IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Make duplicate key fob for 2006 IS350.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 08:08 PM
Ericspyder
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Make duplicate key fob for 2006 IS350.

Hi guys,

I'm going to buy a used 2006 IS350. But the owner had only one key fob. What do you think how much it's going to cost me to make a second one at the dealer?
Or do you know somewhere else they can do that with cheaper?
very appreciated for your help.

Eric
Old 11-08-17, 05:36 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericspyder
Hi guys,

I'm going to buy a used 2006 IS350. But the owner had only one key fob. What do you think how much it's going to cost me to make a second one at the dealer?
Or do you know somewhere else they can do that with cheaper?
very appreciated for your help.

Eric
Gonna cost you around $400-$500 bucks at the dealer. You can get fobs off of ebay, but getting them programmed to your car is not straight forward at all.

Read....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-2011-is.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-07-is250.html

Have fun
Old 11-08-17, 06:13 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Dealer will be $200+. Local locksmith is your best bet, a used Key FOB and key cutting and programming, maybe $200 tops. Good luck. now I know what they do with extra sets of Key Fobs when you buy a used car, they only give you 1 set and they sell the other one. Sucks.

Last edited by mandyfig; 11-10-17 at 05:38 AM.
Old 11-08-17, 10:05 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or, you could buy the Techstream software and USB cable and a replacement fob off of eBay and do it yourself. I had to do this when one of the fobs quit working on my '11 Land Cruiser. I already had the software and cable, so I bought a new OEM fob from McGeorge Toyota (https://parts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/), it was a little over $100. The Techstream software has this really nifty "wizard" that you follow to add another fob to the car, but you must have at least one working fob. It worked very well, saved me quite a bit of money. The Techstream software I have also works fine on our '13 IS250C, so I'm able to make customization changes to the car without having to go to the dealer.
Old 11-08-17, 10:10 AM
Ericspyder
Pit Crew

Thank you so much for the info. Those are very helpful for me. Very appreciated.
BTW, I have 2 Lexus, 1 is 2017 and 2006, what's version of Techstream should I buy to compatible work with 2 of them?
Thanks again,
Eric
Old 11-08-17, 10:50 AM
Ericspyder
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KLF
Or, you could buy the Techstream software and USB cable and a replacement fob off of eBay and do it yourself. I had to do this when one of the fobs quit working on my '11 Land Cruiser. I already had the software and cable, so I bought a new OEM fob from McGeorge Toyota (https://parts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/), it was a little over $100. The Techstream software has this really nifty "wizard" that you follow to add another fob to the car, but you must have at least one working fob. It worked very well, saved me quite a bit of money. The Techstream software I have also works fine on our '13 IS250C, so I'm able to make customization changes to the car without having to go to the dealer.
Hi KLF,
I just check on McGeorge Toyota Parts, they aren't listing Lexus key fob. What kind of key fob did you buy from this Toyota dealer for your Lexus? Thanks
Old 11-09-17, 10:26 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

You can find aftermarket or used fobs on eBay, that made me nervous about compatibility and possibly getting stranded so I bought a new OEM one from Toyota. Unfortunately McGeorge only sells Toyota parts, you'll need to go to a Lexus dealer for a new OEM one.

This is the cable & software I bought:
Amazon Amazon
but there are cheaper ones out there now.
Old 11-09-17, 10:33 AM
Ericspyder
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KLF
You can find aftermarket or used fobs on eBay, that made me nervous about compatibility and possibly getting stranded so I bought a new OEM one from Toyota. Unfortunately McGeorge only sells Toyota parts, you'll need to go to a Lexus dealer for a new OEM one.

This is the cable & software I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Hain-Diagnost...rds=techstream but there are cheaper ones out there now.
Thank you KLF for the reply, but what's Toyota model of car fob did you buy? Avalon? Camry? or it doesn't matter? How about the hardware key? have it made in any locksmith?
Thanks again,
Eric
Old 11-09-17, 10:57 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

The fob I bought was specific for my 2011 Land Cruiser, it won't work for an IS, they are vehicle specific. For one thing, my Cruiser doesn't have a separate unlock for the trunk so there is no button on the fob to unlock the trunk. The newest (2018) Cruisers (and prior years LX570s) have a power tailgate, so they have a separate button for that. I did some searching and it looks like the "brain" part of your key is P/N 89904-30270.

It just occurred to me that you might not have Push button start? Getting a key cut will be the hardest part, you could call around to locksmiths but I believe only the dealers have access to the machines that can do this. Bummer.
Old 11-09-17, 12:27 PM
Ericspyder
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KLF
The fob I bought was specific for my 2011 Land Cruiser, it won't work for an IS, they are vehicle specific. For one thing, my Cruiser doesn't have a separate unlock for the trunk so there is no button on the fob to unlock the trunk. The newest (2018) Cruisers (and prior years LX570s) have a power tailgate, so they have a separate button for that. I did some searching and it looks like the "brain" part of your key is P/N 89904-30270.

It just occurred to me that you might not have Push button start? Getting a key cut will be the hardest part, you could call around to locksmiths but I believe only the dealers have access to the machines that can do this. Bummer.
Thank you LKF.
Old 11-09-17, 12:51 PM
TopNotchIN
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2006 IS250 AWD and received only one key when I purchased the vehicle. I knew I should have more than one key for obvious reasons. There was also a concern that the previous owner still had a functioning key. The car was purchased somewhat locally to me. My solution was to purchase Techstream as mentioned above. I also bought a new key fob and backup key. The fob was purchased from Bell Lexus on eBay for about $100. I was able to take pictures of my key and had an eBay seller make a copy for me. It works just as well as an original OEM Lexus key and only cost $14. I programmed the key fob through Techstream and deleted any previous key fobs. That way I knew I was the only one who had working keys for my vehicle. My local dealership (Lexus of Mishawaka) quoted me $269 for a new key fob, new key and programming. To find out what fob you will need look at the back of the fob. Find the "FCC ID" alphanumeric code. You will need a key fob with the same FCC ID number. Use your physical key and pry open the key fob. There is a code on the circuit board. I believe it is 3 digits. You need to match this with the new fob as well.

Last edited by TopNotchIN; 11-09-17 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 12:54 PM
Ericspyder
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TopNotchIN
I have a 2006 IS250 AWD and received only one key when I purchased the vehicle. I knew I should have more than one key for obvious reasons. There was also a concern that the previous owner still had a functioning key. The car was purchased somewhat locally to me. My solution was to purchase Techstream as mentioned above. I also bought a new key fob and backup key. The fob was purchased from Bell Lexus on eBay for about $100. I was able to take pictures of my key and had an eBay seller make a copy for me. It works just as well as an original OEM Lexus key and only cost $14. I programmed the key fob through Techstream and deleted any previous key fobs. That way I knew I was the only one who had working keys for my vehicle. My local dealership (Lexus of Mishawaka) quoted me $269 for a new key fob, new key and programming.
Thank you so much for this info. Very appreciated.
Eric