IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rock Chip! omg

Old 07-22-14, 11:46 PM
Helterran
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rock Chip! omg

So apparently i got an rock chip on my car that i drove 5789 miles.......... =(..

i had to order touch up paint from Lexus... something about its 2 step process.. 1 bottle of base, 1 bottle of my super white color..........

anyone have similar issue that could give me some hints / to get rid of the rock chips?
Old 07-23-14, 12:16 AM
nayuta
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures of the rock chip?
Old 07-23-14, 02:26 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have filled plenty of rock chips on my car.
If you got one bottle of base color and one bottle of clear coat, just mix them in clean sode bottle cap or something similar.
about 8 parts of base color and 2 parts of clear coat.

Then use a paint stick (looks like detailig sticks, but smaller) to apply the paint. The brush that comes with the paint bottle is generally to big to fill small rock chips.

If you really want to get a perfect result, fill the rock chip "over the top" with paint, and wet sand it lightly after 24 hours. then polish away the light scratches from the wet sanding.
Old 07-23-14, 05:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i had small chips within 150 miles, didnt kid myself that it wasnt going to happen. The Nebula touch up paint matches very closely I was surprised.
Old 07-23-14, 05:59 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

and then after you've touched up the chips, have a shop install paint protection film (a clear bra) on the car to prevent future damage.
Old 07-23-14, 08:42 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

The first few rock chips hurt my feelings pretty bad, i even thought about clear bra and repainting the front. Two dozen chips later, I gotta say I'm glad I didn't waste my money. I use Drpaintchip, it isn't the best solution but I realized that you cannot stop chips from happening, any money you spend on fixing the chips will still only be temporary until you get a new chip, it's too stressful.
Old 07-23-14, 08:52 AM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Clear bra FTW - I spent about $900 on mine.

So far - it has saved me (since Mar 1st when I purchased) in the following:

1) Countless rock chips
2) Bird strike on front bumper - had to re-melt plastic shield but DEFINITELY would have damaged paint
3) Someone scuffed or kicked front bumper in walmart parking lot - again, just repaired shield damage
4) Bottomed out on hidden pot-hole on lower lip. Again, major scratches to shield repaired, would have been a whole new paint job for bumper
Old 07-23-14, 09:05 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

New painted bumper is only ~$600 before shipping from Sewell Lexus.
Old 07-23-14, 09:18 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
New painted bumper is only ~$600 before shipping from Sewell Lexus.
which might work for those who are willing to put up with a bumper or hood or fenders marred with rock chips until a threshold is passed and a simple bumper replacement is purchased and installed is seemingly ideal for some, except after time paint fades and thus there is likely to be a discrepancy between the colours of pre-painted parts and the original factory paint.

that, and many won't live with a certain amount of rock chips when the car can be clear-braed, avoiding the issue entirely.

those who can live with the aforementioned, like yourself, have options.
Old 07-23-14, 11:32 AM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
which might work for those who are willing to put up with a bumper or hood or fenders marred with rock chips until a threshold is passed and a simple bumper replacement is purchased and installed is seemingly ideal for some, except after time paint fades and thus there is likely to be a discrepancy between the colours of pre-painted parts and the original factory paint.

that, and many won't live with a certain amount of rock chips when the car can be clear-braed, avoiding the issue entirely.

those who can live with the aforementioned, like yourself, have options.
Plus, for $900, I got the whole hood, front skirts, bumper and mirrors done. Betcha buy all THAT new for $600
Old 07-23-14, 11:52 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With clear bra so will get uneven paint as the paint unprotected by the clear bra will fade at a quicker rate than the part covered. So it will be uneven regardless.
Old 07-23-14, 12:15 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I am starting to think I avoid a lot of damage by just never going to Wal-Mart.
Old 07-23-14, 12:29 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Dr. Color Chip in the past, with great results. I have used it on a Fern Green Metallic BMW and an Avus Blue BMW, which IMHO, are some of the hardest colors to match. If I get a lot of chips on my cars (both pearl white), I will get the kit again.
Old 07-23-14, 12:57 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by NikonGuy
With clear bra so will get uneven paint as the paint unprotected by the clear bra will fade at a quicker rate than the part covered. So it will be uneven regardless.
In my experience this has not been the case. I had a dealer installed clear bra on partial hood, partial fenders and mirrors of my last car. The bumper had no protection and it took a bit of a beating after my 6 years of ownership. After about 4 years the bra had yellowed so we took off the old bra and reinstalled a new one. There was absolutely no paint color difference whatsoever. I waxed my car at least twice a year (including the bra). The difference between the bumper and hood is the reason I had PPF installed immediately after getting my car.
Old 07-23-14, 01:26 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by doodlebug
In my experience this has not been the case. I had a dealer installed clear bra on partial hood, partial fenders and mirrors of my last car. The bumper had no protection and it took a bit of a beating after my 6 years of ownership. After about 4 years the bra had yellowed so we took off the old bra and reinstalled a new one. There was absolutely no paint color difference whatsoever. I waxed my car at least twice a year (including the bra). The difference between the bumper and hood is the reason I had PPF installed immediately after getting my car.
agreed, there was no discernible difference in color between the areas covered by ppf and those not.

my experiences mirror those of doodlebug save for the reasons behind the reinstallation. my ppf had to be reinstalled after hitting a portion of tire on the freeway and not because of any yellowing. in my experience xpel ultimate tends not to yellow, or at least not in the years that i have had it installed on my vehicle(s).

i had my 3IS's bumper, full hood, full fenders, mirrors, and headlamps covered with xpel ultimate nearly immediately after taking delivery of the vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rock Chip! omg