Sound Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 11:16 AM
dayrinni
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Issues

Hello,

Something really odd happened to my IS350 today. I wanted to use my AUX jack in my smartphone to stream pandora while I drove. I plugged in the aux cable, loaded up pandora, selected AUX on the nav screen and then something bad happened: the speakers were making really weird sounds (I'm not really a sound guy so I can't describe them that well.) - such as some thumping and maybe a crackle or two. So I then turned the volume down low and then it didn't fix itself, so I unplugged my phone. I then changed back to FM.

But the distortion/issues didn't go away - now my radio was acting all funny and the sound was messed up. I then turned the volume down to completely 0. Afterwards, I was not able to turn it back up, both with the buttons on the steering wheel or the column **** on the console.

At this point, I decided to turn the car off and back on, thinking maybe it just needed to reset (Since I have navigation, maybe the internal computer got fumbled around or something). I turned it off, and then back on - at which point I heard a thump/crackle from the speakers(If anyone wants, I can try to take a video of this with my phone.). Everything(sound related) was still dead. I still can't change the volumne. I didn't try to turn navigation on to see if the woman would talk. Also, the beeping sound when I press buttons doesn't happen.

A few minutes later, as I was driving, my wife called me and the phone, via bluetooth, engaged in a phone conversation. I could not hear her but she could hear me (at this point I pulled over, turned the car off, and called her, where we spoke about what was going on).

Anyone have any clue what is going on? I have never had this happen before and I have used the AUX cable many many times with my IPOD. It sounds like something broke. Is this covered by warranty(I am calling Lexus tomorrow assuming they are open due to the holiday)? I'm not really good with fixing cars so I am looking for a bit of advice. If I have to talk to Lexus, I suspect there are certain things I need to say or put it in a specific way to help my case, so this type of advice would be useful.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-12, 06:12 AM
dayrinni
Rookie

I have an update to this. I called Lexus and they said this is odd and I should take it to a dealership. They said it is covered under warranty.
Old 11-12-12, 07:23 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what year is it?
Old 11-12-12, 07:26 AM
dayrinni
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shervin350
what year is it?

/tencharacters
Old 11-12-12, 08:10 AM
WeisISF
Pole Position

you may of cracked the speaker
Old 11-12-12, 09:01 AM
dayrinni
Rookie

Originally Posted by WeisIS250
you may of cracked the speaker
This doesn't sound (pun intended) good. I don't know how one would even do that.
Old 11-12-12, 09:22 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the internals of the factory amp aren't happy since its happening on all channels and not just one.

In any case, it's covered under warranty.

/endofdiscussion
Old 11-12-12, 09:46 AM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i know why you could hear her but she couldn't hear you...

if you are plugged in using the AUX and try to use bluetooth for the phone they won't be able to hear you as long as your phone is plugged in with an AUX cable to the outlet.

also, you might just have an AUX cable that is "going out/breaking" on you that could be causing the strange noises.
Old 11-20-12, 02:03 PM
dayrinni
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nikon
i think i know why you could hear her but she couldn't hear you...

if you are plugged in using the AUX and try to use bluetooth for the phone they won't be able to hear you as long as your phone is plugged in with an AUX cable to the outlet.

also, you might just have an AUX cable that is "going out/breaking" on you that could be causing the strange noises.
Hello! I was moving so I haven't been able to do much on the internet.

That is great info to know about the aux and BT thank you.

My car was picked up and brought to the dealership today. It was indeed a broken AMP. They are shipping one out from CA and they'll have to keep my car over the holiday weekend. The service person said he's seen this before. This covered from the warranty, so I am very pleased. I have a free RX loaner, too, it is real nice.

Thanks for giving me some infoz, this is the first time something broke on my IS.