OEM Audio System Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 06:48 PM
kl323
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Audio System Question

Hey all,

I've been getting feedback from my passengers in the rear. They are telling me that sound in the back sounds really low. The volume is cranked up to the high 20s/low 30s.

I have no problem hearing in the front. So I decided to shift all the sound to the rear speakers. And from what I can hear, it seems that the sound is only coming out from those tiny speakers near the door handles.

I'm kinda disappointed with the quality. My prev Honda w/ OEM stereo sounded better...

Is this normal? I've tried activating the DSP, but that doesn't do much to make it louder. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-21-10, 07:01 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid question but have you checked the rest of the settings?
Old 02-21-10, 07:07 PM
kl323
Pole Position

What other settings are there?

I went into the Audio setting, where I can set the bass, treble, DSP, speaker output (front/rear/left/right). I made sure everything is in the middle.

But the truth is..when I push everything to the front, it sounds loud.. Push everything to the back, sounds really faint (as if the sound only comes out from those tiny speakers on the door).
Old 02-21-10, 07:22 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how old is your car, and there might be a possibility of them being blown or, an amp problem
Old 02-21-10, 07:23 PM
giantdefy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tested mine, its pretty freakin loud in the back!
Old 02-21-10, 07:34 PM
kl323
Pole Position

4 wks old lol
Old 02-21-10, 07:35 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Same here. I was re tunning my amp becuase i replaced it. Thats wierd maybe u got lemon?
Old 02-22-10, 08:26 PM
Tonytons
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I did the same check on my new 250 and sure enough, mine is the same way
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...lies/Peace.gif

I even put my ipod to a deep bass hitting song I have and the front door speakers hit really hard, but when I move the setting to only power the back speakers, it was very disappointing! My 2000 jeep wrangler sounds better, WTF!

So I called lexus and the guy told me to bring it down on friday and he will check it out.

My guess, the amp is not powering the rear door 6.5" mini woofers and the only giving a small amount of juice to the 8" sub in the back as well. Seems they only hit the mids (center) and highs (on top) like you said.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...lies/frown.gif
Old 02-22-10, 08:42 PM
kl323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tonytons
I did the same check on my new 250 and sure enough, mine is the same way
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...lies/Peace.gif

I even put my ipod to a deep bass hitting song I have and the front door speakers hit really hard, but when I move the setting to only power the back speakers, it was very disappointing! My 2000 jeep wrangler sounds better, WTF!

So I called lexus and the guy told me to bring it down on friday and he will check it out.

My guess, the amp is not powering the rear door 6.5" mini woofers and the only giving a small amount of juice to the 8" sub in the back as well. Seems they only hit the mids (center) and highs (on top) like you said.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...lies/frown.gif
Hey! Let us know how it goes! I'm slowly getting to the 1k mark. I'll have them check it out when I get there.

But yeah, definitely let us know!
Old 02-22-10, 09:50 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there is something definately wrong, but dont sweat it your under warranty. they'll replace it brand new hopefully
Old 02-23-10, 09:06 PM
Tonytons
Driver School Candidate

hahahaha, ya I only have 1,600 miles on mine, got it in dec. to remember event lol but ya I called my service advisor Richard and he said he will have a look at it when I drop it off friday.

I kinda am getting to obsessed over this but this is what I found so far.

I thought all doors speakers were the same but they are not when it comes to the woofers. The 1" tweeters are on all doors on top, then 2.5 mid range speakers in the middle on all doors, and the woofers are Different, the back door speakers are 4" woofers while the front door speaker woofers are 6.5". So thats one thing. The back speakers are smaller and are not used for bass more than they are used for back up speakers for backing up the back mid range speakers kinda like (home theater surround sound speaker) each is used differently and when combined together makes the whole sound come together.

And lastly the 8" sub in the back. Its inverted! WFT!!!

I am looking at another post I comment on and some guys are replacing there sub, and what im thinking is, if I can remove the sub panel without breaking anything once I do, thinking of flipping placing the sub in the correct way! (Thats my master plan Cuz if you play the music loud, then go in your trunk, you can see about 6 oval holes on top of the lining of the trunk, and thats where your sub is facing downward in your trunk! STUPID!!! Along with no folding seat too!!!

Here is the other link.

Tony

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-sub-help.html
Old 05-05-10, 08:49 PM
wyee99
Pole Position

So I got my car back from the dealership regarding the same thing you guys mentioned in this thread cuz i'm having the same problem with my speakers at the back. The technician said that's its normal and that's how it operates... Anyone got a different opinion?
Old 05-05-10, 09:04 PM
650IS350
Lead Lap

22-28 isn't really loud, if you want it to thump you would have to be around 35-45
Old 05-05-10, 09:12 PM
kl323
Pole Position

When I brought it in, I was told that the rear speaker is the subwoofer. It's not really suppose to generate sound.

They told me they rebooted the audio system. But it sounds about the same to me..
Old 05-06-10, 12:16 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no one complains on how quiet mine is.....1200 watts rms coming from the trunk 2-12's and my volume is always at 45-50. i know, im the obnoxious guy at the intersection you can hear from accross the way. but thats the way i roll

Quick Reply: OEM Audio System Question