IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is250 head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-15, 10:47 AM
Mturner262
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is250 head unit

Hi guys this is my first post here. I just bought an 08 is250 because I got a new job that requires some driving. I got the non nav non ml sound system but really need Bluetooth, and nav would be nice as well. After a lot of studying I bought the pioneer avic-7100nex head unit.
Mounting the unit will not be a problem for me as I've been a body man/fabricator for 18 years. It will be mounted right below the oem radio display after I relocate the hazard switch panel.
My problem, if any, will be the wiring. I have the metra tyto-01 to retain the oem amp. It says it works with the 2nd gen is cars but as much as I search these forums and others like them, I can't find anyone with an aftermarket head unit that mention using the metra harness on a 2nd gen.
Sorry for the long post but long story short I'm wondering if anyone knows if the metra tyto-01 will be plug and play on an is250. Thanks for any help you can give as I'd like to install next weekend.
Old 05-24-15, 11:40 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Crutchfield says it's not compatible, and googling around that seems to be mentioned in conjunction with 1st gen IS, so my guess is that it would not be plug and play.

You may want to consider getting a Roadrover unit instead if they're still on sale (search this forum).
Old 05-24-15, 08:49 PM
Mturner262
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks for the reply! I noticed that it was all first gen cars using that harness after I ordered it. The harness has the 2nd Gen listed as a car that it works with but I feel like it's not going to be plug and play. I have the wiring diagram for the car so I'm just gonna splice it in and see what happens. If it doesn't work I'll bite the bullet and let a pro wire it after I mount the unit like I want it.
Old 06-07-15, 12:58 PM
Mturner262
Driver School Candidate

I got the dash finished but can't get the radio to play and the hvac to work at the same time. I can only have one or the other lol. Looks like I'm about to just bypass all the factory stuff and start from scratch.

Old 06-07-15, 09:09 PM
Mturner262
Driver School Candidate

Anybody know anything about wiring these things? Looks awful sad sitting there all dark.

Old 06-14-15, 07:44 PM
Mturner262
Driver School Candidate

i think i figured it out. I have the head unit working along with ac controls using factory amp and speakers. Im going to test it out for a few days to make sure i haven't lost any functionality and ill post about how i did it. It is actually so simple its ridiculous that its so hard to find info on how to do it. hopefully everything is as perfect as it seems to be so i can get this info out there for anyone else trying to do it.
Old 06-14-15, 08:55 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

It would be nice to know. That actually looks pretty good.
Old 06-15-15, 07:35 AM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

I so wish someone close to me knew how to do this.. I would pay whatever I needed to get a touchscreen headunit installed lol.

Personally, I would start from scratch if I did this.. simply wire up aftermarket amps and speakers, bypass the factory equipment.
Old 06-15-15, 07:41 AM
Mturner262
Driver School Candidate

Honestly I was about to sell the radio and dash panel to whoever would give me what I had in the radio alone if they would trade me their factory stuff as well. I'm glad I figured this out first because I have about 20 hours in the dash kit.
Old 06-15-15, 09:50 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First off I have to commend you for your work and your skills on fabricating the radio mount and trim. Here's a link to what others have done. The biggest problem has been relocating some items which have been put behind or in the glove box. If you figured it out, then you are ahead! nice Job. You can see pics here throughout the pages. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...our-setup.html
Old 06-21-15, 06:27 PM
Mturner262
Driver School Candidate

I've been driving the car a while now and just wanted to report that as far as I can tell everything is working. Radio sounds good with factory speakers and amp and all accessories are functional including ac controls.

The only thing I did was removed all the wires from the oem 20 pin connector that would hook into the metra tyto-01 connector except the power ground acc and illumination. I wired those wires straight to the tyto-01 and hooked the rest back into the oem head unit board. I guess the 20 pin to the oem head unit only has to provide power to keep the ac controls functional.

I also modified the 12 volt cig lighter type plug to accept 2 usb extensions and the factory aux plug to accept the aux extension that came with the head unit so everything looks factory.

I did have to locate the vss and reverse wires in the factory harness to make sure I had full functionality. No pics but I can help anyone that needs to find them. I am very happy with this install and I think it will be a pleasure to drive now.
Old 06-21-15, 06:31 PM
Mturner262
Driver School Candidate

Oh here is the 20 pin after I removed all the wires that went to the tyto-01 except power ground acc and illumination. Don't know what the white wire is but it didn't mate with a pin on the tyto so I left it. Once I plugged this back to oem head unit board everything worked.
Old 07-21-18, 10:05 AM
SudoBailey
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mturner262
Oh here is the 20 pin after I removed all the wires that went to the tyto-01 except power ground acc and illumination. Don't know what the white wire is but it didn't mate with a pin on the tyto so I left it. Once I plugged this back to oem head unit board everything worked.
sorry to rebirth such an old thread but I’m seriously looking into this mod on my 2007 IS250. I would like to retain my AC controls as well “but” the difference is I’d also like to keep my factory Nav. 😔 I hope this works for me too.
ive been search for days and the information regarding upgrading a second gen IS factory HeadUnit is really fragmented. Maybe when I finally do my install I’ll do a write up or a YouTube be video for the other people who have factory navigation and they’d like to avoid paying $400 to best sonic for the all inclusive overpriced kit.