No power, no acceleration, engine sputter, 2 new motors, same problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 02:50 PM
CMoore002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power, no acceleration, engine sputter, 2 new motors, same problem

Hi guys,

First post here. I have a 2008 IS250. Long story short about June of 2014 my car was burning oil. The dealership put a new short block in it because it had a scored cylinder(it was under extended warranty). After the new short block in June 2014 the car progressively got worse with sputtering while cruising . When I would come to a stop after the sputtering I would have no acceleration. My tranny would shift through the gears, the RPMs would rise in accordance with tranny, but the car would only go about 20 mph. This would happen regardless if I stabbed the gas to to floor, babied it, or accelerated normally. After a few seconds it would clear out and go normally until I would cruise again. Took it back to the dealership, where my throttle body was replaced, and that didn't fix the problem. They then replaced my timing chain tensioner, that didn't fix it. They checked for carbon build up, checked the injectors, checked the gas, checked the gas tank, checked the fuel pump, checked the fuel psi, all of which was normal. They even tried a new computer which didn't fix the problem. There has never been a check engine light and there has never been any codes when put on the computer. Finally in July of 2015 (after in and out of numerous dealerships) they found out that there was a handful (8) of defective short blocks in the entire USA that caused an inaudible knock causing the engine to retard. Another new short block was put in and I picked up my car in August 2015. Now I'm here looking for answers or similar experiences because I have the exact same problem again with the sputtering, no acceleration, no check engine light and no codes. All the dealerships within 150 miles of me are stumped, and my local dealerships are giving me the run around. Headquarters has already had 2 open cases with me for this issue and cannot do anything to help until the car is inspected for a 3rd time.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could possibly be?!?! Could I have that good of luck to get 2 out of 8 defective short blocks in the entire United States??

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-15, 02:21 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Man, time to research your state's lemon laws. But perhaps it might not even come that. If you approach Lexus Corp with what you've experienced (and continue to experience), they just might purchase the car from you or give you the money towards another Lexus.

States vary on their lemon laws; but I'd believe that after failed motors and a soon-to-be third would definitely be a candidate for it.

Best of luck!
Old 11-24-15, 02:51 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
States vary on their lemon laws; but I'd believe that after failed motors and a soon-to-be third would definitely be a candidate for it.
I disagree on this point. In Florida, where the OP lives, lemon law only cover new vehicles and demo vehicles, and it ends 24 months after delivery. In your state, it's only for new vehicles and only the first 12 months. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is any state that would force a manufacturer to re-purchase a seven year old car.

I don't disagree with your advice to reach out to Lexus corporate though; they are usually anxious to provide customer satisfaction, and it's clear that someone at Lexus need to both expedite and escalate CMoore002's case and provide the dealer with the technical assistance that they need to make this right.
Old 11-24-15, 06:45 PM
CMoore002
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I'm taking the car into another dealer tomorrow morning. Hopefully someone can figure out what's going on. One dealership told me the solution to my problem was to trade in the car for a new one I really just want mine fixed lol. After trying to research more and staring under the hood trying to think of everything and anything I decided to check my oil and it reeked of gas... I'm now wondering if this could be a clue to the problem... It's a very strange problem since these cars are so computerized and have sensors on everything that I do not have a check engine light or any codes. Wish me luck tomorrow and keep your fingers crossed for a solution!!
Old 11-24-15, 06:59 PM
navarachi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CMoore002
Thanks for the replies. I'm taking the car into another dealer tomorrow morning. Hopefully someone can figure out what's going on. One dealership told me the solution to my problem was to trade in the car for a new one I really just want mine fixed lol. After trying to research more and staring under the hood trying to think of everything and anything I decided to check my oil and it reeked of gas... I'm now wondering if this could be a clue to the problem... It's a very strange problem since these cars are so computerized and have sensors on everything that I do not have a check engine light or any codes. Wish me luck tomorrow and keep your fingers crossed for a solution!!
Check your EGR valve. I had a similar issue with another Toyota a while back with similar symptoms. Keep us informed with your progress.

Thanks,
Old 11-24-15, 07:08 PM
CMoore002
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to let the service rep know to check the EGR. Thanks navarachi. I'm going to ask if possibly the coil packs could be going bad or went bad? Could it be as simple a a faulty knock sensor? I've gotten so Many different "your problem was" from the dealerships that my head is spinning. One dealership even tried a new Computer... The other one told me I was running my car out of gas, even tho the car will fail with a full tank...
Old 11-25-15, 01:15 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Definitely mention the smell of raw fuel!
Old 11-27-15, 02:15 PM
CMoore002
Driver School Candidate

Update: Lexus called today and said that the technicians couldn't duplicate the problem however they believe in having these issues because my tires are making a lot of noise when driving the car and the engine knock sensors are picking it up causing the timing to retard. I find this extremely hard to believe considering I have changed my tires in the past year and have still had this issue.
Old 11-28-15, 05:46 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Update: Lexus called today and said that the technicians couldn't duplicate the problem however they believe in having these issues because my tires are making a lot of noise when driving the car and the engine knock sensors are picking it up causing the timing to retard. I find this extremely hard to believe considering I have changed my tires in the past year and have still had this issue.
Lexus Corporate or Lexus dealership? Either way, they've got to be kidding!?

Old 11-28-15, 07:36 PM
CMoore002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Lexus Corporate or Lexus dealership? Either way, they've got to be kidding!?

Lexus dealership! Corporate won't do anything until I replace my tires to see if that solves the problem the service I have gotten and the ridiculous "solutions" are mind boggling. They told me until I replace all 4 good tires with new ones we can't proceed. That's at least $700 and I know for a fact that's not going to fix it. I love my car however it's very unsafe not having the acceleration when needed and it only happens when it wants to. If what they are saying was true my car wouldn't have acceleration at all times due to the road noise not every now and then

Last edited by CMoore002; 11-28-15 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 11-29-15, 01:12 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck on the issue. Glad I trade in IS250 for ES350. Even though it was running good.
Old 04-27-22, 04:26 PM
Mr350is
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,

First post here. I have a 2008 IS250. Long story short about June of 2014 my car was burning oil. The dealership put a new short block in it because it had a scored cylinder(it was under extended warranty). After the new short block in June 2014 the car progressively got worse with sputtering while cruising . When I would come to a stop after the sputtering I would have no acceleration. My tranny would shift through the gears, the RPMs would rise in accordance with tranny, but the car would only go about 20 mph. This would happen regardless if I stabbed the gas to to floor, babied it, or accelerated normally. After a few seconds it would clear out and go normally until I would cruise again. Took it back to the dealership, where my throttle body was replaced, and that didn't fix the problem. They then replaced my timing chain tensioner, that didn't fix it. They checked for carbon build up, checked the injectors, checked the gas, checked the gas tank, checked the fuel pump, checked the fuel psi, all of which was normal. They even tried a new computer which didn't fix the problem. There has never been a check engine light and there has never been any codes when put on the computer. Finally in July of 2015 (after in and out of numerous dealerships) they found out that there was a handful (8) of defective short blocks in the entire USA that caused an inaudible knock causing the engine to retard. Another new short block was put in and I picked up my car in August 2015. Now I'm here looking for answers or similar experiences because I have the exact same problem again with the sputtering, no acceleration, no check engine light and no codes. All the dealerships within 150 miles of me are stumped, and my local dealerships are giving me the run around. Headquarters has already had 2 open cases with me for this issue and cannot do anything to help until the car is inspected for a 3rd time.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could possibly be?!?! Could I have that good of luck to get 2 out of 8 defective short blocks in the entire United States??

Any input is greatly appreciated.
I have the same exact problem it just happened out of nowhere except my 4,5& 6th gear work I did the drain and fill thing 3 times added Lucas transmission fix didn't do anything new MAF sensor nothing new gas pedal module nothing I'm gonna try cleaning my front wheel speed sensor. Have any idea what lost communication with lateral acceleration module sensor and metal in speed wheel sensor mean???I have a 06 Lexus is350
The following users liked this post:
MrHarris (04-29-22)