Anyone have this on their 3IS?

Is it noticeable after installed?

How durable is it? Is it worth it?

How much, and where?
Old 10-07-13, 12:24 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also interested in hearing about it. Especially hearing from those who have installed one themselves. As it is, I need one for the back bumper at the very least...already put one scratch in there taking my hockey bag out.
Old 10-07-13, 12:48 PM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer had one installed on a car in the showroom and for me I'm very **** and detail oriented and yes you can clearly see the line across the hood where it ends I hate the 3M ones I have on the side of my car for the rocker panel and the trunk but salesman convinced me to leave them on for a bit...argument was its cheaper then having to pay for touch ups from scratches n crap....we'll see how long I leave them on lol
Old 10-07-13, 12:57 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

I personally wouldn't mind the little line where the plastic ends... It sure beats having a few rock chips and tiny rust spots in various spots along the hood
Old 10-07-13, 01:20 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

It all depends on what clearbra material you go with, and who the installer is.

Xpel Ultimate is an amazing material, way ahead of 3M clear bra, And its self healing as well AFAIK.

A quality Installer will make the largest difference.

^Xpel Ultimate as installed by Glistening Perfection, in Aliso Viejo,CA.

Pricing will vary GREATLY on installer.
Old 10-07-13, 01:36 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the 3M clear bra done on my IS about a week after getting it, my car is now 2.5 months old and the clear bra has held up very well. I only did the front bumper. The only issue I would say is that around some of the corners you can see where the dirty sits in clear bra film.

Im sure I can probably use a fine tooth brush and clean it out, but I have not had the chance.

If your in the South Florida area, I highly recommend going to The Sign Savers. They have a very clean shop, customer service and prices are the best.
Old 10-07-13, 01:59 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stitch626
The dealer had one installed on a car in the showroom and for me I'm very **** and detail oriented and yes you can clearly see the line across the hood where it ends I hate the 3M ones I have on the side of my car for the rocker panel and the trunk but salesman convinced me to leave them on for a bit...argument was its cheaper then having to pay for touch ups from scratches n crap....we'll see how long I leave them on lol
The 3m one you're talking about on the side is where the bottom rear door is right?

Kinda in a triangular shaped towrards the bottom, and a long string on the panel?
Old 10-07-13, 02:03 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
I had the 3M clear bra done on my IS about a week after getting it, my car is now 2.5 months old and the clear bra has held up very well. I only did the front bumper. The only issue I would say is that around some of the corners you can see where the dirty sits in clear bra film.

Im sure I can probably use a fine tooth brush and clean it out, but I have not had the chance.

If your in the South Florida area, I highly recommend going to The Sign Savers. They have a very clean shop, customer service and prices are the best.
That is typically due to the pre-cut sheets most shops use.

most people get this:

Moe turns them into this:

NOTE: I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH Glistening Perfection. I'm just a big fan.
Old 10-07-13, 02:08 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^ so basically it needs to be stretched to make the 3m material go all the way to the edges?
Old 10-07-13, 02:09 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long does the clear bra last?

Do they Age well? I assume there will be discoloration due to the sun.

And last, do they have to be taken off professionally?
Old 10-07-13, 02:48 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
^^^ so basically it needs to be stretched to make the 3m material go all the way to the edges?
The material is stretchable, to a certain extent. In the images above the old clear bra had to be removed, and new material installed.

A common problem is that some pre-cut sheets are actually smaller than they should be, and so you get the visible lines everyone hates.

Originally Posted by aTeAse
How long does the clear bra last?

Do they Age well? I assume there will be discoloration due to the sun.

And last, do they have to be taken off professionally?
Clear Bra can last several years. Many installers guarantee their work for several years, if you go take the vehicle in at certain intervals for them to inspect/renew their work.

Longetivity depends on the maker of the clear bra, and the installation process.

Again, it depends on the maker of the clear bra. 3M tape does naturally come a bit "yellower" than the higher end brands, but not everyone can spend the same amount. 3M did change their formula, and their new clear bra is supposed to be less prone to yellowing. All clear bras WILL eventually yellow out, but you are usually talking years down the road.

Yes, clear bra does need to be removed professionally, and even then, the really old clear bra CAN remove some paint with it. Ive had the displeasure of removing some clear bra off one of our 996 GT3 race cars at my old job, and removed a few circles of paint....good thing it was getting a full wrap job
Old 10-07-13, 02:57 PM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aTeAse
The 3m one you're talking about on the side is where the bottom rear door is right?

Kinda in a triangular shaped towrards the bottom, and a long string on the panel?
yup thats the one im talking about!
Old 10-07-13, 04:54 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well after only 2500 miles and 8 rock chips Ive decided to get the 3M clear bra on Wednesday. 650$ for part of hood, fenders, mirrors, and bumper
Old 10-07-13, 05:42 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by John510
Well after only 2500 miles and 8 rock chips Ive decided to get the 3M clear bra on Wednesday. 650$ for part of hood, fenders, mirrors, and bumper
Where are you getting the clear bra? I'm only at 1300 miles but have way more rock chips than you so now I'm considering that option as well. Post pictures please when you have it.
Old 10-07-13, 06:42 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
Where are you getting the clear bra? I'm only at 1300 miles but have way more rock chips than you so now I'm considering that option as well. Post pictures please when you have it.
Same shop that did my JL sub/amp setup. Kar Tunz in Pleasanton. They do a lot of the sports players rides. And yes Lexus has some seriously crappy soft paint that chips way too easily.

Quick Reply: 3m Clear Bra