IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So I crashed my IS ,totally pissed with my brakes and myself

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 01:09 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowman
Kurtz explained everything well. Tires are where the rubber meets the road.

Sorry to hear about that... looks like you need a new hood, bumper and grill

I don't see anything too damaging. Glad to hear you're ok
How long do you think it will take for the dealership to replace all these ?

Originally Posted by kickin8
it's the tires....

sorry to hear that....cars are repairable/replaceable but not the driver.

glad to hear noone got hurt
Originally Posted by 516IS
I am glad to hear no one got injured, I am starting to believe Kurts knows everything since that was also my first thought about the tires.
It could be the tires but both the times when I had to use panic braking , there was a very long pedal travel before it bit. This was the time my car kept moving forward even after jamming the brakes hard. Is this normal guys ?
Old 07-10-12, 01:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If you mean like pedal sinks to the floor then you might have had air in the braking system or something, that's not normal or working correctly.

If you slam your foot on the brake (like in a panic stop) braking, and ABS engagement, should be pretty near instant on any modern car.
Old 07-10-12, 01:23 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad Ure ok man
Old 07-10-12, 01:33 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If you mean like pedal sinks to the floor then you might have had air in the braking system or something, that's not normal or working correctly.

If you slam your foot on the brake (like in a panic stop) braking, and ABS engagement, should be pretty near instant on any modern car.
That's the problem right there. My car did not stop instantly. The pedal kept sinking in and I even had time to think WTF isn't my car stopping till it crashed. This happened twice. The second time was this which I wasn't lucky with. But no one will believe this unfortunately.

Do you know how air gets into the braking system and how to avoid this ? I usually brake very light , gradually and slowly. Maybe that could have made my brakes like this.

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Glad Ure ok man
Thanks mate.
Old 07-10-12, 01:35 PM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems the car is between yr 09-10 based from the rims on AWD, but your front brakes seems like from IS350. Which ISx50 is it ?
The reason I asked it's because I had the exact same situation like you. There was one guy infront of me and did an emergency brake, and my IS250AWD just can't stop in time. Luckily, I didn't hit the car.

I also notice the rpm jumps up from 3rd to 2nd shift during braking.
Is it normal on the AWD models ?
Old 07-10-12, 01:43 PM
minato
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zen
It seems the car is between yr 09-10 based from the rims on AWD, but your front brakes seems like from IS350. Which ISx50 is it ?
The reason I asked it's because I had the exact same situation like you. There was one guy infront of me and did an emergency brake, and my IS250AWD just can't stop in time. Luckily, I didn't hit the car.

glad you are ok, the car can always be replaced but human life .. not really.
what i noticed on my awd 250 is it downshifts quicker when I brake and the ABS works like a charm,
prolly you should get the brakes and tyres checked after repairs.
Old 07-10-12, 01:43 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like someone did not bleed the brakes properly
Old 07-10-12, 01:44 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by zen

Mine is the 2010 IS 300. It's a Gulf Spec car. Yeah it has the IS 350 brakes.

I didn't get time to see the rpm, in both the instances I just thought , why is my car still going forward after braking hard.
Old 07-10-12, 01:50 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by minato
glad you are ok, the car can always be replaced but human life .. not really.
what i noticed on my awd 250 is it downshifts quicker when I brake and the ABS works like a charm,
prolly you should get the brakes and tyres checked after repairs.
I definitely will check my brakes and tires.

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Sounds like someone did not bleed the brakes properly
No one is going to believe me now but I strongly believe Lexus messed up my brakes when they took it for cleaning.
Old 07-10-12, 01:52 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

glad everyone involved is OK. **** happens. dust off your shoulders get your car fixed,, with the new tires,, and possibly brake upgrade. and get back on the road. your insurance will cover it,,, just be ready for your premium to increase, being that it was your fault so to speak. don't let it get you down. it is what it is,, just keep it moving.
Old 07-10-12, 02:01 PM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
Mine is the 2010 IS 300. It's a Gulf Spec car. Yeah it has the IS 350 brakes.

I didn't get time to see the rpm, in both the instances I just thought , why is my car still going forward after braking hard.
glad you are ok, now just make sure the body shop do a good job on fixing the car.
Old 07-10-12, 02:10 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Sorry to hear/see about it. But your story reminds me of yesterday morning when a similar thing happened to me. Had to "panic stop" on a down-hill grade no less. My IS350 did great! No tire slip or chirp, or ABS shutter at all. Sucks bro, but good luck on the repairs!
Old 07-10-12, 02:12 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Does Lexus provide a loaner car during the period of repairing ?
Old 07-10-12, 02:15 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zen
glad you are ok, now just make sure the body shop do a good job on fixing the car.
Lets hope for the best. Thanks mate.
Old 07-10-12, 02:35 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zx7rou812
I believe you, brah. I've almost had the same thing happen to me on a few occasions. I've had the car at the shop several times to complain about the lack of stopping power and long pedal travel before "biting". All times I've been told it 'checked out fine' and 'everything was within spec'

Glad to hear you're ok.

BTW: spent a few months in your land circa late 90/early 91. Absolutely beautiful country with great people and phenomenal roads

Jack
One can adjust the brake pedal pedal free-play to adjust the brake travel as there is a spec range (minimum/maximum) for both AWD and RWD.

I plan on possibly getting the 07 AWD brakes adjusted because at any speed if I press the brakes, if I press very softly I do feel it but not really much of a bite unless I press about a centimeter or more in; this differs than my 11 RWD where if I press the brakes, I can feel the biting immediately which gives a better linear control on the brakes.

Were the brakes cold? I usually notice if the brakes are cold (ie, just started the car, or been on a the freeway for some amount of time and did not use the brakes), seems to be a bit over sensitive for the first few presses as the brakes just bite a bit too much, then it acts normal after the brakes have some heat in them.

Quick Reply: So I crashed my IS ,totally pissed with my brakes and myself