IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07 IS350 Valve Spring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 12:35 PM
JDBIII
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 IS350 Valve Spring Issue

I need your guys advice and help on this. For those with an 07 IS350, you guys remember years back there was a recall for a valve spring replacement for certain model IS and others due to failure? I had mine done in 2011 to replace the valve springs at the dealer at around 80k miles. Well just recently about a month ago at 120k miles my IS broke down and had the check engine light on, VSC light on along with rough idle and shaking. I got stuck on the side of the road so I had the car towed to the nearest dealer near where i was stuck. So after I had the dealer diagnose the car the next day it comes to find out that there was a misfire on cylinder 2 and 6 and also hear knocking sounds coming from the left side of the engine. After going back and forth with the dealer for a few days they find a broken valve spring which also caused an oil to leak into the spark plugs. So they gave me a quote of about $5,000 to fix which of course that was expensive for me at the moment to pay to fix it. I took it up with corporate Lexus because this issue with the valve spring I thought was fixed already. I actually got an approval from corporate for them to pay to fix it but now the dealership is saying the car also needs a short block and a piece of the valve spring broke and went inside the cylinder which is now delaying the process and further approval. It's looking like almost the engine needs a rebuild?? I was told they can machine the heads. All because of this broken valve spring it would cause this much problems?? I don't know if the valve springs they replaced back in 2011 was the same ones or re manufactured ones? I know it's 6 years later but is this normal on valve springs for the IS350? There is no mods on this car and maintenance is all done with Lexus. Not sure if I should make a case with Lexus on this because this has been such an inconvenience and the car has been at the dealership for a month.
Old 08-31-17, 06:54 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same exact car. I don't remember if it was the IS250 or 350 that had the valve spring recall. I'm at 92k with no issues thus far but makes me uncomfortable. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in. Since corporate already approved the work, I'd think they should cover everything else as long as it's a result of the valve spring. Good Luck.
Old 08-31-17, 06:57 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 324 Likes on 140 Posts

IS350 had the recall for valve springs awhile ago, my dealership made me get new ones under the recall even though I had no problem with the original ones from the factory...
Old 08-31-17, 08:37 PM
JDBIII
Driver School Candidate

I had no problems with the car before the recall came either. What I'm wondering is if they used the same ones from the factory that had the recall issue or decided to make new valve springs once the recall was announced. I doubt a broken valve spring would break this quick considering the car is mostly a weekend car and commuter once in a while. It's not driven hard that much. I have a 05 corolla with well over 300k and no issue considering a valve spring. I know it's 2 different types of engines but if Lexus is making faulty valve springs for the 07 it should be addressed also with the short block since it seems like the broken valve spring caused more damage than I thought.
Old 09-02-17, 04:27 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

If a valve spring broke and bits of the metal spring got into the combustion chamber then it could have scored the cylinder walls, requiring a new short block. As Lexus will be paying, go for it!
Old 09-03-17, 03:19 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Typical scene goes like this; valve spring is a science of tempering a steel spring to flex repeatedly and maintain its pressure. Between the material used and the tempering process either can result in a spring that fails.

That said when a spring breaks the valve typically contacts the piston and gets it head broken off which then destroys the head, piston, and often times the cylinder wall.

This results in a long block replacement. I.e. block, crank, rods, pistons and cylinder heads...

Sound like they owe you a long block! Make them accountable...
Old 09-03-17, 06:36 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Correct. Any portion of the spring itself will not have entered the combustion chamber. The spring likely broke causing the valve to be out of sync with timing, thus leading to the head of the valve to contact the piston, and causing a bent valve OR a broken off valve head. Either way, the head would have to be removed from the block. Lexus would most likely just subplant an entire long block; but I have read about they paying a machine shop to basic rebuild the original long block too.

Keep us updated!
Old 09-05-17, 04:50 PM
JDBIII
Driver School Candidate

Current update at the moment. Apparently Lexus corporate is now saying they will only pay $2,500 for the damages of the engine. I was told 100% in the beginning from a case worker and confirmed by the Lexus service supervisor at the dealer. They are trying to change the offer now under isn't right in my opinion. They switched case workers during this process because one of them moved to Texas. I never had so much problems with Lexus before. They told me it will cost $11,600 to rebuild everything or $8,600 to replace the motor with another IS350 motor with 33k miles on it with only corporate paying their portion of $2,500. I feel like I'm kinda getting screwed here considering i was told one thing and now corporate is saying something else. I'm afraid if i do get another approval from the main person there and get another engine in that car it could have the same problems again.
Old 09-05-17, 05:43 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

What do you have in writing?

One detail I left out is this. Two things lead to major engine damage. Old school before electronics one could over rev an engine. What this did was float the valves which in layman's terms means they don't close when expected to on time. What this does is allows the valve spring keeper to come off which is responsible for keeping the valves spring contained. When the keeper comes off, the valve drops into the cylinder and all hell breaks loose

When a spring breaks it does the same as above. Without proper spring pressure, the valve spring retainer (keeper) pops off allowing the valve to drop into the cylinder.

That said, a replacement engine with revised valve springs should be OK. I'm just saying if all goes South and you have to accept used, get it in writing that it has revised springs in it and a warranty period.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
JDBIII (09-06-17)
Old 09-06-17, 10:20 AM
JDBIII
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
What do you have in writing?

One detail I left out is this. Two things lead to major engine damage. Old school before electronics one could over rev an engine. What this did was float the valves which in layman's terms means they don't close when expected to on time. What this does is allows the valve spring keeper to come off which is responsible for keeping the valves spring contained. When the keeper comes off, the valve drops into the cylinder and all hell breaks loose

When a spring breaks it does the same as above. Without proper spring pressure, the valve spring retainer (keeper) pops off allowing the valve to drop into the cylinder.

That said, a replacement engine with revised valve springs should be OK. I'm just saying if all goes South and you have to accept used, get it in writing that it has revised springs in it and a warranty period.

Good luck!
Very useful information. Thanks! A used motor is pretty much is my option at this point i can use. Machining the heads and replacing the short block seems like it will cost more if i proceed with a rebuild considering I don't know the extend of the damage to the pistons, rods, and etc. I'm sure when the car was at the dealer they tried starting it so much a piece of the spring could have broke off during that time. Waiting on more detail as corporate calls me on Thursday. What i have in writing so far is the quote of parts and labor to fix the car and numerous voicemails of them claiming they will pay 100% of the cost and emails. Also waiting on the first approval from the 1st case worker who did it the first time before someone else took over. They are trying to reach him in his different office in Texas.

Last edited by JDBIII; 09-06-17 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-07-17, 07:30 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

NP....
Abstract but go to a notary and have them transcribe the voicemails and notoraize it. Maybe cost you $50?? I'm not sure it will hold up but it couldn't hurt!

As stated before, broken springs typically stay on the valve stem. This is under the valve cover and rarely damages anything topside. It is when piston and valve make contact that raise hell. Weak and/or broken springs coupled with the piston hitting the valve unloads tension from the valve spring retainer (some call it a hat), with no pressure on the keepers from the hat, the keepers come out and the valve drops into the cylinder where things go from bad to worse.

Aluminum heads get welded and repaired all the time but usually not to repair catastrophic damage like holes punched through and things like that unless they are expensive rare/race parts. Production parts drop the hardened seat. For this they weld up the seat, machine it to accept a replacement valve seat and install a new seat.

Google valve seat replacement, welding, cylinder head repair in image mode. You will see some ugly turned around.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 09-07-17 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-05-19, 05:55 PM
n134sky
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDBIII
Very useful information. Thanks! A used motor is pretty much is my option at this point i can use. Machining the heads and replacing the short block seems like it will cost more if i proceed with a rebuild considering I don't know the extend of the damage to the pistons, rods, and etc. I'm sure when the car was at the dealer they tried starting it so much a piece of the spring could have broke off during that time. Waiting on more detail as corporate calls me on Thursday. What i have in writing so far is the quote of parts and labor to fix the car and numerous voicemails of them claiming they will pay 100% of the cost and emails. Also waiting on the first approval from the 1st case worker who did it the first time before someone else took over. They are trying to reach him in his different office in Texas.
So..........What Happened???????
Old 09-06-19, 11:38 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

Originally Posted by n134sky
So..........What Happened???????

It's been 2 years and the guy has like 6 posts total. Don't hold your breath....
Old 10-25-19, 10:05 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Looks like mine was done by the past owner...,.

ELF-REPL FUEL PRESSURE GASKE T-IS F,GS460,LS460,LS600H ~ ~ELF-SAFETY RECALL ELF - REMEDY NOTICE - VARIOUS MODELS - POTENTIAL FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR LEAK - SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN / / ~ ~LEXUS SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN ELF ~ ~136832 AGGB7B 410 PERFORMED A ELF SERVICE CAMPAIGN ........DONE