IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP!!!! Audison amplifier or the Hertz Subs givin off a bad/burnt smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-10, 09:28 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP!!!! Audison amplifier or the Hertz Subs givin off a bad/burnt smell

I just installed a Audison LRX 2.9 amp and a 12inch Hertz HX300 this afternoon
got the car back 2 hrs ago, and now the Amp smells like burn garbage and its hot to touch

Is the power the car generats greater than needed to power the amp/subs??

I read that there could b a number of issues, ranging from ovrheating the coils by clipping the subs, burning the speakers to simply the glue used to insall is burning off. But for some reason i feel that the smell is coming from the amp and not the sub

Can anyone help? whats the problem exactly? and whats the remedy?

Im pretty pissed off as i just got this installed and i havnt blasted it, so either they clearly didnt do the install properly, or im a total ICE noob . According to shop they have done it on Lexus ML systems before so i assumed they knew what they were doing

Pls help

Last edited by ndk83; 12-18-10 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-18-10, 09:29 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Right now the stereo is off, i hope thats not sending any power to the amp because i dont want the shop to give me any problems replacing it or doing whatever is needed to fix this issue.

The specs from the audison website are as follows:

Loadimp Stereo Mono
4ohm 2x260w 1x900w
2ohm 2x450w

Last edited by ndk83; 12-18-10 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-18-10, 11:05 AM
pepos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
Right now the stereo is off, i hope thats not sending any power to the amp because i dont want the shop to give me any problems replacing it or doing whatever is needed to fix this issue.

The specs from the audison website are as follows:

Loadimp Stereo Mono
4ohm 2x260w 1x900w
2ohm 2x450w
I have installed two LRX 6.1 and 5.1 with no problems at all.
In my set up, with ML NAVI, when the car is on also the amps are on even if the stereo is off.
This is because stock amp needs power all the time even if the stereo is off to manage bluetooth and guidance voice on navigation.
So there is no way to get a remote signal for the LRX that cuts the power when you turn your stereo off.
Just check with the ignition on ACC position if the amp light is on or off.
There is something wrong with the installation because AUDISON amps are high end brand especially LRX and THESSIS models.
LRX has two inputs for sound signal high and low.
The best way is to use a LOC and feed the amp with low signals.
AUDISON BITONE is the best high to low DSP in my opinion.
You need also to know that ML system uses 8 ohm speakers and Non ML 4 ohm.
Old 12-18-10, 11:13 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pepos
I have installed two LRX 6.1 and 5.1 with no problems at all.
In my set up, with ML NAVI, when the car is on also the amps are on even if the stereo is off.
This is because stock amp needs power all the time even if the stereo is off to manage bluetooth and guidance voice on navigation.
So there is no way to get a remote signal for the LRX that cuts the power when you turn your stereo off.
Just check with the ignition on ACC position if the amp light is on or off.
There is something wrong with the installation because AUDISON amps are high end brand especially LRX and THESSIS models.
LRX has two inputs for sound signal high and low.
The best way is to use a LOC and feed the amp with low signals.
AUDISON BITONE is the best high to low DSP in my opinion.
You need also to know that ML system uses 8 ohm speakers and Non ML 4 ohm.
Pepos, your right, i was wondering that myself right after i posted, and i went down and checked, the amp stayed on regardless of whether my stereo was on or off

On the website the load rating for the Audison Lrx 2.9 is 4 ohm/2 ohm
could that b the issue? Im not sure if i understand this but does that mean the ML system giving the amp too much power?

Did you ever experience such a bad smell when u first got ur install done?
Also does the smell occur when u clip the subs? I didnt turn up the volume louder than 45 (which is pretty damn loud, but didnt think id b clipping my subs at that level)
Old 12-18-10, 11:24 AM
pepos
Driver

Pepos, your right, i was wondering that myself right after i posted, and i went down and checked, the amp stayed on regardless of whether my stereo was on or off

On the website the load rating for the Audison Lrx 2.9 is 4 ohm/2 ohm
could that b the issue? Im not sure if i understand this but does that mean the ML system giving the amp too much power?
The output of our ML amp is rated at 8 ohms.
If the guys fed the LRX high level input directly from the ML amp then there is a problem because LRX can handle 4 or 2 homs.
It must be easy to see if they have used a line converter or not.
Also check if they have drawn power lines directly from the battery in the front of the car which is the right way to go or they were just lazy and unprofessional and gave power to your LRX from somewhere in the trunk.
If you could post some pictures to see the layout of your setup i could be some help.
I have upgraded the entire sound system (not just the sub) i was present during the process and i have some experience.
I didn't have any smells at all so i can't help on that.
I have tuned the sound system in a way that even if i go at max volume i don't clip my speakers.
I use Focal Utopia and they are a little bit expensive to drive them at their peak power.
I use the BITONE DSP to control everything from my laptop.

Last edited by pepos; 12-18-10 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-18-10, 01:14 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

The output of our ML amp is rated at 8 ohms.
If the guys fed the LRX high level input directly from the ML amp then there is a problem because LRX can handle 4 or 2 homs.
It must be easy to see if they have used a line converter or not.
Also check if they have drawn power lines directly from the battery in the front of the car which is the right way to go or they were just lazy and unprofessional and gave power to your LRX from somewhere in the trunk.
If you could post some pictures to see the layout of your setup i could be some help.
I have upgraded the entire sound system (not just the sub) i was present during the process and i have some experience.
I didn't have any smells at all so i can't help on that.
I have tuned the sound system in a way that even if i go at max volume i don't clip my speakers.
I use Focal Utopia and they are a little bit expensive to drive them at their peak power.
I use the BITONE DSP to control everything from my laptop.
No im pretty sure they drew power from the front, I wasnt there for the install, but when i dropped the car off i saw them working on a few cars and they were working on the engine bay so i assumed they were drawing batteries from the main battery

Pics would be useless as i asked to make it stealthy, the enclosures for the sub are in back of the trunk space w the sub facing towards the car. you can see the sub thru the rear middle arm rest (removed the hatch), but from the trunk it looks there is nothing there, and the amp is mounted on the side but again the enclosure just blends into the sides

Have u ever clipped ur sub and got a burnt smell? I mean i didnt have the music loud for that long, but you know, was excited w my system so i was bumping it (45 on the vol ****) but for no more than 10 -15mins

here are the pics i do have are quite crap, but it def was a professional install (Best shop in Dubai) and quite stealthy

I left the car in dubai as thats where the shops are so this is what i got right now

Old 12-18-10, 01:36 PM
pepos
Driver

Yes there is nothing to see.
Did the smell come from the sub or the amp?
If it came from the sub then you have burn it.
If it comes from the amp side and the amp is still working, there is a chance that the burned part is the line converter which might be located close to the amp. If the LOC they have used is bad quality or it can't handle much power in watts it's the first thing that gets burned.
A burned LOC used for the sub is very common and you are very lucky if this is your damage because is a cheap one.
It's better to get the car back to the shop.
Explain them that the ML amp has an output resistance of 8 ohms.
Ask them if they have used a quality one high to low line converter.
Ask them to dismantle the stealthy constuction of the LRX in front of you and see by yourself what was burned.
If you use now your stereo in low volume does your sub working?
If it does and as you raise the volume you have the smell then 90% it's your LOC.

Last edited by pepos; 12-18-10 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-18-10, 02:19 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Yes there is nothing to see.
Did the smell come from the sub or the amp?
If it came from the sub then you have burn it.
If it comes from the amp side and the amp is still working, there is a chance that the burned part is the line converter which might be located close to the amp. If the LOC they have used is bad quality or it can't handle much power in watts it's the first thing that gets burned.
A burned LOC used for the sub is very common and you are very lucky if this is your damage because is a cheap one.
It's better to get the car back to the shop.
Explain them that the ML amp has an output resistance of 8 ohms.
Ask them if they have used a quality one high to low line converter.
Ask them to dismantle the stealthy constuction of the LRX in front of you and see by yourself what was burned.
If you use now your stereo in low volume does your sub working?
If it does and as you raise the volume you have the smell then 90% it's your LOC.
Smell is coming from the amp i think

I cant see why it would be sub because i didnt bump it too loud and i had the bass on 2, didnt even go all the way up and i wasng even playing music for that long. If it is, i hope that the shop replace the sub

Thats the plan, to take it back to shop and have check out

Everything is/was working fine, sub works fine, amp works fine, there was no distortions or crackles. The smell lingered for a bit after i turned the system off. At first i thought it was outside smell, but then after 3 mins of driving the smell didnt go away i realised it could b the system. Then i turned the car off and let it rest for 15 mins, and then took it for a ride, w the power on the audio off, i started to smell the burnt rubber smell again ( w no music playing) I found it very strange and thats why i thought the smell was comin from the amp

Ive been reading that sometimes brand new high power subs sometimes have a break in smell that smells like burn rubber, i hope this is case here
Old 12-18-10, 02:19 PM
pepos
Driver

Here is my setup of the two LRX on the spare wheel place and the subwoofer box in the trunk.
I installed the sub in the original location.
All i had to do is widen the hole to fit the new 10" Focal Utopia.
The AUDISON BITONE one is located in where your LRX is installed.
Attached Thumbnails HELP!!!! Audison amplifier or the Hertz Subs givin off a bad/burnt smell-audison-lrx.jpg   HELP!!!! Audison amplifier or the Hertz Subs givin off a bad/burnt smell-subwoofer-box.jpg   HELP!!!! Audison amplifier or the Hertz Subs givin off a bad/burnt smell-sub1.jpg   HELP!!!! Audison amplifier or the Hertz Subs givin off a bad/burnt smell-sub2.jpg   HELP!!!! Audison amplifier or the Hertz Subs givin off a bad/burnt smell-sub3.jpg  

Old 12-18-10, 02:26 PM
pepos
Driver

Smell is coming from the amp i think

I cant see why it would be sub because i didnt bump it too loud and i had the bass on 2, didnt even go all the way up and i wasng even playing music for that long. If it is, i hope that the shop replace the sub

Thats the plan, to take it back to shop and have check out

Everything is/was working fine, sub works fine, amp works fine, there was no distortions or crackles. The smell lingered for a bit after i turned the system off. At first i thought it was outside smell, but then after 3 mins of driving the smell didnt go away i realised it could b the system. Then i turned the car off and let it rest for 15 mins, and then took it for a ride, w the power on the audio off, i started to smell the burnt rubber smell again ( w no music playing) I found it very strange and thats why i thought the smell was comin from the amp

Ive been reading that sometimes brand new high power subs sometimes have a break in smell that smells like burn rubber, i hope this is case here
Hope that everything works for you.
Just give an update of what was wrong when you fix it.
Old 12-18-10, 02:39 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Will do man, thanks for all your help

sick set up u got btw, and im not just refering to your sound system

When im down in greece next (visit regularly), would love to check out ur ride
Old 12-18-10, 02:44 PM
pepos
Driver

Will do man, thanks for all your help

sick set up u got btw, and im not just refering to your sound system

When im down in greece next (visit regularly), would love to check out ur ride
As most of midle east people do hahaha.
Greece is one of your favorites.
Any time man, would be glad to have you here.
pm'd you.
Old 12-20-10, 11:03 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Yea so it turned out to be a faulty LOC cable according to the shop.

Hehe thank god. But i knew it couldnt have possibly blown the sub or amp. My greatest fear was that they didnt even use a loc and therefore would have burnt out the amp. So thank god that wasnt the case
Old 12-20-10, 11:16 AM
pepos
Driver

Yea so it turned out to be a faulty LOC cable according to the shop.

Hehe thank god. But i knew it couldnt have possibly blown the sub or amp. My greatest fear was that they didnt even use a loc and therefore would have burnt out the amp. So thank god that wasnt the case
Nice to hear mate
All good at the end
Happy listenings.