RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Winter storage - need your input

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-16, 04:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Winter storage - need your input

What are the best practices regarding winter storage indoors? Would be only for two months.
Old 02-03-16, 07:58 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's indoors just get a car cover and disconnect the battery. Or if you don't want to relearn the windows and radio stations put a battery charger with low amps to keep the battery from draining every 2 weeks for an hour.
Old 02-03-16, 08:48 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

For only 2 months no need to do anything, other than charging your battery (I installed a pigtail, for ease of doing that). But I'd do it weekly, since this car is hard on batteries. And make sure to keep your tires at 36 psi (or higher, if unattended), so they don't develop a flat spot. Finally, fill up your tank, to avoid extra condensation. In high humidity areas it could be better to leave it almost empty due to ethanol absorbing moisture and getting saturated, leaving water at the bottom of the tank, with nasty consequences. But for just 2 months, no issues wherever you live. Good luck.
Old 02-03-16, 09:38 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

The reason i'm saying to cover the car is so you don't wipe the dust around scratching the clearcoat.
Old 02-03-16, 10:09 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not put a car cover on your car. It will likely do more harm than good and scratch your clear coat around the edges (If its the "universal" fit kind it will likely scratch other panels as well). Let the car get dirty in the garage and use a proper wash method in a few months when you are ready to drive it again. Ive left my RCF sitting for two weeks in my garage in mostly below freezing conditions and i had no issues starting her right up.
Old 02-04-16, 02:08 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
Do not put a car cover on your car. It will likely do more harm than good and scratch your clear coat around the edges (If its the "universal" fit kind it will likely scratch other panels as well). Let the car get dirty in the garage and use a proper wash method in a few months when you are ready to drive it again. Ive left my RCF sitting for two weeks in my garage in mostly below freezing conditions and i had no issues starting her right up.
I have 5 cars in storage and they all look brand new some being 8+ years and not a scratch on any. That's what a car cover is for.. And if it's indoors please explain how it will scratch the car if there is no movement or wind? Also I would recommend a genuine Lexus car cover. Also the car has to be clean before covering it up or if there is dirt under the cover it will get scratched.
Old 02-04-16, 11:12 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks for the responses guys.

Takeaways:
Tire psi >36 to prevent flat spots
Car cover (in my case this is a must to help avoid scratches walking around the car as it's a bit tight)
Battery health

Q1: As for maintaining battery health/charge, would starting the car weekly and running it for a few minutes be ok as an alternative to the trickle charge? Any other benefits (fuel lines, engine, etc) or is this more harm than good?

Q2: I have nitrogen in my tires and psi is 35-36 depending on the tire. Can I just add 2-3 psi of air? Thanks!
Old 02-04-16, 12:57 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks for the responses guys.

Takeaways:
Tire psi >36 to prevent flat spots
Car cover (in my case this is a must to help avoid scratches walking around the car as it's a bit tight)
Battery health

Q1: As for maintaining battery health/charge, would starting the car weekly and running it for a few minutes be ok as an alternative to the trickle charge? Any other benefits (fuel lines, engine, etc) or is this more harm than good?

Q2: I have nitrogen in my tires and psi is 35-36 depending on the tire. Can I just add 2-3 psi of air? Thanks!
2 months of sitting will not give your tires any flat spots and yes starting it once a week and letting it run for 10-20 min will be fine.
Old 02-04-16, 01:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^Thanks isfdude

Got the cover.

Old 02-04-16, 02:39 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

That looks sweet.
Old 02-04-16, 08:24 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed. The cover looks nice -- not too tight while the material appears to be soft and so less likely to get marring due to putting it on or taking it off.
Old 02-04-16, 09:55 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
As for maintaining battery health/charge, would starting the car weekly and running it for a few minutes be ok as an alternative to the trickle charge?
NEVER do that man. If you're not going to drive at least 10 miles (15 in winter), never start the car to charge the battery, or anything else. First of all, you wouldn't charge your battery by just idling the engine for 10 minutes. And second of all, you'd never get the drivetrain hot enough to remove all condensation by idling even longer than that, especially in winter. That leftover moisture can turn into acid inside the engine, and rust lots of crap everywhere else. Your engine oil has additives to neutralize acid, but you can quickly deplete it with that practice. Bottom line is leave charging the battery for the smart battery chargers; that's why they were invented. I personally don't like to leave them connected, but a lot of people do. Good luck.
Old 02-04-16, 10:57 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
NEVER do that man. If you're not going to drive at least 10 miles (15 in winter), never start the car to charge the battery, or anything else. First of all, you wouldn't charge your battery by just idling the engine for 10 minutes. And second of all, you'd never get the drivetrain hot enough to remove all condensation by idling even longer than that, especially in winter. That leftover moisture can turn into acid inside the engine, and rust lots of crap everywhere else. Your engine oil has additives to neutralize acid, but you can quickly deplete it with that practice. Bottom line is leave charging the battery for the smart battery chargers; that's why they were invented. I personally don't like to leave them connected, but a lot of people do. Good luck.
I get what you are saying but it's an indoor garage meaning it's climate controlled. That's why letting it run for 10-20 min would be ok.
Old 02-06-16, 09:54 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

isfdude has a valid point since it's only for two months in an indoor garage.

However, I'll likely take the overly-cautious route ELP_JC suggests and not start the car since it's what I'm reading online from reputable car sources too though this is for longer term storage 4-6 months minimum.

I also read about adding a fuel stabilizer? What about anything to add in the engine oil which I believe is not freshly changed (it's at 4k miles)?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-16, 10:00 AM
stoomac
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You could think of this type of storage just like everyone store's a boat (or for people that store cars). My recommendation would be to throw a bottle of Stabil in the gas tank and put it on a trickle charger - I use the battery tender jr on my boat and jeep and leave it plugged in - it manages the battery automatically - no need to monitor. You can use this method for two months or two years - though for extended storage in anywhere there is moisture I would probably also loosen the plugs and put a finger of grease on the threads.

Quick Reply: Winter storage - need your input