IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

For those who have gone with a clear bra

Old 11-21-13, 08:45 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who have gone with a clear bra

Finally picked up my special order last Friday and got xpel ultimate clear bra on Monday

Had considered protection for the spindle grill months ago but forum members here didn't have much input. I asked my clear bra installer about this and he suggested using 3M paint defender spray film. Apparently it's like a spray on clear bra that has to be applied once a year. Sounds like a good idea. Has anyone done anything similar? Any thoughts, opinions?
Old 11-21-13, 08:59 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Sure, as long as you can get the old stuff off. I think that will be VERY difficult to remove from the grill. You might as well just repaint the grill yearly.
Old 11-21-13, 09:34 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Sure, as long as you can get the old stuff off. I think that will be VERY difficult to remove from the grill. You might as well just repaint the grill yearly.
You mean getting the old defender film off when it's time to apply a new coat? I'm wondering if it's even worth the trouble in the first place. Any other ideas to protect the grill? I'm just not sure how an unprotected grill will stand the test of time and abuse from the road.
Old 11-21-13, 09:42 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bshaw777
You mean getting the old defender film off when it's time to apply a new coat? I'm wondering if it's even worth the trouble in the first place. Any other ideas to protect the grill? I'm just not sure how an unprotected grill will stand the test of time and abuse from the road.
It's just plastic piece. How hard/expensive would it be to just replace that part later?
Old 11-21-13, 09:49 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by SonyHome
It's just plastic piece. How hard/expensive would it be to just replace that part later?
My thoughts exactly. Not that's its cheap but when I actually touched/felt it, it didn't seem like a piece worth adding any protection. It seems like it would be inexpensive to replace but you never know.
Old 11-21-13, 09:59 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

the grille comes in 2 pieces and cost $192 to replace both pieces. not worth it to protect. just replace after it starts looking bad (if it does end up that way)
Old 11-22-13, 05:53 AM
sloosh
Driver

The reason he's saying to spray it is it'd be a huge PITA to get it to cover the grill. Also the spray is pretty useless from what I read. As others are saying, just replace it if it starts to look bad.
Old 11-22-13, 08:13 AM
abcsoup
Driver

Originally Posted by alexlude
the grille comes in 2 pieces and cost $192 to replace both pieces. not worth it to protect. just replace after it starts looking bad (if it does end up that way)
Had no idea it was relatively inexpensive to replace. Good to know if it starts getting worn out a few years from now, although I think it's unlikely.
Old 11-22-13, 10:18 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlude
Actually it is cheaper to replace the F Sport grille than the non F Sport one. With CL discount, the regular (non F Sport) grille costs $212 for the top piece and unknown figure for the bottom piece according to the sewell web site.

So there is more incentive to protect the regular one. Without labour, the clear bra material is cheaper than actual replacement of the plastics in this case.
Old 11-22-13, 10:22 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Finally picked up my special order last Friday and got xpel ultimate clear bra on Monday

Had considered protection for the spindle grill months ago but forum members here didn't have much input. I asked my clear bra installer about this and he suggested using 3M paint defender spray film. Apparently it's like a spray on clear bra that has to be applied once a year. Sounds like a good idea. Has anyone done anything similar? Any thoughts, opinions?
bshaw777, since you go for the clear bra, the rocker panels (below the doors) are worth to be protected since they are eye catching. If you can find a installer who uses Proform Design kit, go for it. It is close to a perfect fit. When you open the doors, the seam is nearly impossible to see. This is one of the best kits I have ever seen on an IS so far...

I also love the Xpel Ultimate film on mine.
Old 11-22-13, 05:48 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by AndyL
bshaw777, since you go for the clear bra, the rocker panels (below the doors) are worth to be protected since they are eye catching. If you can find a installer who uses Proform Design kit, go for it. It is close to a perfect fit. When you open the doors, the seam is nearly impossible to see. This is one of the best kits I have ever seen on an IS so far...

I also love the Xpel Ultimate film on mine.
Yessir! Xpel ultimate looks beautiful. I got it for the rocker panels as well.
Old 12-02-13, 07:40 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yessir! Xpel ultimate looks beautiful. I got it for the rocker panels as well.
I was planning to get Xpel Ultimate but place I went to stated Suntek self healing film is better. He claims he had complaints from customers about stains on Xpel and he also mentioned Xpel has been having production issues because they use outsourced manufacturers.

Did you guys do any research on the Suntek film? How does that compare to Xpel?