IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So I crashed my IS ,totally pissed with my brakes and myself

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 08:30 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
One can adjust the brake pedal pedal free-play to adjust the brake travel as there is a spec range (minimum/maximum) for both AWD and RWD.

I plan on possibly getting the 07 AWD brakes adjusted because at any speed if I press the brakes, if I press very softly I do feel it but not really much of a bite unless I press about a centimeter or more in; this differs than my 11 RWD where if I press the brakes, I can feel the biting immediately which gives a better linear control on the brakes.

Were the brakes cold? I usually notice if the brakes are cold (ie, just started the car, or been on a the freeway for some amount of time and did not use the brakes), seems to be a bit over sensitive for the first few presses as the brakes just bite a bit too much, then it acts normal after the brakes have some heat in them.
I'm not really sure , but when I do press my brakes gently, it brakes as expected. But each of the time when I saw a panic braking in front of me , I too know that my car can stop even in a much delayed brake situation but both the times my car surprised me , it kept going in front even after I braked hard .

Haven't really found out the reason yet but in both instances the cars in front of me stopped perfectly alright without crashing into each other. But my car didn't , so definitely something is wrong with the brakes. I am sure if it was any other car I could have avoided this accident.
Old 07-11-12, 11:22 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Sounds like someone did not bleed the brakes properly
Or his master cylinder is starting to give out.
Old 07-11-12, 11:31 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Can you take a picture of your tire treads? It doesn't sound like it's the tires though. From what you said about the brakes - it sounds like either the pads are worn or the brakes weren't serviced properly.
Old 07-11-12, 11:53 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
Good point. If it's having a problem that would definitely be a safety hazard where the brakes don't brake properly when one would really need them.
Old 07-11-12, 04:04 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The master cylinder and rear brakes are where I would look since those were both recalled.
Old 07-14-12, 01:50 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by B16da9
Not really sure what these are , but I'm assuming you're saying this since I described my problem. . The car is at the Lexus Workshop now , we tried to replicate the braking issue but my advisor was not trying out panic braking. He was just pressing the brakes slowly and that worked fine and before we could try to replicate the exact incident my engine over heated so we stopped and tried to cool the engine and then took it straight to the workshop.

Originally Posted by gyung
Can you take a picture of your tire treads? It doesn't sound like it's the tires though. From what you said about the brakes - it sounds like either the pads are worn or the brakes weren't serviced properly.
It's at the workshop now. Will take pics when I go there next time. It could not be the pads since it braked good under normal braking and it had around 70 % life in it the last time I checked.

Originally Posted by clubfoot
The master cylinder and rear brakes are where I would look since those were both recalled.
Really ? What was the recall on these 2 for ? I never received any recall info for this

The rear brakes do not bite as much since there never really is any brake dust behind.

Last edited by stanjohn12; 07-14-12 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Grammatical mistake
Old 07-14-12, 02:22 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Sounds like if you would only stop tailgating, you wouldn't ever put yourself in a position to have to "panic" brake and this accident would not have happened.
Old 07-14-12, 04:51 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Sounds like if you would only stop tailgating, you wouldn't ever put yourself in a position to have to "panic" brake and this accident would not have happened.
Agreed. I stay far enough away to see their back tires and and bugs the crap out of me whenever someone is tailgating me or is behind me at a stop light and keeps scooting closer and closer then as I'm scooting forward to get some space the d bag behind would keep getting closer.
Old 07-14-12, 09:09 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Agreed. I stay far enough away to see their back tires and and bugs the crap out of me whenever someone is tailgating me or is behind me at a stop light and keeps scooting closer and closer then as I'm scooting forward to get some space the d bag behind would keep getting closer.
Yeah, I hate it when this happens. I always make it a point to leave 1.5-2 seconds of room from the car in front of me (I use the lane dividers as markers. Once the back end of the car in front of me passes a given lane divider, I'll start counting "one one thousand, two one thousand" and if the front of my car reaches that lane divider before I'm done counting to "2", I know I'm too close).

If someone tailgates me from behind, these days I just let it go and change lanes to allow them to pass (the tailgater will inevitably tailgate the the next guy up ahead). It's not worth the hassle trying to teach them a "lesson" or anything by slowing down (or even worse - brake checking - I can't believe people actually do this. There's no way I'd willingly put my car in danger of being hit just to try and teach a tailgater a "lesson" that he or she probably won't learn anyway).

If the car in front of me is tailgating the car in front of him, then I'll actually try and leave more like 2-2.5 seconds of room between me and the tailgater in front of me, just to give myself a little extra cushion.

Man, if we lived in a world where nobody tailgated and everyone drove with the flow of traffic (usually anywhere from 5-10 MPH over the limit or even at the limit if that's how traffic is flowing), we'd probably have 50% less car crashes than we do now.

I mean, what's worse - a group of cars going 85 in a 70 but maintaining a 2 second difference from one another, or a group of cars going 75 MPH but tailgating each other? Sometimes I think officers are pulling over the wrong people. Yeah speeding excessively is bad, but tailgating is so much worse. Tailgating has always been one of my pet peeves. I make it a point never to tailgate the car in front of me. I always keep a respectful distance of around 2 seconds (sometimes 3 seconds if it's raining).
Old 07-15-12, 12:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

If my brakes started acting funny, the car would go *immediately* into the shop and not be driven. That is a MAJOR safety hazard. Not doing that is taking a huge risk that could easily lead to an accident. Oh wait, it DID lead to an accident. Sorry for your bad fortune, but I believe this is driver error any way you twist it.
Old 07-15-12, 08:59 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Honestly I wasn't tailgating that guy. I was just looking at my rear view mirror to take the exit and by then the guy way in front of me already braked for no reason.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If my brakes started acting funny, the car would go *immediately* into the shop and not be driven. That is a MAJOR safety hazard. Not doing that is taking a huge risk that could easily lead to an accident. Oh wait, it DID lead to an accident. Sorry for your bad fortune, but I believe this is driver error any way you twist it.
Yes I agree it was my error completely. I should have kept at least 2 car lengths distance away from the guy in front of me. Anyways lesson learned. Will not go close to any other car next time no matter what.