IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

VIPMotoz h7 Bulb question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 08:11 AM
6speedLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIPMotoz h7 Bulb question

Has anyone installed an LED headlight kit into the aftermarket headlights? My car came with the HID / AFS headlights. So im going to buy an h7 headlight conversion kit regardless. Is the LED kit a better option?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-17, 10:20 AM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedLex
Has anyone installed an LED headlight kit into the aftermarket headlights? My car came with the HID / AFS headlights. So im going to buy an h7 headlight conversion kit regardless. Is the LED kit a better option?

Any advice would be appreciated.
i had HIDs and LEDs before. Currently using LEDs. If you install these bulbs, your AFS will no longer functions. it's just something you lose with this mod. Also, I've used H11 bulbs which I think if the correct bulb for our cars. But H7 might work also, I'm not sure. I just know most/all use H11 bulbs

in my opinion. I prefer LEDs. They last longer and less prone to crapping out since you don't need a ballast. I have direct plug and play LEDs and they're awesome. Both HID and LED cost the same, in the end. So just take your pick. HID has color options but more prone to breaking and LED is only pure white.
Old 06-12-17, 12:10 PM
6speedLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knyg
i had HIDs and LEDs before. Currently using LEDs. If you install these bulbs, your AFS will no longer functions. it's just something you lose with this mod. Also, I've used H11 bulbs which I think if the correct bulb for our cars. But H7 might work also, I'm not sure. I just know most/all use H11 bulbs

in my opinion. I prefer LEDs. They last longer and less prone to crapping out since you don't need a ballast. I have direct plug and play LEDs and they're awesome. Both HID and LED cost the same, in the end. So just take your pick. HID has color options but more prone to breaking and LED is only pure white.
Im mainly looking to advice on installing LED in my new aftermarket headlights. If they will fit behind the removable cover on the back side. Im losing my AFS either way by installing aftermarket headlights
Old 06-12-17, 06:17 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedLex
Im mainly looking to advice on installing LED in my new aftermarket headlights. If they will fit behind the removable cover on the back side. Im losing my AFS either way by installing aftermarket headlights
You will need to ensure the heatsinks or the fan assembly will clear.
A pic of your light will be helpful here.
Old 06-12-17, 06:52 PM
6speedLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bazzle01
You will need to ensure the heatsinks or the fan assembly will clear.
A pic of your light will be helpful here.
I went ahead and ordered the HID kit just to be safe. That was my main concern.
Old 06-12-17, 09:26 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by knyg

A note for you.
OEM halogen using H11 but most of after market headlight using H7. As for HID vs LED, I refer HID due to the brightness of it. LED will give you the most accurate color temp but good HID kit won't disappointed you. I did test out Morimoto Kit and DDM tuning kit and very happy to both of them (DDM TUNING is cheaper)
Old 06-12-17, 10:59 PM
knyg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whitebeast
A note for you.
OEM halogen using H11 but most of after market headlight using H7. As for HID vs LED, I refer HID due to the brightness of it. LED will give you the most accurate color temp but good HID kit won't disappointed you. I did test out Morimoto Kit and DDM tuning kit and very happy to both of them (DDM TUNING is cheaper)

doubt it. I have vipmotoZ aftermarket headlights and it's h11 hid bulbs that it comes with.
Old 06-13-17, 09:50 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Really? I installed 4 sets of them and they all come on H7 (it printed on the lenses on headlight as well)
or they did change the bulb type cause I did all last year
Old 06-13-17, 10:18 AM
knyg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Really? I installed 4 sets of them and they all come on H7 (it printed on the lenses on headlight as well)
or they did change the bulb type cause I did all last year

perhaps. Mines pretty old. A few years. But all bulbs are similar. Just some different relays and plastic mounting shapes
Old 06-13-17, 04:26 PM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just ordered my set and also thinking about either ordering HID or LED H7

I think I will go with HID Low beam and LED High beam H1. But am not sure how much LM on the LED will beat the halogen intensity.

Time to check VIPmotoz headlight discussion thread!
Old 06-14-17, 04:19 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

scale from 1 to 10.
halogen is about 4-5
LED 7-8
HID is 9-10
The following users liked this post:
See5 (07-04-17)