IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do Oil Catch Cans Actually Work? - Engineering Explained

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 05:33 PM
Finelexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Viru
Got any pics of how you connected the factory PCV hoses to the catch can hoses? I'm trying to figure out the best way of doing that part.

I used a 3/8” to 3/8” brass hose connector, you can get them at any hardware store. They also have plastic ones. I then put a hose clamp at the end on both sides like the ones at the end of the hose before it goes into the catch can. There is a very good long post on this site that shows in detail how to install a catch can, do a search and it will come up.

Last edited by Finelexus; 04-29-19 at 05:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zynthe (04-30-19)
Old 04-29-19, 05:40 PM
Finelexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zynthe
Where is the best place to buy the hoses??? I have a catch can from a buddy brand new still but he didnt give me any hoses.
I purchase the hoses at Auto Zone, they sell fuel line hose by the foot, I think I paid $1.99 per foot. I got 3/8” inside diameter, but I swapped out my hose connectors that came with the catch can to 3/8” from 1/2” to fit 3/8” hose. The engine has a 3/8” PVC hose so I kept the new hoses 3/8”.
Zynthe (04-30-19)
Old 04-29-19, 05:43 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Zynthe
Where is the best place to buy the hoses??? I have a catch can from a buddy brand new still but he didnt give me any hoses.
I went to my local hardware store and picked up some rubber fuel hose for my install. if it can withstand constant gasoline through them a little oil won't be a problem, it's also pretty cheap too
Zynthe (04-30-19)
Old 05-16-19, 06:39 PM
svnsales
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks so much for the tips Finelexus, I just installed a setup mostly similar yours! The main difference is that I did away with the factory PCV hose altogether:

1. Disconnect and remove factory PCV hose
2. Mount catch can to coolant reservoir bolt using a corner brace
3. Connect heat-resistant vinyl tubing from PCV outlet to catch can inlet, and catch can outlet to PCV inlet
4. Done!

Went with clear hoses so I could observe the catch can effectiveness at a glance, and have a visual wear indicator for the hoses. As you can see, there's a significant difference in just 6 days of use! There is oil on the dipstick, too, so I'll check out the contents of the can next time I get gas.

Hoses running directly to PCV outlet/inlet - existing PCV hose can be removed.

Mounted using a 1.5" corner brace under the coolant reservoir bolt. Needed to bore out this hole a little to fit the 10mm bolt, but it's quite sturdy. I tested with some enthusiastic driving

Catch can suspended in one of the few open spaces in this engine bay. Enough room to reach around and unscrew the can for emptying out.
Old 05-17-19, 08:04 PM
Finelexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by svnsales
Thanks so much for the tips Finelexus, I just installed a setup mostly similar yours! The main difference is that I did away with the factory PCV hose altogether:

1. Disconnect and remove factory PCV hose
2. Mount catch can to coolant reservoir bolt using a corner brace
3. Connect heat-resistant vinyl tubing from PCV outlet to catch can inlet, and catch can outlet to PCV inlet
4. Done!

Went with clear hoses so I could observe the catch can effectiveness at a glance, and have a visual wear indicator for the hoses. As you can see, there's a significant difference in just 6 days of use! There is oil on the dipstick, too, so I'll check out the contents of the can next time I get gas.

Hoses running directly to PCV outlet/inlet - existing PCV hose can be removed.

Mounted using a 1.5" corner brace under the coolant reservoir bolt. Needed to bore out this hole a little to fit the 10mm bolt, but it's quite sturdy. I tested with some enthusiastic driving

Catch can suspended in one of the few open spaces in this engine bay. Enough room to reach around and unscrew the can for emptying out.

Good idea to use clear hoses.

I also thought about running the hose all the way to the other end of the PVC hose and deleting it, but I thought I had to take the intake manifold off. I followed the hose and it was down behind the manifold. How did you do it?
Old 05-19-19, 10:33 PM
svnsales
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Finelexus
Good idea to use clear hoses.

I also thought about running the hose all the way to the other end of the PVC hose and deleting it, but I thought I had to take the intake manifold off. I followed the hose and it was down behind the manifold. How did you do it?
You are correct that the hose goes behind the manifold, and it's certainly a tight squeeze, but it is possible to slip it onto the inlet nipple if you have skinny arms! A clamp is not necessary for a sturdy hold there, which helps. What helped me a lot was getting the old hose out the area first, then sitting the new hose into its 'clips' along the back of the manifold, which would aim it squarely where it needs to go.

Also, I pulled the can off yesterday while getting gas, and there was a small puddle of sludge at the bottom! Pretty exciting to see this easy mod being so effective already.
Old 05-28-19, 01:41 AM
CIGLexus
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As a person who has spent years scraping heads and valves of oil crust, I do not want any oil vapors in my intake. But that is a long story. I come from a Toyota community where we are looking for peak performance from our engines.

One our first mods in our community is an oil catch can. But in the crazy engine bay that is the IS, it's hard to make it practical for the average person trying to get to work.

I am planning my own sysem but I have to keep it simple. Most people do not buy a Lexus to start modding it right away LOL.
Old 06-23-19, 06:13 AM
Finelexus
Driver School Candidate

Update.
after installing the catch can and driving 3,000 miles and empty it, below is what I drained out. I’m glad that stuff is not going into my intake and valves. Since the install I’ve had no check engine lights and the car is running smooth. The thing is doing it’s job and I’m glad I installed it.