IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS brake upgrade question (non-BBK)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 02:20 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3IS brake upgrade question (non-BBK)

For those who want to upgrade their brakes on the 3IS without dropping atleast $3,500 on a BBK, a subtle upgrade to a slotted or drilled rotor, change of pads and painting the calipers seems like a better option for the meanwhile.

I've heard that the 2IS front upgrade rotors will fit the 3IS, but which will fit the rear? 4GS?

Also, EBC Redstuff pads that will fit the 3IS RWD is the DP31589C (Front) and DP31586C (Rear) confirmed by EBC. Redstuff pads are a great alternative to those with F-Sports that want high friction with minimal brake dust.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-25-14, 04:36 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bucanero
For those who want to upgrade their brakes on the 3IS without dropping atleast $3,500 on a BBK, a subtle upgrade to a slotted or drilled rotor, change of pads and painting the calipers seems like a better option for the meanwhile.

I've heard that the 2IS front upgrade rotors will fit the 3IS, but which will fit the rear? 4GS?

Also, EBC Redstuff pads that will fit the 3IS RWD is the DP31589C (Front) and DP31586C (Rear) confirmed by EBC. Redstuff pads are a great alternative to those with F-Sports that want high friction with minimal brake dust.

Thanks for your input.
RockAuto has the stoptech front and rear rotors. They also have them drilled or slotted/drilled. Doubtful this will add any real performance benefit but for those who like the bling...

I would recommend away from EBC for any real lap day or track duties and go with a real high performance pad from the likes of Ferodo DS2500. EBC pads are known for chunking/disintegrating on tracks. Amazingly the stock non Fsport pads hold up very well to track conditions (and dont dust much) so again there may not be a performance need for upgraded pads either.

Keep fresh RBF660 in the reservoir every year and that will likely handle any braking needs people will have.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
Roots6998 (04-19-24)
Old 06-25-14, 03:52 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Oh man, I'm not looking for any track day upgrades. If I were, a BBK would come into play easily. I'm just looking into a OEM upgrade. Cost efficient with results.

I've never had an issue with EBC before, and their Redstuff pads have always gotten great reviews for daily driving.

Thanks for the StopTech tip, I will look into those rotors for sure.
Old 06-25-14, 09:29 PM
forum429
Driver

I am running EBC Yellow Stuff for daily and I like it much more than F sport brake pads.
It does squeal a little right now but I only have it for a week so the pads probably not fully bed in.
Bite excellent even in cold.
It brakes much better and very linear compare to the stock F sport pads.
The stock pads have strong initial bite but feels like it loosen afterward where the Yellow Stuff brakes harder when you press harder on the brake.
I'd recommend Yellow Stuff if you want excellent street performance and don't mind the brake squeal and dust.
Old 06-25-14, 10:18 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Whats the product number? Have you seen any EBC rotors out yet? Like mentioned, someone mentioned 2IS front will fit, but not sure which ones for rear, and that info isnt a viable one either.
Old 06-25-14, 10:24 PM
forum429
Driver

I bought from here:
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3072A0A0.aspx
Lowest price I can find.
I have not pair with aftermarket rotors yet.
If you do not plan to track the car there are no point of getting slotted or cross drilled rotors because they kill brake pads.
The front pads and rotors are the same as 06-13 IS350 but the rear are different.
I am still looking for rear pads but seems like there are no true application for it yet.
I guess I will go with Red Stuff for the rear.
Old 08-29-15, 12:29 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bucanero

Thanks for your input.
Anyone know if DP31589C would fit an IS250?!
Old 08-29-15, 12:43 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
RockAuto has the stoptech front and rear rotors. They also have them drilled or slotted/drilled. Doubtful this will add any real performance benefit but for those who like the bling...

I would recommend away from EBC for any real lap day or track duties and go with a real high performance pad from the likes of Ferodo DS2500. EBC pads are known for chunking/disintegrating on tracks. Amazingly the stock non Fsport pads hold up very well to track conditions (and dont dust much) so again there may not be a performance need for upgraded pads either.

Keep fresh RBF660 in the reservoir every year and that will likely handle any braking needs people will have.

Mike
Stoptech sucks. Stay away. They bite hard but dust heavy and are loud. The squeal and I hate my nicely modified luxury car sounds like a pos when I stop. I've beded them and everything. I can't figure out why they are so loud. They are carbon ceramic though. Just my impression. I'm running stock rotors on the pads. I'll be changing them soon.
Old 08-29-15, 08:00 PM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

i wanna upgrade my rear caliper i have is350 and i hate it because its small !!

does anyone know what to do to swap the small caliper with big one like on the front !!
Old 08-31-15, 09:22 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

bump. can anyone help me with my question above?
Old 08-31-15, 11:08 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdotk
bump. can anyone help me with my question above?
the best way to upgrade your brakes, specially for normal street driving, is to upgrade your tires. With current ABS, Traction and Stability control systems, the advantage of "bigger is better" related to calipers, rotors and pads has pretty much faded, no pun intended.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/br...brake-upgrade/
Old 08-31-15, 11:10 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by My0gr81
the best way to upgrade your brakes, specially for normal street driving, is to upgrade your tires. With current ABS, Traction and Stability control systems, the advantage of "bigger is better" related to calipers, rotors and pads has pretty much faded, no pun intended.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/br...brake-upgrade/
I am looking to see if a part number fits my 250 or is for the 350 only. See above, someone posted a part # for EBC Red Stuff.
Old 09-02-15, 08:20 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mesh704

does anyone know what to do to swap the small caliper with big one like on the front !!
Your braking system was designed with a specific brake bias in order to work effectively. If you put a large caliper on back and do nothing up front you could have a dangerous car. You would need a full 4 wheel big brake upgrade that is specifically designed for the car to take into account the correct biasing.

Mike
Old 09-02-15, 09:03 AM
sgvlex
Rookie

I feel the same way, I wanted to change the entire set up to ISF calipers, would those fit directly on the 3IS, or would i need to switch out anything more than the rotor? example: hub assembly dust shield, etc...
Old 09-02-15, 02:30 PM
Aleriance
Driver School Candidate

The brakes are the way they are for a reason. Changing the rear calipers to a bigger set would not improve braking performance and is actually pretty dangerous. If you want to change out calipers AT ALL, your only choice is a full Big Brake Kit (BBK) which will run you a couple grand and will replace ALL the calipers, rotors, pads, brake lines, etc.