CT200h Steering Wheel in IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 04:51 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts
Default CT200h Steering Wheel in IS250?

Anyone ever considered it or tried it? I've been considering the IS250 F-Sport steering wheel, but I really hate the stitching on it. With all of the new Lexus models appearing to be going to this new style of steering wheel, I've sort of switched my thoughts toward it. The only issues I can see are 1. it might not fit, but that seems very unlikely, and 2. the illumination in the CT200h is white, so I'd either need to change the rest of my illumination to white or change the steering wheel to green. Either way it's not the end of the world.

Did a photoshop of the steering wheel (I'd probably do the CT200h F-Sport one, but couldn't find a good angle to photoshop it into my car, lol):

Any thoughts?

Jeff
Old 02-26-12, 04:54 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought I was the only one who wanted to do this

I think the new steering wheel design looks awesome... and want to do this as well ... but Im guessing the wheel will cost an arm and a leg...
Old 02-26-12, 04:55 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

I also confirmed that the pins would be compatible. The cruise control switch is the same as the IS, and the rest of the pins are close enough that it could be wired to work:

Jeff
Old 02-26-12, 04:56 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I thought I was the only one who wanted to do this

I think the new steering wheel design looks awesome... and want to do this as well ... but Im guessing the wheel will cost an arm and a leg...
Yeah I don't think it's viable right now, but perhaps in a while. The price for the steering wheel, plus switches, plus airbag would be considerable. Finding at least something used would be nice, lol.

For the ISx50 people sell stock wheels because there are other choices people want (flat-bottom, etc.), so it works in our favour. Not so for the CT200h, so I don't think there will be many for sale that soon, besides from Lexus.

The other thing is that if you have an automatic transmission, of course the paddles would disappear (not that they're really useful anyway though, lol).

Jeff
Old 02-26-12, 04:57 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CT uses a different airbag securing system (spring clip things vs. torx bolts) than the IS, and wiring/etc. to match, so it wouldn't directly work with the airbag assembly because the clock spring wouldn't fit.

I bet it would bolt up. Get a CT as a loaner and see if it works on another member's IS here and if you can get the wires stuffed in there.

edit: swapped "because" for "and"
Old 02-26-12, 04:59 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Yeah I don't think it's viable right now, but perhaps in a while. The price for the steering wheel, plus switches, plus airbag would be considerable. Finding at least something used would be nice, lol.

For the ISx50 people sell stock wheels because there are other choices people want (flat-bottom, etc.), so it works in our favour. Not so for the CT200h, so I don't think there will be many for sale that soon, besides from Lexus.

The other thing is that if you have an automatic transmission, of course the paddles would disappear (not that they're really useful anyway though, lol).

Jeff

Have you looked at the GS steering wheel as well? It has paddles!

Old 02-26-12, 05:04 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

There is also the F-Sport one.

The styles are similar but I do like the GS version better.

Old 02-26-12, 05:05 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by RandomTech
The CT uses a different airbag securing system (spring clip things vs. torx bolts) than the IS, and wiring/etc. to match, so it wouldn't directly work with the airbag assembly because the clock spring wouldn't fit.

I bet it would bolt up. Get a CT as a loaner and see if it works on another member's IS here and if you can get the wires stuffed in there.

edit: swapped "because" for "and"
Well of course you'd use the CT's airbag, so the mounting of it isn't an issue.

The airbag wiring is the same for both airbags. Only the steering button wiring is different, which I covered already, it is compatible with a connector/pin change to the IS connector.

Jeff
Old 02-26-12, 05:07 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Have you looked at the GS steering wheel as well? It has paddles!

http://stblogs.automotive.com/files/...l-1024x640.jpg
I have an MT. I have no paddles .

There is also the F-Sport one.

The styles are similar but I do like the GS version better.

http://images.automodifiedesign.com/...el-600x399.jpg
The GS F-Sport steering wheel (which that picture is), has the same stitching I don't like on the IS F-Sport steering wheel. Plus it has paddles, which I can't have, since I have an MT.

In any case, I'm not entirely sold on even doing this, it just crossed my mind since it seems to be the wave of the future on Lexus, so I was curious if anyone had done it before. From my research it certainly seems more than possible, but I'm not even 100% sure I like the steering wheel, haha.

Plus, I have a feeling the new RX350 F-Sport steering wheel may also be a good candidate, possibly with less rewiring to be done/more direct plug in. The ISx50 uses the same clockspring as the RX, though of course the new RX may use a different one, but it will likely not have paddles either.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-26-12 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-14-15, 07:02 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a CT200h F-sport wheel - so that is the easy part!

Will the spindle be the same for the two cars? I'm thinking the CT wheel would look good on the IS-F
Old 01-15-15, 10:16 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

The airbag cost an arm and a leg....but I like how it looks!