IS250 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-19, 03:28 AM
Gasejewe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help plz

Originally Posted by agarcia
My 2009 car suddenly won't start. It was 8 hours prior that it started up fine. It sounds like the engine wants to turn over but doesn't. It does not sound like a dead battery, the typical clicking you hear. I also don't think the battery is an issue as everything works and turns on. I read that maybe the battery doesn't have enough juice to turn over. I had some one try to jump me just in case. That did not work. The steering wheel is not stiff or stuck in a locked position. The start button light does turn green when I step on the break as usual. I noticed the brake is a little stiff initially, but as soon as the car tries to start, the pressure is released. Here are some recommendations I've gotten from non-Lexus owners.

-Spark Plugs
-Block in the Fuel Lines
-Power Steering Pump is out (I don't know why this would have anything to do with it, but I'm not good with cars)
-Bad Fuel Pump

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my car just came out of warranty and I don't want to tow it to the dealership just for something as simple as spark plugs. Thanks!
my 2007 is250 turns on but won't start,no sound produced,the start button turns green and all icons on the dashboard shows up perfectly what could be the problem
​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
rueshan (02-18-21)
Old 12-06-19, 07:01 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you hear any click at all when pressing the start button (with foot on brake)?

If not then i would think it could be your starter that is bad
Old 04-24-20, 11:06 AM
KeijoEemil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a ton to OP! Flooding was exactly the problem with my IS250 as it didn't start this morning. And had driven a 10-second stretch yesterday moving it in the yard.
Old 02-15-21, 06:43 AM
Turunturun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by agarcia
The solution: I am quoting the mechanic here " Press down both brake and throttle as far as both will go, then press the start button/turn the key" This forces air through to "unflood" the system. After a couple of seconds, the engine will turn over

I hope this helps anyone else looking to see why their car mysteriously won't start. Message me if you have questions!
Just created an account to say that my girlfriends 2010 IS 250 was doing same thing as OP, and this advice worked for me. Thank you so much for passing this along!!!! As with several others on this thread, your advice saved me about $500 and 6 hours or more filling with a tow, a dealer, and a hassle.
in my case however I had to smash the gas pedal and try to turn it over about 8 times. It must have been really flooded. The first couple times I did it, it sounded like it ALMOST wanted to turn over then died out. ( I was also in the middle of jumping the car so the battery didn’t die with the repeated start attempts.)
The third time I tried it after waiting several minutes, it started, revved up really high because I had my foot on the gas, and then after I took my foot off the gas it revved down and died immediately. But I was hoping I was on to something. After trying a few more times and it sputtering and not turning over. I let it sit for another 5 minutes, and then smashed the gas pedal, pressed the ignition, and it cranked over. Then I kept hitting the gas when it looked like RPMs were going to drop below 1500ish and ran it like that for several minutes. Then disconnected the jumpers and drove it to work for 20 minutes and we’ll see what happens when I try to start it at lunch time!
Old 06-25-21, 04:39 PM
Newme2
Driver School Candidate

Default Car won't start after new battery

Originally Posted by jkm1970
Power was turned on & left on for about 2 hours (I forgot & walked off) & when I wanted to go to the store, it won't start. I have power (lights on, check completef, etc., but break is hard & car won't start. I loosen the battery & tighten again after 2 hours but won't start either. There's a clicking sound when I push the start button but won't start. PLEASE HELP!
Anit. Anti theft immobilizer is on Google it you need to do the fob trick
Old 09-03-22, 11:49 AM
laurascara
1st Gear

Default What is it?

Originally Posted by heyarms
You can check your ignition fuses in the engine bay! I accidentally took one out when testing my boost gauge and without the fuse (or if it blew) the engine just turns and turns and turns, could also be something to look at.

If you know it's the fuel pump/filter, I apologize for the recommendations haha. Good luck!
could it be spark plugs? I’m going through the same.. I turn and turn until it does click but it’s bc I’m draining battery trying to start
Old 12-18-22, 02:36 PM
Fire01
1st Gear

Default Start up

Originally Posted by mrplesh
Do you hear any click at all when pressing the start button (with foot on brake)?

If not then i would think it could be your starter that is bad
Mine clicks, and all the lights are on but not start
Old 12-18-22, 04:09 PM
benztech82
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the battery is ok, I would remove serpentine belt and try starting it, it could be one of the seized pulleys. Alot of times when people have no starts, due to multiple starting attempts starter burns out as well, so just take it easy when cranking the motor, let it cool for 5 min after long cranking.