IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clunk feeling upon acceleration

Old 11-10-13, 10:17 AM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed a light clunk lately upon accelerating from a stop or at low speeds.

I was thinking it has something to do with the transmission?(first gear?)
Old 11-10-13, 01:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

I've tested today with a passenger. Issue is not apparent when making right turns. Limited to only left turns.

Originally Posted by aTeAse
I've noticed a light clunk lately upon accelerating from a stop or at low speeds.

I was thinking it has something to do with the transmission?(first gear?)
I believe you have a 350. Do you have AWD? So far the issue in question experienced and reproduced by a few of us and Lexus has to do with the 250 AWD and doesn't feel like it's the tranny but more the front wheel driveshaft or related linkages. The slight clunk or thump is felt through the floorpan.
Old 11-10-13, 01:06 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I've tested today with a passenger. Issue is not apparent when making right turns. Limited to only left turns.

I believe you have a 350. Do you have AWD? So far the issue in question experienced and reproduced by a few of us and Lexus has to do with the 250 AWD and doesn't feel like it's the tranny but more the front wheel driveshaft or related linkages.
I have a 350 RWD.

Interesting, you may be right. Hopefully the dealer can fix it for you guys.

I hope this isn't related to the RWD though, i'll be on alert.
Old 11-11-13, 04:49 AM
Fsportlex
Driver

I think it's the linkage because when I'm reversing parallel parking and turn wheel all the way to the left and back in then hit the brake the clunk happens and it's pretty loud ....I think it may be the tie rods or something
In that areA... I. Can reproduce the sound 100% of the time when parking and when taking a. Left turn off a dead stop but it does happen consistently it's actually really annoying I've called corporate and reported the problem as well
Old 11-25-13, 05:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Issue reported and process

So I got it checked out today at the dealer. The service tech took it for a test drive while I was in the passenger side and he was able to reproduce it.

They kept the car all day and after several external tests and inspections, they are pretty confident it is with the AWD transfer case, which is on the left side of the vehicle (which can explain why we don't feel it making right turns). However, before any dismantling as they are uncertain, they opened a Technical Assistance case with Toyota Canada Inc (Corporate) to report the issue and have them investigate/test further. The reporting process is to collect as many of these similar issues, get the senior technicians/engineers assigned, and ultimately come up with a TSB (or in more serious cases, a recall).

Here's the process in detail: http://media.toyota.ca/pr/tci/en/doc...on_EDER_EN.pdf

If you feel the clunk, please report the issue since the more cases opened, the more visible, and hence the more quickly to a resolution.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-25-13 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-11-14, 04:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

UPDATE: The clunk has stopped. In fact, I am unable to reproduce it at all. Over the winter, I never noticed it happen once. I tried several times this week taking off from a stop, rolling stop, part, half throttle, full throttle, etc, while turning left, and no clunk. Smooth...

Could somehow the front differential, transfer case, or front driveshaft get fully lubed (and metal clunk stopped) thanks to slippery winter surfaces forcing full 50-50 torque split in those conditions? Sounds far fetched but it's all I can think of as to how a clunk noise also felt through the floor pan was present brand new in the Fall months and disappeared a few thousand KMs later into the Winter months...
Old 09-05-14, 01:53 PM
markb3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having this issue on a 350 AWD. only on left turns from a dead stop. Corrado, did it stop altogether? I got my car in October, did not notice it all winter until about May. It has been consistent since. What should I do?
Old 12-03-14, 10:12 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I noticed the same issue with moderate to hard left turns on my IS350 AWD but I cannot reproduce it consistently. When I could reproduce it, I noticed it was always at a left turn in an intersection where a quick sharp turn was required to avoid oncoming traffic.

Since this winter began though (and my IS350 is only 3 months old), I have not heard it once. With icy/snow covered conditions in Edmonton now, I'm sure the AWD system kicks in more aggressively to improve traction so perhaps it's a transfer case issue as @corradoMR2 suggests?

Any update for those who have reported this in the US?
Old 12-04-14, 06:55 PM
markb3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a is350 AWD and I notice this ONLY on left turns as well, when applying medium to high aggressive acceleration. I have noticed this for a couple of months now and never did anything about it... Also, my car now has 20,000 km on it.
Old 01-23-15, 10:48 PM
computerwi
Advanced

After 4000 km and 4 months, I can still feel the clunk on left turns under moderate acceleration. Over the past couple months, it was more difficult or less noticeable in snowy conditions because one avoids even moderate throttle inputs. We had some melting recently and it's back again with the firmer inputs. Anyone else?
Old 05-25-15, 08:05 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Now that it's back to dry pavement, I can readily reproduce this every left turn from a dead stop with moderate throttle input. It's super easy to reproduce in Sport mode. Anyone above get the clunking to stop? I've been going easy on the left turns to avoid causing any damage..

corradomr2: Did you ever check back with the dealer to see when became of the issue after reporting to corporate?
Old 05-26-15, 07:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by computerwi
Now that it's back to dry pavement, I can readily reproduce this every left turn from a dead stop with moderate throttle input. It's super easy to reproduce in Sport mode. Anyone above get the clunking to stop? I've been going easy on the left turns to avoid causing any damage..

corradomr2: Did you ever check back with the dealer to see when became of the issue after reporting to corporate?

I haven't noticed the clunk in over a year since I last updated this thread. I have 18k km now and my thought is the clunk may have been part of the break-in period of the transfer case.

I'll perform some WOT left-turn launches and see if I hear it, then take further action with my dealer.