Misfire Recall/TSB Continuing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 04:40 PM
jonnyz2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire Recall/TSB Continuing Issue

Hi Everyone,

I've had a recurring problem with cylinder 3 misfires on my car. Shortly after it developed initially Lexus chose to apply the TSB/recall for the engine misfiring to my car at 43K miles. They partially rebuilt the engine with what I believe were new rings and pistons.

The problem then recurred at 44K, same cylinder. Lexus claimed it was the spark plugs being fouled and they were replaced then. I was very unhappy the plugs were not replaced with the rebuild as I believe they would have been fouled as a result of the engine being mis-manufactured. I was stuck with the costs of the replacement when, in my opinion, it should have already been done as part of the tsb/recall. If they had done it then, the additional labor would have been virtually nill. BTW, they checked the coil at that time and it was NOT the cause of the misfire.

Now the car is just past 45.5K and again the #3 cylinder is misfiring. At this point, I can't help but wonder whether the engine was repaired properly the first time.

I've seen other posts on this topic and wonder if anyone has suggestions for getting both the local dealership and Lexus corporate to do the right thing and cover the full costs of whatever fix is needed at this point.

I need advice on this! Thanks!

Last edited by jonnyz2; 09-14-18 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-13-18, 04:45 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

They probably didn't do the plugs, because it's not part of the TSB. As for the plugs don't need to be changed till 60k.

If your handy with tools pull spark plug three, and move it to cylinder 5, or 1. See if the miss fire changes to cylinder. Then you'll know it's the plug. Vice versa for the coil packs.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 09-13-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-14-18, 07:13 AM
jonnyz2
Driver School Candidate

Just to clarify, the plugs were replaced at 44k and the coils were checked at the same time (now edited above). I agree the plugs should not have required replacement at that time if the engine had been operating normally.

Just about 1.5K later, the same cylinder is misfiring again. While it is possible that it is simply coincidence that the same cylinder continues to have misfiring issues, that's pretty unlikely.

One of the things that has occurred to me is cylinder three's ring or piston could have been damaged during the rebuild such that unusual levels of oil are passing the ring and fouling the plug. I'm also wondering if the rebuild could have failed in some other way.
Old 09-14-18, 09:22 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyz2
Just to clarify, the plugs were replaced at 44k and the coils were checked at the same time (now edited above). I agree the plugs should not have required replacement at that time if the engine had been operating normally.

Just about 1.5K later, the same cylinder is misfiring again. While it is possible that it is simply coincidence that the same cylinder continues to have misfiring issues, that's pretty unlikely.

One of the things that has occurred to me is cylinder three's ring or piston could have been damaged during the rebuild such that unusual levels of oil are passing the ring and fouling the plug. I'm also wondering if the rebuild could have failed in some other way.
Again pull spark plug 3 out to check to see if it has been fouled, or not. Another possibility is you have an issue with the fuel injector. Measure resistance on all the injectors on bank 1 cyl 1,3,5 see if they're consistent.
Old 09-14-18, 11:35 AM
jonnyz2
Driver School Candidate

I do appreciate the good suggestions for diagnosing the problem. I am frustrated thought because I don't think I should be dealing with this, especially given minimal additional mileage since both repairs.

I will check the plugs, coils, and injectors. Assuming there is not suddenly a new coil problem or a new injector problem on that cylinder that leaves a plug which would have become fouled after 1.5K or some other issue.

One of the key reasons for my post was ALSO to gather ideas for how to best deal with Lexus in the event it appears to be the same problem or related to the same problem as before. If anyone has suggestions for getting Lexus to "step up" I would appreciate those as well.
Old 05-23-19, 07:07 AM
legends92
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyz2
Hi Everyone,

I've had a recurring problem with cylinder 3 misfires on my car. Shortly after it developed initially Lexus chose to apply the TSB/recall for the engine misfiring to my car at 43K miles. They partially rebuilt the engine with what I believe were new rings and pistons.

The problem then recurred at 44K, same cylinder. Lexus claimed it was the spark plugs being fouled and they were replaced then. I was very unhappy the plugs were not replaced with the rebuild as I believe they would have been fouled as a result of the engine being mis-manufactured. I was stuck with the costs of the replacement when, in my opinion, it should have already been done as part of the tsb/recall. If they had done it then, the additional labor would have been virtually nill. BTW, they checked the coil at that time and it was NOT the cause of the misfire.

Now the car is just past 45.5K and again the #3 cylinder is misfiring. At this point, I can't help but wonder whether the engine was repaired properly the first time.

I've seen other posts on this topic and wonder if anyone has suggestions for getting both the local dealership and Lexus corporate to do the right thing and cover the full costs of whatever fix is needed at this point.

I need advice on this! Thanks!
Do you by chance still have the TSB number? Thanks.
Old 05-23-19, 08:05 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

OP has 3 posts from 9mo ago. Not likely you'll get a reply any time soon. Any TSB would be void by now anyways.

What problem are you experiencing?
Old 05-23-19, 08:17 AM
legends92
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
OP has 3 posts from 9mo ago. Not likely you'll get a reply any time soon. Any TSB would be void by now anyways.

What problem are you experiencing?
2007 Lexus IS250. 175K+ miles. Check engine line came on with VSC disabled message. Happened a month ago also and local mechanic stated a misfire on one cylinder. He gave me a TSB number, but I lost it. Trying to get a hold him. I have no idea if Lexus would honor it so many years later. Doesn't hurt trying.
Old 05-23-19, 08:51 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

It's a very good chance the intake valves need cleaned, plugs replaced and then see where it's at. Keep in mind that a misfire code can be for many reasons, not just ignition related.

Plugs get fouled, coil packs fail, couple these on an engine with carbon buildup and you can fix one but the problem returns until all 3 are addressed. In short you need more details.

Get the P030X code
Inspect plugs / replace

Move suspect coil pack to different cylinder
Perform compression test.

Doing the above allows you to gather enough info to decide what the real problem is which still does not rule out the fuel injectors.

Make sense?
Old 05-23-19, 08:53 AM
legends92
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
It's a very good chance the intake valves need cleaned, plugs replaced and then see where it's at. Keep in mind that a misfire code can be for many reasons, not just ignition related.

Plugs get fouled, coil packs fail, couple these on an engine with carbon buildup and you can fix one but the problem returns until all 3 are addressed. In short you need more details.

Get the P030X code
Inspect plugs / replace

Move suspect coil pack to different cylinder
Perform compression test.

Doing the above allows you to gather enough info to decide what the real problem is which still does not rule out the fuel injectors.

Make sense?
Totally. Let me take it back to the mechanic and have him inspect the plugs first. Thanks.