IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

After market bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-17, 06:37 PM
1st250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market bluetooth?

So this being my first is, i do have a few questions ( no worries i'll search before asking). That being said, what aftermarket bluetooth systems do you all use? Mine came with a cheap blustream system thats great for music, but sucks for calls. Looking for a better option.

thank you all in advance
Old 04-16-17, 07:39 PM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have this one in my car; it works really good! I paired it with an MPOW ground loop isolator to keep feedback to a minimum (really have no feedback at all) and it has worked great every time I get in the car. I have my phone paired to the car bluetooth and the aftermarket one. This is nice because I can leave the SB360 in the center console and never touch it. If I'm listening to music and a call comes in, the car handles it and when I hang up the call on the steering wheel, the SB360 will pick up where it left off playing music again. In my TSX, I was always fighting to figure out which was going to pick up the call, it would ring through the car but sometimes the SB360 would pick it up and sometimes the car would, pretty annoying.

Also with the iPhone 7, I can be playing music wirelessly (sounds GREAT btw) and charge my phone at the same time.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Literally my only gripe is if you turn the car to accessory and start listening to music, then decide to turn the engine on, you have to push the power button on the bluetooth adapter to turn it on again so it pairs with the phone. A minor hoop to jump through for an otherwise sweet setup!
Old 04-17-17, 06:21 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Griffin Bluetrip AUX, I have them on all my cars. Works good,$20, fleabay.
Old 04-17-17, 09:23 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I went with a Himbox, after a large amount of positive reviews online
Old 04-17-17, 09:24 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Brian7 (maybe mandyfig too), in case you didn't read the OP's question, he already has a Bluetooth adapter that works great for music, but does a terrible job on phone calls. (He obviously has an early model year IS without navigation -- those didn't come with built-in Bluetooth functionality for phone calls) In your description, you talk about using your car's built-in hands-free system, which suggests that you have no need for your aftermarket adapter to handle phone calls. If you've never tested your adapter to see how it handles phone calls, I be hesitant to to recommend it for that function, at least until you've tried it.

I have a Kinivo BTC450 that's awesome for music, but when I tried the handsfree phone call function (just from grins, as my car does have nav and handsfree built-in), I was disappointed. Some of the problem was probably that I didn't have the control puck with the microphone in an ideal place to pick up my voice, but the person on the other end of the call had a hard time hearing me clearly.
Old 04-17-17, 09:49 AM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Brian7 (maybe mandyfig too), in case you didn't read the OP's question, he already has a Bluetooth adapter that works great for music, but does a terrible job on phone calls. (He obviously has an early model year IS without navigation -- those didn't come with built-in Bluetooth functionality for phone calls) In your description, you talk about using your car's built-in hands-free system, which suggests that you have no need for your aftermarket adapter to handle phone calls. If you've never tested your adapter to see how it handles phone calls, I be hesitant to to recommend it for that function, at least until you've tried it.

I have a Kinivo BTC450 that's awesome for music, but when I tried the handsfree phone call function (just from grins, as my car does have nav and handsfree built-in), I was disappointed. Some of the problem was probably that I didn't have the control puck with the microphone in an ideal place to pick up my voice, but the person on the other end of the call had a hard time hearing me clearly.
You're right, I jumped to the conclusion that he has a nav car but it wasn't specified in his post, was just assumed that he had a non-nav car since he isn't happy with the call function of the current bluetooth adapter. One can still have nav/bluetooth in the car and not bother setting it up and solely depend on an aftermarket adapter to handle everything. Lots of variables here really.

Paralleling what I said previously though, I have the same SB360 bluetooth in my very noisy exo caged Tacoma on 40" tires and have used the phone call portion of it and it still works great around town. I ask whoever I'm talking to if they can hear me clearly and usually they can until I get on the freeway and once that happens I can't even hear what they are saying anyway So as long as the device is placed on the dash where it can easily pick up your voice and your exhaust doesn't drone like crazy, it will work great.
Old 04-17-17, 07:03 PM
1st250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the help, i'll look over all the options listed especially since today the cheapo adapter in my 08 started to disconnect from the phone.

To remove a variable yes my 08 is a non nav car.

again thank you all for your suggestions.
Old 04-20-17, 11:37 AM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
I went with a Himbox, after a large amount of positive reviews online
I have the Himbox. Works great! Only negative is that there is a bit of static feedback on quiet music at around car volume 30 and phone volume max. I've used a ground loop isolator before but due to some unknown electrical reason, I've blown three of them when shifting into drive.

To OP,
For mounting, I put it to the right of the ignition and then tucked the wires away into the center column/console. Great location in terms of look, ease of function and bluetooth mic.

To BlkGhst,
Does your Himbox say "Your device has been disconnect' instead of "disconnected"? Mine does and it makes me laugh every time I hear it lol
Old 04-21-17, 08:11 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
To BlkGhst,
Does your Himbox say "Your device has been disconnect' instead of "disconnected"? Mine does and it makes me laugh every time I hear it lol
Yup, mine does the same thing. lol