Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Not sure but it's kinda thin double sided tape to me
Old 02-06-17, 11:38 AM
thelastdon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Not sure but it's kinda thin double sided tape to me
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesive-Digitizer-Supersonic-Incredible/dp/B004WIQW3U/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1322457481&sr=1-1-catcorr&tag=ifixitam-20

I don't know what to call this stuff, I honestly never cared. But its technically more of an adhesive that is used like tape.

I thought they talked about the stuff in this thread? I might be getting my info sources mixed up though.
Old 02-07-17, 09:40 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using a blow dryer on hot setting is more than enough heat to soften the adhesive between the digitizer and plastic frame. Heat gun may be too much heat. Use a sharp razor blade to get in and pry the digitizer off but be careful not to scratch the lcd screen. Using this method you should be able to take the old digitizer off in one piece without cracking it. There should also be enough adhesive left over on the plastic frame so you don't have use double sided tape. But if you want to go over board and be safe just use some 3M double sided tape. If you are installing the digitizer on at 2006 - 20009 IS250 IS350 IS-F there is a metal frame that goes on top over the new digitizer so that will hold the new digitizer in place as well. I've done over 20+ digitizer replacements and have never used double sided tape on any of them. Hope that helps. Good luck with your installation! Also, don't forget to peel off the protective plastic film from the new digitizer!!!
Old 03-03-17, 07:29 PM
DoubleB
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation DIY Nav Digitizer replacement

I recently replaced the digitizer with one suggested from another member. After first putting it all back in the car the screen appeared and I was able to click the "I Agree" button and touch around on the map. Then the screen when black. Turned off the car and back on a couple of times but no luck. Radio and clock work just not the screen and climate buttons. Unplugged all harnessing cable and replugged back in and the screen came on for a second then turned off. I took apart the unit and check the ribbons and all connections and all looks good but still no luck power to the climate/screen. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 03-05-17, 07:40 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Take apart your unit again and recheck the ribbon cable, make sure there is no pin missing (gold pads on the end off the cable) I have seen one car with that problem already.
Old 03-05-17, 07:53 AM
DoubleB
Driver School Candidate

Thanks whitebeast for the the quick reply. I assume you are meaning the larger ribbon cable vs the smaller one that is for the digitizer?

Thanks
Brandon
Old 03-05-17, 12:51 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Yes, I mean the larger cable that for the Cudeo signal to the LCD. Make sure all the gold pins is good
picture attached
Old 04-18-17, 10:27 AM
cdeal6
Driver School Candidate

Quesiton, I ended up having to buy a used OEM Navi screen off Ebay, when I swapped it out (attaching the bracket and FM radio/CD player, and installed it, the screen comes up after running system checks, however, I can only hit the "info" button on the touch screen which only goes to "language set up" which is stuck on english (thats fine) but I cannot hit the "I Agree" to get past this. I disconnected the battery over night hoping it would reset but same happens today. Touch sceen wont move past the language screen.

Is there a trick to selecting the "I agree"? Any buttons I can push to get around this? Otherwise the navi touch screen has a 6 month warranty.

Thanks,
Old 04-19-17, 01:36 PM
cwazyguy22
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have the contact info for the ebay guy that fixes this stuff or any decent shops in socal area?

I'm having the second problem where the screen is completely blank and goes on and off intermittently and none of the hard climate control buttons underneath work. The radio is off and on as well.

From what I've gathered the digitizer route won't work for me.

Thanks
Old 04-20-17, 12:26 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cdeal6
Quesiton, I ended up having to buy a used OEM Navi screen off Ebay, when I swapped it out (attaching the bracket and FM radio/CD player, and installed it, the screen comes up after running system checks, however, I can only hit the "info" button on the touch screen which only goes to "language set up" which is stuck on english (thats fine) but I cannot hit the "I Agree" to get past this. I disconnected the battery over night hoping it would reset but same happens today. Touch sceen wont move past the language screen.

Is there a trick to selecting the "I agree"? Any buttons I can push to get around this? Otherwise the navi touch screen has a 6 month warranty.

Thanks,
Well, look like the problem you have it touchscreen panel not working properly. You should contact seller for exchanged unit!!! PM for more info
Old 04-20-17, 10:11 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cdeal6

Thanks,
The problem with buying another "OEM Navi screen" is that it still uses the OEM digitizer. Within a few months or years the ribbon cable on the OEM digitizer will give you the same problem.

I agree, you should contact the seller and get a replacement or refund. The digitizers I have have lasted me over 3 years with no problems. PM if you need one.
Old 04-21-17, 09:49 AM
Jleesd
Driver School Candidate

I did OP's fix on the NAVI screen and to this day it's still functioning but a bit wonky when it comes to really cold mornings. I just wish Lexus would have acknowledge that this is a pretty common problem and fix it!
Old 04-22-17, 08:43 PM
jmatthews
Driver School Candidate

I have literally had this forum thread open in Chrome for over a year to remind myself I needed to do this (touchscreen went out long ago). The most annoying part to me wasn't that I couldn't use any of the functions, it was that I couldn't turn off the display (I keep it off 99.9% of the time). Anyway, since the dash recall came out a while back and my new dash finally came in, I decided I'd go ahead and do the fix since I knew if I ruined the dash around the vents I'd get it replaced anyway! I ordered a new digitizer from eBay a while back. Finally did the fix this morning.

Most difficult part, far and away, was getting the vents out. My only tip is to be patient. It took me like 20 minutes of jiggling along with some prying with a plastic pry tool. I definitely cracked a bit of the dash around the vents.

The video on YouTube with the guy who removes the Nav unit without taking out the center console... don't do it that way. Taking out the center console takes like one minute and it's way easier to get to the screws that way (like in the first post!).

Disconnecting some of the wires was tricky, which I didn't expect, but not too bad. Replacing the digitizer was mostly trivial in my opinion. I used a heat gun and a razor blade to remove the old one, and there was plenty of adhesive left for the new one. Putting everything back together was mostly simple.

I definitely have a bit of prism/rainbow effect (I was certain I removed screen protectors from both sides of the new digitizer), but it's really not that bad and since I leave my screen off most of the time I don't even care. Also the brightness isn't what it should be. If you're ordering one, make absolutely sure you get one that people here have verified has no rainbow effect. If I cared enough, I would absolutely order a new one and redo the whole process.

Anyway, thanks for the thread! Huge thanks to everybody who has commented. Cheers!
Old 05-02-17, 09:38 PM
finest1
Driver School Candidate

hi all,

first off this is an amazing thread, and great work from OP and all that contributed. anyone wishing to undertake this project needs to study this thread and the 2 main vids on youtube.
I undertook this yesterday but I opted for a new digitizer as here in the UK the circuit pen is hard to get hold of.

I have one issue though. all went well. when I put the sat nav in the car I get a white screen. the digitizer works as I can hear beeps when I touch the screen, but no images, not even reverse camera

any ideas?

thanks in advance
Old 05-03-17, 12:36 AM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by finest1
hi all,

first off this is an amazing thread, and great work from OP and all that contributed. anyone wishing to undertake this project needs to study this thread and the 2 main vids on youtube.
I undertook this yesterday but I opted for a new digitizer as here in the UK the circuit pen is hard to get hold of.

I have one issue though. all went well. when I put the sat nav in the car I get a white screen. the digitizer works as I can hear beeps when I touch the screen, but no images, not even reverse camera

any ideas?

thanks in advance
Check the copper ribbon cable and the 4 pin plug that connects to the LCD screen to the navi unit.

Quick Reply: Frozen Navigation Screen Fix DIY