Is250 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-14, 11:57 PM
SJKNSW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is250 will not start

Hi all,

I have a very frustrating issue at the moment where the car will not start. I've run out of talent with my diagnosis, wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.

1) the car will crank over when I press the start button
2) the battery is fine.
3) there is ignition, I took a spark plug and coil out, earthed it to engine and can see spark when I attempt to start.
4) pretty sure fuel pumpis ok, I can hear the pump swirling during start process.
5) checked all fuses, look fine.
6) check engine complete on display, no errors

Either the throttle body or injection driver module is my guess at the moment. I've ordered diagnostic cable with techstream software but will take a few days to get here.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks
Old 08-17-14, 03:41 PM
2510al
Driver School Candidate

Hi , have you tried disconnecting the battery wait five minutes then connect again , this resets the ECU, worth a try, good luck.....

Allan
Old 08-17-14, 05:42 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to make sure the red security light is turning off with ignition on.
Old 08-17-14, 07:38 PM
hypnotized
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check the battery life in your key fob? Try your second set of keys.
Old 08-17-14, 09:05 PM
SJKNSW
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your ideas guys.

I tried disconnecting battery for 1 hour, made no difference. I will try the other key fob. Yes the start button is going green.

Does anyone know if these cars have an immobilizer?

If they do, does the immobilizer stop the engine from cranking over entirely over or just starting.

Thanks
Old 08-18-14, 03:42 AM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they do. That's why I asked if the red security light is turning off with the ignition on. The red light is near the radio you will see it blinking with the car off. Once it detects a registered key it will turn off.
Old 08-18-14, 12:37 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Any sort of aftermarket security OR stereo equipment installed in the car?
Old 08-18-14, 02:36 PM
2510al
Driver School Candidate

If the car is cranking over ok and you've got good spark then it more than likely a fuel problem or blocked air inlet.....

Allan
Old 08-18-14, 09:38 PM
SJKNSW
Driver School Candidate

Yeah thats what I'm suspecting at the moment. I even tried starting it with the inlet hose removed next to the throttle body and the throttle body closes when cranking. Cant read too much into as ive had the airbox disconnected to see it and it could be throwing the sensors out....

Here's a vid of it cranking with spark. Maybe someone can hear whats wrong ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr2Yf...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-19-14, 04:25 PM
angz300
Driver School Candidate

Default Same exact problem!

Originally Posted by SJKNSW
Yeah thats what I'm suspecting at the moment. I even tried starting it with the inlet hose removed next to the throttle body and the throttle body closes when cranking. Cant read too much into as ive had the airbox disconnected to see it and it could be throwing the sensors out....

Here's a vid of it cranking with spark. Maybe someone can hear whats wrong ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr2Yf...ature=youtu.be
This exact same issue happened to me when my 06 IS250 RWD MT stalled at a red light over a week ago. Once it stalled, it wouldn't restart and had to be towed home. I have my car at a mechanic now that works on my dads cars on the side when he has issues with his Fords/Chryslers. From the time the tow truck driver towed it from home to his shop, the battery was completely dead. Once he finally got it charged, he said that the code u0105 came up when he hooked it up to his scan tool, which is a generic code for "failure to communicate with fuel injector control module". He calls today to tell me that I probably should just have it towed to Lexus and have them hook it up to a more sophisticated scan tool because he was told by his buddy at Toyota that if it were the FICM, it wouldn't cause a "no start", so he doesn't think that's actually the issue. I have no idea if he has performed any of these checks that have been suggested here but I was curious to know if you were able to diagnose and fix your problem as of yet because it sounds identical to mine. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-20-14, 05:24 AM
SJKNSW
Driver School Candidate

Hi Angz,

So I got my MINI VCI cable with techstream software. Cable and software works perfectly. Ran diagnostics health check, got a few code on the Throttle body but then i remember these would have been triggered when i did a test with harness disconnected from throttle body a few days ago. Cleared the codes (disconnect battery for 10mins), tried to start again, would not start. Plugged in VCI cable again, this time no error codes.

Local dealer here in Sydney suspects it might be a bad batch of fuel with water in it. My problems started when i got back from singapore and car had been sitting there for 2 weeks. If i got water tank and stale fuel could be plausible i guess....

PS Cable is pretty cool, so many things you can do with the techstream software its scarey.
Old 08-20-14, 12:22 PM
Gville350

In 2 weeks the fuel would not have gone bad. Is it common to get such bad gas there?
Old 08-21-14, 05:40 PM
SJKNSW
Driver School Candidate

No I don't think fuel would go off in 2 weeks either. Never had bad fuel before either.

Will now leave it as is for a month, holidaying in europe for a month, will call road service and probly get it towed to dealer when i return.
Old 08-22-14, 09:48 PM
SJKNSW
Driver School Candidate

Called road service this morning, car back on the road!

Road service guy said it was the worst case of engine flooding he'd ever seen. He needed his power pack to continuously crank the car with accelerator pedal floored for about 10 minutes (small breaks). i honestly thought the starter motor would burn out, i would never have cranked it for that long.

PS The alternate is to take all the plugs out and crank it, a pain in these cars.

When it started, it was revving at about 3,000 for a while by itself.

So what caused it???

He said short startups and drives can sometimes trigger this off, ie moving car from garage to driveway to wash it. That exactly what i did before leaving for singapore.

I will confirm tomoro morning from a cold start that its still OK. It could also be a faulty temp sensor thinking the car is much hotter/colder than it is on cold startup and consequently flooding the engine.

Anyways, hope this helps someone
Old 08-23-14, 08:26 AM
Gville350

Wow, you don't read of many fuel injected motors (direct or port) getting "flooded" by fuel. I'd keep an eye of things and closely monitor your fuel consumption for any possible issues. But glad to hear its back up an running!

Quick Reply: Is250 will not start