IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Where to jack up the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 08:49 PM
zabone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to jack up the rear?

What jacking point do you guys use to jack up your 3IS's rear?
Old 10-16-13, 11:52 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 2IS uses the rear diff... I would think its the same for the 3IS. But to be sure, I would double check your manual - its listed in there
Old 10-17-13, 12:50 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would say that it is safe to say that every vehicle can use it's rear differential as a rear jacking point.
Old 10-17-13, 07:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

If you want to lift it using the included jack, see pic: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8107711-post48.html

You can't see it in the pic, but if you look underneath your car just aft of the rocker panel, there are two notches on the metal lip. You insert the notched portion of the jack within the two notches on the metal lip.
Old 10-17-13, 08:34 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
If you want to lift it using the included jack, see pic: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8107711-post48.html

You can't see it in the pic, but if you look underneath your car just aft of the rocker panel, there are two notches on the metal lip. You insert the notched portion of the jack within the two notches on the metal lip.
If you get a chance could you take few photos of this and how the jack gets inserted? I'll need to change my rims to winter when I get it and this information would be very helpful!
Old 10-17-13, 11:58 PM
zabone
Rookie

I have a full size jack and I want to lift the entire rear up to put jackstands on those tabs. without uneven pressure.. wouldn't want to bend those new tabs just yet! lol
Old 10-18-13, 12:16 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The rear diff. It's stated in the manual.
Old 10-18-13, 01:57 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

this is for an sc, but just to give you somethin....
Old 12-07-13, 04:46 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ProperD
this is for an sc, but just to give you somethin....
Can you use the floor jack to lift the car to remove tires from the 4 side locations? Do I need an adapter for the floor jacks to be able to do this since all the floor jacks I've seen has flat circular plate? Where do you get this adapter?
Old 12-07-13, 03:00 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

the floor jack should only be used TO JACK/ELEVATE the car at the specified jacking points.
in doing so you will not require a special adapter for the jack itself.

you should not work on a car that is only supported/raised/elevated by a jack, that is what jackstands are for.

IF you decide to work on a car that is jacked up, you run the risk of the jack failing, thus damaging the car, OR WORSE, crushing anyone working under the car!!! some tire shops do work on cars this way, but they are wrong.

correct procedure is to chock the car, raise (jack) the car, then set the car down on jackstands.
Old 12-07-13, 04:12 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

the floor jack should only be used TO JACK/ELEVATE the car at the specified jacking points.
in doing so you will not require a special adapter for the jack itself.

you should not work on a car that is only supported/raised/elevated by a jack, that is what jackstands are for.

IF you decide to work on a car that is jacked up, you run the risk of the jack failing, thus damaging the car, OR WORSE, crushing anyone working under the car!!! some tire shops do work on cars this way, but they are wrong.

correct procedure is to chock the car, raise (jack) the car, then set the car down on jackstands.
Only thing I'll be doing is to change out my summer and winter wheels corner at a time. I probably would only raise the car enough to get the tire 1 inch off the ground. I'm not planning to crawl under the car. Similar principal as the tire jack that comes with the car.

Having said that is there any adapter you can buy so you can use the floor jack under the rocker panel? Where can I buy it and what is it called? I do have the jack stands too and need this also for that incase I do want to do something under the car. Any help on where to find this adapter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 12-07-13, 04:23 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Only thing I'll be doing is to change out my summer and winter wheels corner at a time. I probably would only raise the car enough to get the tire 1 inch off the ground. I'm not planning to crawl under the car. Similar principal as the tire jack that comes with the car.

Having said that is there any adapter you can buy so you can use the floor jack under the rocker panel? Where can I buy it and what is it called? I do have the jack stands too and need this also for that incase I do want to do something under the car. Any help on where to find this adapter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

its up to you if you want to take the risk. a lot of people do. best thing that can happen is nothing happens, worse thing is that the car falls down and damage the underside of your car (rotor, possibly suspension components, etc) and hopefully you arent under it.

i mean youre completely right, its the same as using the scissor jack (x 4.)

but i always gotta add that disclaimer in there so you know what could happen.

as for those adapters, i still cant find any. its almost to the point that i want to design and patent some myself.

one option is to modify your current jackstands but somehow cutting a slit in them large enough to accommodate the pinch/seam.
Old 12-07-13, 06:18 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

its up to you if you want to take the risk. a lot of people do. best thing that can happen is nothing happens, worse thing is that the car falls down and damage the underside of your car (rotor, possibly suspension components, etc) and hopefully you arent under it.

i mean youre completely right, its the same as using the scissor jack (x 4.)

but i always gotta add that disclaimer in there so you know what could happen.

as for those adapters, i still cant find any. its almost to the point that i want to design and patent some myself.

one option is to modify your current jackstands but somehow cutting a slit in them large enough to accommodate the pinch/seam.
What about these? Would they work with 3IS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Floor-Jack-Pinch-Weld-Saddle-Adapter-Rocker-Panels-4-1-2-x2-x1-Universal-/291033711631?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item43c2f6040f&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pinch-weld-unibody-jack-adapter-4-racing-jack-stands-NEW-Custom-LESSens-Damage-/161122565467?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2583a73d5b&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Volkswagen-BLACK-JACK-PAD-Adapter-Floor-Jack-pinch-weld-side-lift-jetta-bug-/231109903332?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35cf3943e4&vxp=mtr
Old 12-07-13, 06:42 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

those are all JACK adapters. you dont need a jack adapter, because, like stated, the recommended JACKing points are the rear dif and front cross member.

this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pinch-weld-unibody-jack-adapter-4-racing-jack-stands-NEW-Custom-LESSens-Damage-/161122565467?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2583a73d5b&vxp=mtris very similar to one that i tried to recreate, but mine would be more rectangular and narrow (only approx 2" wide" and in that manner you could place the block on the car/pinch and then place the jackstand under it. and the jack stand would straddle it and no movement.

also, you might know this but i must add it anyways, you cant use just ONE jackstand at a time, you have to use them in pairs. either 2 on the front end, 2 at the rear end, or jackstands at all 4 ends

also, i apologize if at any time in this process it seems i am talking down to you or anything of that sort. i am not.
i am not trying to talk down to you, i am simply trying to explain the process but because of the internets maybe my
words might come across mean/etc
Old 12-07-13, 07:03 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

sorry for the crude drawing, im not an artist

this is the idea ive been working with

i was using 14ga (cold rolled steel) square tubing.
i had a lot of other projects on my hands at the time and never finished it ><

Quick Reply: Where to jack up the rear?