IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 09:51 PM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 3IS Interior

So I came across this pic from Lexus Hongkong official web site and realized that the 3IS sold in HK uses a different style of selector as we use a "mouse" here in NA. And it has a more useful space slot for you to put stuff in. Does anyone know if we can do a retrofit on the selector as I am totally not a fan of the "mouse" controller.
Attached Thumbnails 3IS Interior-lexus-interior.jpg  
Old 01-30-14, 11:17 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Navigation.
Old 01-31-14, 02:35 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

And I wish the models with a navi had this **** instead of the silly laggy "mouse". The **** reminds me of the bmw system which is awesome in comparison.
Old 01-31-14, 06:05 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gpxluke
So I came across this pic from Lexus Hongkong official web site and realized that the 3IS sold in HK uses a different style of selector as we use a "mouse" here in NA. And it has a more useful space slot for you to put stuff in. Does anyone know if we can do a retrofit on the selector as I am totally not a fan of the "mouse" controller.
I have used both versions (remote touch/mouse in my IS and Lexus Digital Audio controller/ turn and click controller in dealership courtesy car which is also a 3IS) and each has its own merits. Once you get used to both by actually using them, you should be fine in both equally pleasant.

One thing not being seen from the picture is the the screen layout and buttons are different for each version. So it won't do justice by just looking at the physical interface --- remote touch or Lexus Digital Audio Controller.

For the Digital Audio Controller in Lexus, it is a bit different than the iDrive in BMW.

For the Remote Touch, you should find the Home button very useful. In fact I seldom press the Menu button. For the sluggishness, it is not so much with the physical interface but the firmware/software.

My observation is based on the remote touch in my IS as well extended driving with the courtesy car from the dealership and another quality time in a current BMW (X1).
Old 01-31-14, 07:28 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget about this (j/k); what about retrofitting "Remote Touch" from the RC!? :|
Old 01-31-14, 10:42 AM
keveng15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they had a mouse in the hk model, that means you would have to use the mouse control with your left hand...
Since most people are right handed, i'd think that might be a bit difficult and perhaps is the reason why they have this???
I'm fine with the mouse control.. but i'd agree with you that there's no space to put your phones and sunglasses and small items.. (aside from the cup holder)
Old 02-01-14, 01:17 PM
gpxluke
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by keveng15
If they had a mouse in the hk model, that means you would have to use the mouse control with your left hand...
Since most people are right handed, i'd think that might be a bit difficult and perhaps is the reason why they have this???
I'm fine with the mouse control.. but i'd agree with you that there's no space to put your phones and sunglasses and small items.. (aside from the cup holder)
yes the space for phones, sunglasses and small items is definitely very useful, seriously I would definitely give up the bulky hard cushion for the little storage shown in the pic. I wasn't aware that the non-navi cars don't come with the mouse controller as the demos and the one inside the showroom all come with the mouse. I guess it's not retrofitable for the scrolling **** then?
Old 02-01-14, 05:28 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbs600
Forget about this (j/k); what about retrofitting "Remote Touch" from the RC!? :|
I been using the mouse controller with my Nav and I like it. It provides tactile feel that matches the # of buttons available to select. For example if screen shows 4 buttons than each tactile click is next button and this will change for each screen base on selections available. I think that is very useful!