IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to replace MAF sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 05:13 PM
SparksLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace MAF sensor?

I'm guessing that the reason I can't find a guide is because it's painfully simple? Do I just unplug screws and the wiring and then do the reverse, then just reset the ECU?
Old 11-14-17, 08:15 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Make sure you don't touch it with your grubby hands. The element is very sensitive. And yes it basically just removing and putting a new one in. I would suggest you don't use an after market but the OEM replacement. I think it's DENSO that makes it. You can get a better price from Rockauto than you would from Lexus.
Old 11-14-17, 03:24 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Make sure you don't touch it with your grubby hands. The element is very sensitive. And yes it basically just removing and putting a new one in. I would suggest you don't use an after market but the OEM replacement. I think it's DENSO that makes it. You can get a better price from Rockauto than you would from Lexus.
Absolutely get an OEM MAF sensor. Either pull one from a junk yard, or get a new one from the dealer.
Old 12-19-17, 10:22 AM
searchdev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SparksLex
I'm guessing that the reason I can't find a guide is because it's painfully simple? Do I just unplug screws and the wiring and then do the reverse, then just reset the ECU?
You may want to try cleaning it first. My car has 160,000 miles and started to sputter before the dash became a Christmas tree. We cleaned it with intake cleaner. The sensor was black when we started and red when we finished. Reinstalled it and cleared the code. Been running for two weeks without issue. Smooth idle, more power and the fuel economy has increased.

If it is gone then replacement is easy but within 10 minutes you will know if a cleaning will work. My 2 cents.
Old 12-19-17, 01:02 PM
Ericspyder
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally, when we clean the MAF, should we reset by unplug the battery cable? or we don't need to do anything after clean?
I used to have a Toyota Mr2 spyder. I cleaned MAF every 5000 miles, and reset by unplug battery cable for a minute to reset the ECU.
Do we need to do the same with ISx50?
Thanks,
Eric
Old 12-19-17, 07:58 PM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, you just need to unscrew the MAF, unclip it, and replace it.

Use gloves and spray MAF cleaner lavishly. Make sure the MAF is pointed down so that any debris can flow out.

For me, any electrical work, I always unplug the battery. It is typical for the car to start-up and die the first time when changing components.
Old 12-19-17, 09:40 PM
Ericspyder
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knyg
Yes, you just need to unscrew the MAF, unclip it, and replace it.

Use gloves and spray MAF cleaner lavishly. Make sure the MAF is pointed down so that any debris can flow out.

For me, any electrical work, I always unplug the battery. It is typical for the car to start-up and die the first time when changing components.
If we disconnect the battery, do we have to reprogram the GPS, radio, seat memory? Thanks.
My mistake. We have to reprogram them. My question is do we have other way to reset ECU without disconnect the battery?
Thanks,

Last edited by Ericspyder; 12-20-17 at 12:27 PM.