but putting the car into neutral will drop the RPM to 600-700rpm eliminating the vibration. He added a disclaimer that it's just his personal work around and not the official Lexus solution.
cFoo is offline  
Old 12-04-14, 09:45 AM
  #11  
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,492
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cFoo View Post
What Spagolli94 described is actually what's happening. I spoke to the tech at the dealer and apparently the EMS keeps the RPM high until the engine is sufficiently warmed up. It's not an official recommendation or work around but putting the car into neutral will drop the RPM to 600-700rpm eliminating the vibration. He added a disclaimer that it's just his personal work around and not the official Lexus solution.
HAHA...

I would like to note that this is not an issue. I think you are panicking on something that isn't an issue, or perhaps you've never owned a car in cold weather before?

Your car is running a higher RPM in order to generate heat quickly. Your thermostat will remain closed until your engine hits a higher temperature in which it begins to open and begins to circulate Coolant.

Throwing your car into neutral will of course raise the RPM, you've removed the drive train from the converter. This is no solution, this is just common sense. Lexus isn't going to comment because this is like telling someone the sky is blue. Its a given that everything is ok. Furthermore, it isn't smart to constantly throw your car into neutral, as you keep throwing the ECU for loops on timing and thermostat position and fan speed.

Your car is fine. Your vibration, is called the several thousand moving parts in your car....

Last edited by Swacer; 12-04-14 at 09:54 AM.
Swacer is offline  
Old 12-04-14, 11:30 AM
  #12  
nixx621
Lead Lap
 
nixx621's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 551
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
HAHA...

I would like to note that this is not an issue. I think you are panicking on something that isn't an issue, or perhaps you've never owned a car in cold weather before?

Your car is running a higher RPM in order to generate heat quickly. Your thermostat will remain closed until your engine hits a higher temperature in which it begins to open and begins to circulate Coolant.

Throwing your car into neutral will of course raise the RPM, you've removed the drive train from the converter. This is no solution, this is just common sense. Lexus isn't going to comment because this is like telling someone the sky is blue. Its a given that everything is ok. Furthermore, it isn't smart to constantly throw your car into neutral, as you keep throwing the ECU for loops on timing and thermostat position and fan speed.

Your car is fine. Your vibration, is called the several thousand moving parts in your car....
What he/she said. Also if you hold onto the gear shifter while the tranny is trying to shift you are going to feel vibrations. This is normal on all cars.
nixx621 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: experiencing slight vibration when Idling


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: