Options for Aux/Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 09:35 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Options for Aux/Bluetooth

Hi all,

As you can see in my sig, I have an '02 GS300, non-nav. I've been using a tape adapter to stream music, and sometimes take phone converstations, but that's old news.

I'm looking for something that will allow me, under $200, and completely plug and play, to stream music via Bluetooth, so it has to be A2DP capable. Also, it should, therefore, allow me to take phone calls wirelessly, fade music out if a phone call comes, then fade back in. Also, it should have aux.

I've been seaching, here and there, since I bought the car in '08, and have found some really interesting finds. But, the one that looks like the most promising is the Grom system with the bluetooth dongle. Does anyone have this setup? If so, how is the quality of streaming music/phone calls?

Does anyone else have any other options? Also, I''m not looking to use an FM transmitter. I've also considered replacing the stock system with an aftermarket system, but i've decided not to take that route.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 10-24-11, 09:40 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_a...nterface_.html

69.99 USD

Add Grom Bluetooth Dongle + $44.99

i love this thing. straight plug into factory stereo harness in the back of the stereo. the bluetooth audio quality is the best out of all other options, tape deck adapter, fm transmitter. my phone is also my mp3 files, pandora, etc.
Old 10-24-11, 10:12 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also second the grom unit. have had it since 2005. no problems whatsoever. recently upgraded to the new unit to get bluetooth capability. so happy i did. stream music file, slacker radio, pandora and can take and make calls wirelessly.

i went with the USB unit, added Bluetooth, and a new iPod/ iPod/ iPad cable. got it for less than grom's site.

i would suggest going to http://www.tokensolutions.net/ or getting a hold of him on my.is and asking for a quote. he will beat grom's prices.
Old 10-24-11, 10:39 AM
CPMD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cartune
http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_a...nterface_.html

69.99 USD

Add Grom Bluetooth Dongle + $44.99

i love this thing. straight plug into factory stereo harness in the back of the stereo. the bluetooth audio quality is the best out of all other options, tape deck adapter, fm transmitter. my phone is also my mp3 files, pandora, etc.
Thanks! Besides listening to music, do you use it for phone calls? If so, hows the quality?

Do you use a car charger to charge your phone, or is there another way via this Grom unit?

Originally Posted by lexdymndz
also second the grom unit. have had it since 2005. no problems whatsoever. recently upgraded to the new unit to get bluetooth capability. so happy i did. stream music file, slacker radio, pandora and can take and make calls wirelessly.

i went with the USB unit, added Bluetooth, and a new iPod/ iPod/ iPad cable. got it for less than grom's site.

i would suggest going to http://www.tokensolutions.net/ or getting a hold of him on my.is and asking for a quote. he will beat grom's prices.
Thanks! In your IS, how do you access the USB files? Do you have a nav unit? When you use Grom to take calls, did you buy an accessory, such as a mic, or are you using the mic on your phone?

I'll contact that website and check them out!
Old 10-24-11, 11:18 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Its comes with a mic, you can put on the dashboard.sounds good. I dont use it alot, i dont like other ppl in my car to hear my convo. Phone calls comes in, phone let me choose to take calls through bluetooth or handset. I charge phone using car charger. Iirc the usb, you can put music files on a usb stick and scroll through them via the headunit like cd player
Old 10-24-11, 11:43 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cpmd
Thanks! Besides listening to music, do you use it for phone calls? If so, hows the quality?

Do you use a car charger to charge your phone, or is there another way via this Grom unit?

Thanks! In your IS, how do you access the USB files? Do you have a nav unit? When you use Grom to take calls, did you buy an accessory, such as a mic, or are you using the mic on your phone?

I'll contact that website and check them out!
it handles calls really well. it will stop your music and ring. you take the call and once you hang up, you're music starts again. it does not charge my phone as it is a blackberry, but i can charge via cig lighter. my grom setup can charge an iphone tho. i havent tested to see if i can charge via the usb, but the usb does play audio files. i do not have nav, so all my controls are through the stock headunit.

the bluetooth add on to the grom unit, comes with a bluetooth dongle and a microphone.

hope that helps. if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Old 10-24-11, 12:45 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Its comes with a mic, you can put on the dashboard.sounds good. I dont use it alot, i dont like other ppl in my car to hear my convo. Phone calls comes in, phone let me choose to take calls through bluetooth or handset. I charge phone using car charger. Iirc the usb, you can put music files on a usb stick and scroll through them via the headunit like cd player
I'm the same way! But I usually am in the car alone so it wouldn't matter, so that's a good thing haha.

There were a few posts that I saw on the 2GS forum about this Grom product having some issues. That's the only thing I'm worried about, at this point. I really don't have time to take out the unit and send it back, etc, as most others wouldn't either.

Originally Posted by lexdymndz
it handles calls really well. it will stop your music and ring. you take the call and once you hang up, you're music starts again. it does not charge my phone as it is a blackberry, but i can charge via cig lighter. my grom setup can charge an iphone tho. i havent tested to see if i can charge via the usb, but the usb does play audio files. i do not have nav, so all my controls are through the stock headunit.

the bluetooth add on to the grom unit, comes with a bluetooth dongle and a microphone.

hope that helps. if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
O.K. I took a look more closely at the 2 products I was comparing, the unit with aux and bluetooth vs the aux, bluetooth, and USB. I can't see myself using the usb when I have my phone and ipod with me, so I might end up getting the aux/bluetooth version.

So since you guys have this unit, and both use bluetooth, it seems as if you can't use bluetooth and aux at the same time, is this correct?

I found this statement on token solutions website, which wasn't on Grom's website

"Note: There is only one extension port on the unit - so you can have either AUX or Bluetooth connected at the same time". This statement was on both the above products I'm comparing. So I guess it's one or the other if I want to install it in an incognito area, like under the shifter.
Old 10-24-11, 01:20 PM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cpmd
O.K. I took a look more closely at the 2 products I was comparing, the unit with aux and bluetooth vs the aux, bluetooth, and USB. I can't see myself using the usb when I have my phone and ipod with me, so I might end up getting the aux/bluetooth version.

So since you guys have this unit, and both use bluetooth, it seems as if you can't use bluetooth and aux at the same time, is this correct?

I found this statement on token solutions website, which wasn't on Grom's website

"Note: There is only one extension port on the unit - so you can have either AUX or Bluetooth connected at the same time". This statement was on both the above products I'm comparing. So I guess it's one or the other if I want to install it in an incognito area, like under the shifter.
the reason i opted for the more expensive USB/ ipod adapter is because it has three inputs. USB and two of their serial ports. so i have the bluetooth dongle on one, and ipod dock cable on the other and a usb extention (which is included) and their all in my glove.

i dont need a 3.5mm input, although i have a cable from my last grom unit because i pretty much always stream music from my phone.

here is the unit i have: http://www.tokensolutions.net/produc...e-adapter.html
Old 10-24-11, 02:19 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

I opt for the 2 port. Didnt see the use of the usb for me. I use the bluetooth for phone and 3.5mm jack for everything else, mp3 player, anthr phone, or any other device with 3.5. Plus its cheaper
Old 10-25-11, 11:26 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

I have the grom unit w/ BT dongle ... my only compliant is the grounding of the grom box is very poor and it most definitely requires a ground loop isolator on the power leg into the unit. Grom sells the recommended hard wire isolator for another $20 or so.

On my unit, both the bluetooth and ipod inputs will play at the same time if both connected and playing. I usually disconnect my ipod when I want to use the BT connection.
Old 10-26-11, 12:20 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Default !

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
I have the grom unit w/ BT dongle ... my only compliant is the grounding of the grom box is very poor and it most definitely requires a ground loop isolator on the power leg into the unit. Grom sells the recommended hard wire isolator for another $20 or so.

On my unit, both the bluetooth and ipod inputs will play at the same time if both connected and playing. I usually disconnect my ipod when I want to use the BT connection.
What were the signs and symptoms of the Grom unit before you installed the ground loop isolator? I'd like to know what to look for when I install it, thanks.

Can anyone else chime in if they needed to buy the ground loop isolator for using AUX? Thanks!
Old 10-26-11, 02:29 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

I dont have whines, didnt need ground loop for my car. all Stock headunit,speaker,etc
Old 10-26-11, 02:54 PM
z0lt3c
Driver

If you do some searching on grom and whines, it seems about 50% of installs have power noise related issues. From what I understand, some very early build units had manufacturing flaws because when I called Grom to ask for help they looked up my build number to determine if the unit was defective or if it needed a software upgrade (my unit from Autotoys needed neither).

In my case, I had a high pitch whine, especially when charging a dead ipod via ipod cable. I found that using the Y cable to keep the CD changer harness connected also allowed the CD changer harness to act as an antenna, so I did not use the Y connection on the harness as the manual suggests. I also had a low pitch whine that would oscillate with the rpms of the car, most likely alternator noise. I was able to solve most of these problems, I still get occasion whine but it seems to disappear if I change a track or switch inputs.

BTW- This is with a GX470 so YMMV
Old 10-26-11, 03:22 PM
CPMD
Advanced

I dont have whines, didnt need ground loop for my car. all Stock headunit,speaker,etc
Thanks for letting me know about your situation

Originally Posted by z0lt3c
If you do some searching on grom and whines, it seems about 50% of installs have power noise related issues. From what I understand, some very early build units had manufacturing flaws because when I called Grom to ask for help they looked up my build number to determine if the unit was defective or if it needed a software upgrade (my unit from Autotoys needed neither).

In my case, I had a high pitch whine, especially when charging a dead ipod via ipod cable. I found that using the Y cable to keep the CD changer harness connected also allowed the CD changer harness to act as an antenna, so I did not use the Y connection on the harness as the manual suggests. I also had a low pitch whine that would oscillate with the rpms of the car, most likely alternator noise. I was able to solve most of these problems, I still get occasion whine but it seems to disappear if I change a track or switch inputs.

BTW- This is with a GX470 so YMMV
I see. Do you have any aftermarket equipment installed on the car? Also, when did you buy this unit? So, did you get the unit that has an ipod cable (to charge) with it? I did search regarding that specific unit, as I was interested in that one.

I haven't heard about this issue from CL/online until today. Hopefully, with it being an updated unit, things will go smoothly. Thanks for your input on this!

Last edited by CPMD; 10-26-11 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-01-11, 02:44 PM
CPMD
Advanced

o.k. here is the update: I installed the unit this weekend. It's a really great concept. The only problem is that I get this high pitched noise, when I increase the volume of my stereo, only when using BT and AUX. I then get static at higher volume levels. I contacted Grom, and they asked a few questions regarding the setup/issue. I told them when it exactly occurs, etc. It occurs when the engine is off as well.

They will send me out another unit, and they will charge me $25 refundable deposit, and it will be refunded when they receive the old unit back.

I'm hoping that the other unit they send me will not have any issues

I'm driving my car with only the stereo in, everything else is out of my car haha...kinda looks scary

Quick Reply: Options for Aux/Bluetooth