LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Do you have a vibration issue that comes and goes and comes and goes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 08:52 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down Do you have a vibration issue that comes and goes and comes and goes?

Well for the last few months i have noticed on the highway i get a vibration at around 2500 rpm . It is a really annoying algorithm type of vibration's where it gets annoying and disappears to only slowly rebuild. Kind of like an off-centered wheel.

I kept thinking it was the tires so I had them balanced. I also noticed the vibrations stopped when i shift into neutral on the highway.
So i was stopped looking at the drive shaft as it is always spinning even in neutral. So last week when i installed the electric fan i was revving the engine and holding it at 500 rpm increments. I noticed all rpms had a vibration and it got so bad it was coming through the steering wheel with the car parked and in neutral. That took any suspension transmission parts out of the equation. So today i had time on lunch and did the 500 increment again until i got to 5000rpm when i held it there for a minute i notice the rpms dropped by them self. I reved a slight bit more to get to 5000 and it held . I then went to 5500 rpms and the engine started bogging and dropping rpms like it was hitting a rev limiter or misfiring. The engine does not limit until 6500 so i knew it should not be doing this. So i brought it back to 5500 and held it for 2 minutes and it stayed fine.
I reved at wot from idle and it had to go back to work.

I remembered a long time ago getting a CEL for misfire but never thought twice about ti as it never showed again. I am thinking i had a bad coil on a cylinder causing all my issues and throwing my timing off. I will look into it later , WHY ?

Well as i drove home tonight , the missing is almost completely gone , remember this was so bad my steering wheel would vibrate on the highway or idling. I may have just gotten lucky but i have a grand to throw in other parts instead right now.

So if you have that annoying vibration try and rev your engine in 500 increments while parked to see if it is engine related or suspension or driveshaft related.

I forgot to add i can hear a difference in my exhaust as well for some reason , not sure why but it sure as hell is smoother . I also have a freed up exhaust so i can hear differences as i pay attention to stupid stuff.
Good luck

Last edited by skperformance; 11-06-07 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-06-07, 10:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

idk, i get the algorithm-esque vibration but its coz my trans mount is in multiple pieces :-P
Old 11-07-07, 12:44 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

A few WOT to blow out the cob webs.
I remember a line from a long past Road & Track article...the writer said..."officer, I'm just keeping he plugs clean."
Old 11-07-07, 01:22 PM
Ls4hundred
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get vibrations through the pedal if I let off the gas a little bit while I;m driving, what is that?
Old 11-07-07, 07:49 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Pure if your vibrations are going up and down it is not because the mount is bad it is because you are having a problem that the mount normally would isolate.

Further thinking of this situation it may be either a ignition or spark plug problem.
I am starting to equate the vibration with the o2 sensors and fuel mapping. What i mean is when all cars are at operating temperature they produce a small algorithm of fuel . What this does is makes the mixture go rich and lean continuously. Why it does this is to verify the cats are working. It uses this minor algorithm in fuel variation by having the first o2 sensor see the wave then cats remove it and the secondary ones will then see a flat line with no variation . This lets the ecu know the cats are working.

Now for some reason it seems to be amplified or multiplied unlike any other car i have ever come across .None of them will ever let you feel it , but the variation can be see on a air fuel ratio gauge. Looks like i may have to get a pair one water temp and one afr.
It would interesting to know ,if it was a stuck injector ,egr ,coil or possible a bad ecu ?

Remember this is different than a normal vibration that can be felt this is rhythmic in vibration that slowly comes and the slowly goes away to return in the same time cycle. unlike an unbalanced tire which just vibrates all the time.
Old 11-07-07, 08:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ohh, my vibration itself is constant, it just cycles on which revs, ie it shakes from xxx-xxx and xxx-xxx rpm.
Old 11-07-07, 09:04 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

When the car is in park and you rev (2000+) do you feel a vibration? Perhaps more so when the revs are coming back down?
Old 11-12-07, 08:25 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Well the vibration came back and even worse,
So i threw some sea foam (1/4) can in the tank and some berrymans 1/4 can also and it is running smooth again as well as not down shifting with the slightest depression of the gas . Lots more power and by far smoother , now i can feel only a constant vibration which is probably the engine mounts.
Will update as it goes when i fill up the tank tomorrow .
Old 11-15-07, 03:26 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

revving your engine to 5,000+ without a load is not a good idea
Old 11-15-07, 04:56 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by turbosix
revving your engine to 5,000+ without a load is not a good idea
Why is that?