IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Winter storage

Old 11-09-17, 10:21 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter storage

Did a search, didn't see anything recent in this section.

Bought our '13 IS250C this summer, not driving it in the winter with RWD and those Michelin Pilots. Wife will drive the old Highlander instead. I've read all the sites I care to about generic vehicle storage, wondering if there is anything specific to the IS. This will be going into a local storage unit, so out of the weather. I've ordered a cover for it on Amazon. There's no power in the unit so I was planning to remove the battery and take it home to go on a maintainer. I have a spare battery from another vehicle, so I was thinking about hooking up a simple extension to the battery connection, then swapping the batteries about once a month, just to keep the various memories intact for the Spring. I don't care about the clock or radio presets (don't actually have any set), I just don't want the hassle of re-calibrating things like the windows, not sure if the convertible top needs it.

Will put dryer sheets in the interior, moth ***** on the floor of the unit. Remove the air filter. Stuff the intake and exhaust with steel wool. Stabilizer in the full gas tank. Tires at maximum pressure. Car is already clean and freshly waxed.

Windows down a little? Anything else I should think about? Thanks.
Old 11-09-17, 10:44 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,476 Likes on 1,231 Posts

JM2C but if a battery is fully charged, I would would not trickle it all winter. Even the best most modern desulfide type maintenance chargers induce sulfate. I'm saying charge it when it needs it and leave it be.

FWIW: I had Techstream connected to the car this past weekend and saw the power grid shutdown routine for the various ECU's on board.
9 days
14 days
30 days
Over the course of time it begins shutting down various power hubs over time to conserve battery life.... I didn't delve into which ones tho.

When I store my motorcycle I shove dryer sheets in suspect areas where rodents may want to pack in. It seems to deter them. That said I would mothball the perimeter and place dehumidifiers throughout. And if the cover is not breathable, I would leave it off.

Do not block the exhaust as condensation will build up. Tjat said steel wool should breath I guess?
Old 11-09-17, 11:08 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The battery maintainer I have is supposed to eliminate sulfating. I put it on a timer to run for about an hour a day.

Interesting, I didn't know my Techstream would tell me that. I'll stuff some dryer sheets under the hood too. The cover is supposed to be breathable, it's not a weatherproof cover, mostly just for dust.

Blocking the exhaust with steel wool was to keep critters out.